Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

freddomseven

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2020
Hi, Im looking for a full version of the 10.14.4 OS
I need this as it seems to be the only OS that works with Sapphire 8GB video card that doesn't continually spin up the fans on a Mac Pro 5,1
There seems to be an issue with any of the OSs above this
Thanks

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
Hi, its this card

Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5 AMD Graphics Card​

Ok I have the nitro+ version of that card. Mine was spinning up and down constantly every 2 mins as temps fluctuate between 46 and 52 - but not at full speed. Is yours doing this?

If this is the case, even though my system is a hackintosh, the patch i created (likely needs modifications though) should work for you too. I basically patched my vbios on the fly using opencore so the GPU always spins at a low rate (15%) This keeps the GPU temps at a nice constant 29-35 depending on winter/summer. Still working great in Big sur 11.6.

You will need opencore (a bit easier if you're already running it for bootscreen on 5,1) or actually flash the custom vbios rom to your card (not recommended, since your card only has one ) Let me know if you rather do this patching vs staying on 10.4.4

freddomseven

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2020
Ok I have the nitro+ version of that card. Mine was spinning up and down constantly every 2 mins as temps fluctuate between 46 and 52 - but not at full speed. Is yours doing this?

If this is the case, even though my system is a hackintosh, the patch i created (likely needs modifications though) should work for you too. I basically patched my vbios on the fly using opencore so the GPU always spins at a low rate (15%) This keeps the GPU temps at a nice constant 29-35 depending on winter/summer. Still working great in Big sur 11.6.

You will need opencore (a bit easier if you're already running it for bootscreen on 5,1) or actually flash the custom vbios rom to your card (not recommended, since your card only has one ) Let me know if you rather do this patching vs staying on 10.4.4
Id rather not install another OS, so the patch would be great thanks
Im not a super user like yourself by the sound of it
But am pretty good at following steps(if this is possible ?)
Im not entirely sure what it means to use open core or how to make modifications to vbios
But if there is a guide I can follow id be up for that thanks

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
Id rather not install another OS, so the patch would be great thanks
Im not a super user like yourself by the sound of it
But am pretty good at following steps(if this is possible ?)
Im not entirely sure what it means to use open core or how to make modifications to vbios
But if there is a guide I can follow id be up for that thanks
I wrote a guide last year on how to do this: https://www.reddit.com/r/hackintosh/comments/hs2hr1/_/fy7v7dp

You also need windows to dump your ROM so i can see where the offsets for the powerplay tables are. It's a bit involved so I dont mind doing this part for you using the pulse rom found here : https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/197079/sapphire-rx580-8192-171103

Opencore (see: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/opencore-on-the-mac-pro.2207814/) is bootloader that allows you to boot macOS on your 5,1 with a bootscreen (that apple logo with a progressbar) among other tweaks like HEVC acceleration. If you're not using it, i'm guessing you have no boot screen with your rx580 and goes directly from black screen to the login screen, which brings us to an important question:

is your rx 580 unmodified? aka you didn't buy it from any place that flashed a mac compatible ROM to it. In other words, you don't see the apple logo on startup.

freddomseven

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2020
I wrote a guide last year on how to do this: https://www.reddit.com/r/hackintosh/comments/hs2hr1/_/fy7v7dp

You also need windows to dump your ROM so i can see where the offsets for the powerplay tables are. It's a bit involved so I dont mind doing this part for you using the pulse rom found here : https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/197079/sapphire-rx580-8192-171103

Opencore (see: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/opencore-on-the-mac-pro.2207814/) is bootloader that allows you to boot macOS on your 5,1 with a bootscreen (that apple logo with a progressbar) among other tweaks like HEVC acceleration. If you're not using it, i'm guessing you have no boot screen with your rx580 and goes directly from black screen to the login screen, which brings us to an important question:

is your rx 580 unmodified? aka you didn't buy it from any place that flashed a mac compatible ROM to it. In other words, you don't see the apple logo on startup.
Thanks for all of this
Unfortunately my 2012 MacBook Pro Retina, has just decided to get stuck on the apple progress screen
And I’m having trouble getting past that
So I’m gonna have to take care of that issue first as it’s my everyday/all day computer
Thanks

freddomseven

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2020

Hi again
Im running a wine app on my Mac that allows me to open windows programs
Can I use this for the windows part of what you’re saying ?

Maybe I have opencore as I see the apple and progression bar ?

As of the card being modified, I don’t think so
I might have bought it from someone who was already using it in a Mac
But I can’t remember as it was a while ago

After some research last night I see that I can run Big Sur on it and realised that’s what you’re running too
So might be an idea to upgrade to that too !
Was there specific reason you went to Big Sur ?

Many thanks for all of your help
Truly appreciated

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
Hi again
Im running a wine app on my Mac that allows me to open windows programs
Can I use this for the windows part of what you’re saying ?

Maybe I have opencore as I see the apple and progression bar ?

