Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Robert4

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 20, 2012
Hello,

Have a new iMac desktop,
Had to junk old one.
Irrespective of what I might be able to do when I start playing with Time Machine, would like to ask the following, please:

I use Comcast for internet.
It's set up as IMAP.

Being IMAP, my understanding is that All the old eMails are on a Comcast server, presumably forever.
Is this correct ?

If so, how do I go about downloading a year or so of old eMails from their Server so that I can
load them into Apple Mail on my new desktop, and have all of these older one accessible now ?

Off topic question: is it possible to make the scrolling Arrow bigger ? How ? I looked in Preferences but don't see any option for doing it,
although I am pretty sure there is.

Thanks for help,
Bob

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
IMAP = Stored on Server
POP = Deleted off server as soon as downloaded

On my Mac's Mail (iCloud server) I created saved boxes for 2 year or older emails so this way I keep a record of emails in server categories like Home, work etc!

hobowankenobi

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2015
on the land line mr. smith.
Yes....generally speaking when one sets up IMAP, the server will push everything to the mail client. One can organize as you see fit, including filtering/filing older content.

Keep in mind that if you don't set up a mail client to download all messages to your computer, then you have to trust that the server operator (Comcast) will keep all your email forever, and keep your access to it. If you don't trust they will keep everything forever...then the only other option would be to download.

Robert4

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 20, 2012
Hello,

Thanks for help with this; much appreciated.
Not too sharp with this "stuff" anymore, I have to admit.

My eMail on my new Mac seems to work well.
If someone sends me one, I get it.

Is there something else I should set up, or verify, per your:
"if you don't set up a mail client to download all messages to your computer,..."

Again, thanks for help,
Bob

hobowankenobi

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2015
on the land line mr. smith.
Nope. You should be all good.

I was just pointing out that if you log into Gmail with a web browser (not a mail client), the messages stay on the server. Some folks like this some don't. Pros and Cons.

Using a mail client is the safest bet, as you get your mail physically on your computer, and there is still a copy on the server too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.