Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

precision01

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 16, 2014
Does anyone know a way to download iCloud Photos and keep the file creation date the same as the photo shooting date, and not the downloaded file date?

When I download photos or videos from iCloud website, or use any third app to do the same (like anytrans), the downloaded file EXIF data will not include essential information like date of photo/video taken. Exif data will be very minimal, without any info about date and place of picture taken.

The consequence is that you have a list of files showing date and time of the downloaded file, without any clue of the actual date or place it was taken.

The only workaround I know is to have an Mac with sufficient available disk space and configure Photos Mac App to store your original iCloud Photos library locally. This is a pain, because iCloud will sync your photos very slowly and when it wants. It can take days to sync 1tb no matter what internet connection speed you have.

If you are wondering why would people need to download and store its photos and videos outside iCloud, the answer is simple:

Even for people who loves to store media on iCloud, if you happen to shoot photos and record 4k videos frequently, you will quickly overcome the barrier of 2tb of content.

So iCloud Photos storage will become increasingly expensive and quickly insufficient.

So, local storage is your best option. You can manage your media where, when and how you want.

Also, it is your right to decide to download all your media and cancel your iCloud account.

And for people who likes to defend Apple’s practices, and are saying that there’s nothing logically wrong with Apple’s simplifying EXIF data, and putting today’s date on the downloaded file, I ask you:

Why does synced iCloud Photos library on Mac does include complete EXIF data and and the file date of creation is actually the same date as the photo was taken?

Why do Apple makes simple things so difficult? Date of photo creation is the most important info do organize photos and videos.

We know that Apple does this to discourage users to store its photos anywhere other than on its media storage servers.

But in the end what this Apple’s business strategy does is to deprive the media owner of essential information of its own content stored on Apples media servers.

precision01

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 16, 2014
it is clear that Apple is making things difficult to discourage us to store our media anywhere other than on its servers, being it locally or on another cloud services.

In my opinion, the only reason why Apple does not do that on media synced in Mac Photos App, is because it needs the correct information to handle, organized and do all the fancy stuff with your photos and videos.

In the end, for me, this situation sounds like this:

I pay for an iPhone; I shoot images with my iPhone; I pay for Apple to store my media on it's servers.

But if I want to have my images out of their servers, Apple says:

"Ok, you can download your media, but we are going to make it painful: The process will not be straightforward, the download speed will be painfully slow, and we are going to Mess with EXIF data on your files. So, don't you think it is better to keep your media with us? It's your choice.

*By the way, Apple treats every file type downloaded from iCloud in the same way, and not just media files.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.