As of the card being modified, I don’t think so
I might have bought it from someone who was already using it in a Mac
But I can’t remember as it was a while ago

After some research last night I see that I can run Big Sur on it and realised that’s what you’re running too
So might be an idea to upgrade to that too !
Was there specific reason you went to Big Sur ?

Many thanks for all of your help
Truly appreciated
No. Unfortunately wine does not have direct access to the GPU. do you know how to mount your efi partition so we can check for open core. That being said… unless someone set it up for you, you would know so maybe that card has a Mac firmware flashed to it. This is important since if it’s been tampered, I wont be able to use the default ROMs available online to figure out where your powerplay table are.

I went big sur since it’s stable enough now(been testing it on a spare ssd). Plus mojave lost security support and catalina is still terrible. Also better compatibility with my iOS 14 devices and sidecar support

your 5,1 will need the surplus patch if you plan to go to big sur.

do you feel comfortable enough setting up open core yourself? of course, set it up on a USB drive first before tampering with your internal drive‘s EFI partition

Last edited:

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
To answer the original request…you can get the macOS 10.14.4 installer via the MDS app.

This shows what is currently available:

Screen Shot 2021-10-25 at 8.34.39 AM.png

freddomseven

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2020
No. Unfortunately wine does not have direct access to the GPU. do you know how to mount your efi partition so we can check for open core. That being said… unless someone set it up for you, you would know so maybe that card has a Mac firmware flashed to it. This is important since if it’s been tampered, I wont be able to use the default ROMs available online to figure out where your powerplay table are.

I went big sur since it’s stable enough now(been testing it on a spare ssd). Plus mojave lost security support and catalina is still terrible. Also better compatibility with my iOS 14 devices and sidecar support

your 5,1 will need the surplus patch if you plan to go to big sur.

do you feel comfortable enough setting up open core yourself? of course, set it up on a USB drive first before tampering with your internal drive‘s EFI partition
Hey Saudor

Do you mean I need Windows on my Mac to do this ?
Or just access to another windows computer ?

Im not sure as of mounting efi
I think I might have done some terminal hacks, but wouldve been following someone elses notes i was following
Couldnt find any info on my ebay purchase that stated anything about the card being already flashed up for Mac
If my memory serves me righ, i think i just installed it and it was all good

Id like to run Big Sur to run latest version of Davinci Resolve and update Logic aswell
Dont know anything about the surplus patch ?
Do you have a link for the Big Sur full download ?

I found this link about setting up opencore efi and the Big Sur download all in one
What do you think ?
If thats good, im fine with setting that up

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
Hey Saudor

Do you mean I need Windows on my Mac to do this ?
Or just access to another windows computer ?

Im not sure as of mounting efi
I think I might have done some terminal hacks, but wouldve been following someone elses notes i was following
Couldnt find any info on my ebay purchase that stated anything about the card being already flashed up for Mac
If my memory serves me righ, i think i just installed it and it was all good

Id like to run Big Sur to run latest version of Davinci Resolve and update Logic aswell
Dont know anything about the surplus patch ?
Do you have a link for the Big Sur full download ?

I found this link about setting up opencore efi and the Big Sur download all in one
What do you think ?
If thats good, im fine with setting that up
That one is for hackintosh. The one you need is this one

putting the card in a windows computer works too. You just need to dump the rom off the card. We are not flashing it in any way.

to verify again.. the issue you have is the fans spinning up for a few minutes, spinning down for a while and this repeats right ? I’m asking this since ive had this issue in high Sierra too.

freddomseven

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2020

putting the card in a windows computer works too. You just need to dump the rom off the card. We are not flashing it in any way.

to verify again.. the issue you have is the fans spinning up for a few minutes, spinning down for a while and this repeats right ? I’m asking this since ive had this issue in high Sierra too.
Thanks for that Saudor

So I guess I’ll just follow instructions on the link you gave me

I don’t have a windows desktop to put the card in

Basically, the fans just spin up from starting the machine
Now and again they might spin down, but it could be for a few secs or a couple mins
The fans will only spin down though maybe 5% of the time
I did notice something interesting though, when I open the case it was just one fan that was spinning up
A couple of times I changed which pcie slot the card was in and this seemed to reciting the issue
But after doing that three times, changing the slot didnt make any difference

freddomseven

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2020

Hey Saudor, hope alls good
Im all set with openCore as been using it to set up MacBook with BigSur
Got it installed on Mac Pro too and been trying to install Big Sur, but been unable to see Boot picker for EFI and install
Maybe it’s still the same issue
So I’m go to do the flashing now when you’ve got time
Thanks

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
Hey Saudor, hope alls good
Im all set with openCore as been using it to set up MacBook with BigSur
Got it installed on Mac Pro too and been trying to install Big Sur, but been unable to see Boot picker for EFI and install
Maybe it’s still the same issue
So I’m go to do the flashing now when you’ve got time
Thanks
What steps have you done on the mac pro so far?

