Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
Original poster
May 16, 2015
Today I was downloading lots of random stuff as I was near my monthly billing period with quite some data left.
Man the thermal throttling is HARD. The iPhone becomes unbearable for touching after just 10 min or so 4G full speed download.
I have to put wet towels underneath it cause the iPhone then becomes extremely laggy for quite a while.
Folks with iPhone 12 and 13 (Pro/Pro Max), take your iPhone off of the case if you use it as personal hotspot to download stuff. It will throttle your iPhone FAST and you simply cannot use it for quite a while until the download stops.
If MacBook in the future has 5G built-in, wonder what would happen lol.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I wonder if you're far from a tower. Far from tower means the phone has to boost transmit power to be heard, so it will get hot.

At home I have a tower right near by and can push tons of data with the phone barely getting warm but sometimes when I'm out and about and signal strength is low it can get quite warm just with normal use.

Try putting the phone near a window; if you know where the tower is pick a window on that side, it might help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.