Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

griffmeister

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2015
Hi,

If you have two iphone users (one iphone each) but share the same iTunes ID, whereby user 1 downloads a specific app but user 2 does not (download the specific app in question), is it self explanatory that user 1 will have the downloaded app on their phone only and NOT user 2?

This may assist with my question and may answer it but to give you a scenario:

I have a cloud icon next to an app i previously downloaded in the app store. The same app is on my partners app store (same iTunes ID) but has 'GET' next to it and not a cloud icon. Does this mean the app has never been downloaded on her phone or synced over?

Cheers in advance.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
In my experience, it should show the cloud icon if it's been downloaded in the past on either device (on the device itself). Did you merely download in the App Store on the computer but didn't sync it over?

Last edited:
Reactions: bcollett

griffmeister

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2015
In my experience, it should show the cloud icon if it's been downloaded in the past on either device (on the device itself). Did you merely download in the App Store on the computer but didn't sync it over?

The app was downloaded in the App store. No syncing was performed as far as I'm aware.

So to re-cap your answer, if there's an iCloud icon next to the app, it's never been downloaded on that particular phone before - even if you share iTunes ID where other phone has the app?

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
The app was downloaded in the App store. No syncing was performed as far as I'm aware.

So to re-cap your answer, if there's an iCloud icon next to the app, it's never been downloaded on that particular phone before - even if you share iTunes ID where other phone has the app?

All it means is someone downloaded it somewhere at some point, not necessarily that it has never been downloaded on a particular iPhone. If you downloaded it and deleted it, it'll show up as iCloud icon too.

griffmeister

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2015
All it means is someone downloaded it somewhere at some point, not necessarily that it has never been downloaded on a particular iPhone. If you downloaded it and deleted it, it'll show up as iCloud icon too.

Ah ok - well the cloud icon is on my phone but not my partner's phone and possibly used same itunes ID before.

It wouldn't be possible for her to download an app on her phone and magically appear on my phone as previously downloaded, yet show as NEVER downloaded on her phone, would it?

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Ah ok - well the cloud icon is on my phone but not my partner's phone and possibly used same itunes ID before.

It wouldn't be possible for her to download an app on her phone and magically appear on my phone as previously downloaded, yet show as NEVER downloaded on her phone, would it?

I'm not sure why that is, unless your partner is not currently signed in?

griffmeister

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2015
I'm not sure why that is, unless your partner is not currently signed in?

Not sure.

I was just saying that regardless if two people use same iTunes ID or not, if your device has the cloud icon next to an app, then it's been downloaded. If the same app on the other phone has 'Get' then it's not been downloaded?

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Not sure.

I was just saying that regardless if two people use same iTunes ID or not, if your device has the cloud icon next to an app, then it's been downloaded. If the same app on the other phone has 'Get' then it's not been downloaded?

No, both devices should show the iCloud icon if it's been downloaded on either, or downloaded at one point then deleted. Better check to see if your partner is currently signed in because if not, that could explain the 'Get' button.

griffmeister

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2015
No, both devices should show the iCloud icon if it's been downloaded on either, or downloaded at one point then deleted. Better check to see if your partner is currently signed in because if not, that could explain the 'Get' button.

Ok that makes sense - the app in question is on my phone on cloud but on her phone, that same app just says 'GET' - plus she is now signed in to her own iTunes ID. The intention wasn't to share iTunes account ID and I don't even know how long this happened for until I noticed it.

Checking my purchase history on iTunes, the app shows as downloaded on my account and on her seperate iTunes account (different login completely) says it hasn't been purchased. Which is what is meant to say.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.