Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
I downloaded an app today on my iPhone which has been my primary device for many months now. I got a funny email from Apple:

Your Apple ID, <my email address>, was just used to download <name of app I downloaded> on a computer or device that has not previously been used. You may also be receiving this email if you reset your password since your last purchase.

I have not recently reset my password. Nor is this a new device.

Any idea why I got this?

eRondeau

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2004
Canada's South Coast
That's a legit courtesy notification. Apple just letting you know that a device using your Apple ID downloaded something for the first time. All good.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
It might be due to a change in the cable modem address. Happens with my Comcast modem.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
It might be due to a change in the cable modem address. Happens with my Comcast modem.
I really doubt they would care about the IP address that is being used since they have a unique ID for the device. It is not the first time that I have signed into iCloud on this device. I have downloaded apps in the past and didn't get this message. That's why I think there's something wrong going on at Apple's end. It's neither a new device nor was my password reset so their alert doesn't make any sense.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Is this your first download since upgrading to iOS 16? Could be a major system update might reset some counter that keeps track of that, hence your "first use"

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
I really doubt they would care about the IP address that is being used since they have a unique ID for the device.

I often get messages when logging on websites "We don't recognize this device. Would you like us to remember it?" or words to that effect. They associate, I assume the IP address, with my account and when it changes for security reasons they throw up the prompt. Sounds the same to me.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
I often get messages when logging on websites "We don't recognize this device. Would you like us to remember it?" or words to that effect. They associate, I assume the IP address, with my account and when it changes for security reasons they throw up the prompt. Sounds the same to me.
Most websites use a cookie, I think. That's why if you clear the cookies, they won't recognize the machine. Otherwise, they will even if it connects from a different location. But I would assume Apple would be more sophisticated since they have access to the attributes about the hardware.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Most websites use a cookie, I think. That's why if you clear the cookies, they won't recognize the machine. Otherwise, they will even if it connects from a different location. But I would assume Apple would be more sophisticated since they have access to the attributes about the hardware.

Good point. Don't know. Will see what happens when my IP address changes.

Am dubious about Apple using anything sophisticated with their App or other stores as they seem to put the minimal amount of work in those apps. Try to find an invoice from a physical store and support tells me I have to go to the store since they don't answer the telephone. Multiple places to search for purchases. Report a problem only seems to list purchases 6 months ago, App store purchases seems to have no search option although I see it now lists purchases for all dates. Compare this with Amazon where you have one order list and you can search every order you have ever placed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.