Also, you're not flashing anything with respect to the graphics card. That's too risky. For the fan issues, all we're doing is injecting some powerplay tables on the fly. There are no changes being made to the graphics card's firmware (aka the vbios)

Anyways since i dont have a mac pro, im going to need some more information (specifically your PCie location of your GPU). Can you download hackintool and give me the information plus a .zip of your opencore EFI (once you manage to get it booting macOS through it)

See attached. I need those 4 files that get created

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-08 at 10.51.06 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-12-08 at 10.51.06 AM.jpg
    397 KB · Views: 54

freddomseven

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2020
Hi Saodor

Ive done these steps so far

Choose your ESP

Your EFI System Partition (ESP) is the disk volume where you will install OpenCore.

➊ In Terminal, enter the following command:

diskutil list
➋ Look for a volume of type EFI and choose one. Note its identifier. It will be something like diskAs1.

Look at the names and sizes of the volumes to properly identify the disk where your ESP is located, because the identifier you just noted can change from one boot to the next.

A typical choice for your ESP is the EFI volume of the disk on which you plan to install the latest version of macOS. If your choice corresponds to the current boot disk, make sure that you have another disk with a natively bootable installation of macOS.

➌ Enter the following command, replacing "diskAs1" with the actual identifier of your ESP:

sudo diskutil mount /dev/diskAs1

Your ESP will appear as "EFI" in Finder.

The first attachment is from the Hackingtool

It wouldnt let me attach the EFI zip as was too big ??? (16.3MB)

But im not sure of Ive gone far enough in the process to be sending your the right EFI ?

Yes, I now realise im not flashing anything
That was my ignorance and realise opencore tweaks are the way to go

Thank you

Attachments

• Archive.zip
    10.9 KB · Views: 57

freddomseven

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2020
Hey Saudor, just realising I might not have gone fa enough with the Opencore installation for the EFI folder youre requesting
So working my way through it now as I slowly comprehend it

freddomseven

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2020
Hi Saodor

Ive installed the Opencore Patcher, which I now see comes in multiple flavours
I was reading through the Opencore installer that is hosted on this platform and it seems rather different and more cunstomizable then the version i have
I could be wrong about that though
After looking though a couple of posts I noticed that others were having the same issues as myself and have used the Opencore hosted on here to rectify the boot screen and now see the option for bootpicker
The version thats on here seems like it has a different way of installing it to the one I have
And thus, seems there are lots more options for twaeking stuff
Im hoping to do some more research on that tonight
I was however able to see on what disk my EFI is, so that was ineteresting

Yes, youre toatlly right about the flashing part
I wasnt sure of the right terminology and now realise that I was saying the wrong thing

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
Ok perfect. I found out the path to your GPU.
As for opencore, the one hosted here is probably the easiest to work with as I reckon the folks on that thread has already done most of the work to get it to run properly on the mac pro

Also, you can use hackintool to mount your EFI partition - it might be easier than messing around with terminal -especially if you have multiple disks

freddomseven

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2020
What steps have you done on the mac pro so far?

Also, you're not flashing anything with respect to the graphics card. That's too risky. For the fan issues, all we're doing is injecting some powerplay tables on the fly. There are no changes being made to the graphics card's firmware (aka the vbios)

Anyways since i dont have a mac pro, im going to need some more information (specifically your PCie location of your GPU). Can you download hackintool and give me the information plus a .zip of your opencore EFI (once you manage to get it booting macOS through it)

Ok perfect. I found out the path to your GPU.
As for opencore, the one hosted here is probably the easiest to work with as I reckon the folks on that thread has already done most of the work to get it to run properly on the mac pro

Also, you can use hackintool to mount your EFI partition - it might be easier than messing around with terminal -especially if you have multiple disks
Great thanks

As of install ive gotten up to the point of viewing config via text edit in my home folder

So I would imagine this is where you can start making changes to your system

The EFI is 17MB so i cant upload it ???

As of mounting EFI with hackingtool, I think ive done that oart via terminal if im not mistaken

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
As of install ive gotten up to the point of viewing config via text edit in my home folder

So I would imagine this is where you can start making changes to your system

The EFI is 17MB so i cant upload it ???

As of mounting EFI with hackingtool, I think ive done that oart via terminal if im not mistaken
if you prefer, you can upload it to onedrive/googledrive, etc and PM me the link.
Is this EFI bootable? as in it loads the OS

freddomseven

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2020
if you prefer, you can upload it to onedrive/googledrive, etc and PM me the link.
Is this EFI bootable? as in it loads the OS
Hey Bro, Ive got the gdrive link for you
But i dont think ive made enough posts to qualify for PM-ing people lol
I can start a conversation, but not sure if thats public ?

As of EFI being bootable, i think so yes
Im not 100% sure, but to get it to you, I followed the mounting process and its the edited version from following the steps for installing Opencore
Yes I believe its bootable, here is the version no. REL-076-2021-12-06
Hope this helps
Are you able to PM me ?
Thanks for all your help

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.