Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Junosbetterhalf

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2014
So a strange thing happened. I noticed the downloads icon had disappeared from my toolbar, thinking it was just a forgotten error I went to put it back and..

attachment.php

It's probably something real simple I'm missing, any thoughts?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-10-27 at 20.23.17.png
    Screen Shot 2014-10-27 at 20.23.17.png
    175.5 KB · Views: 19,994

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Just make sure that you change the setting “Remove download list items” (Settings → General) to anything other than “Upon successful download”. The button will persist for as long as there are previous entries in the download list. Once you clear it, the button disappears.

It doesn’t seem to be possible to keep it permanently though. Even when set to “Manually”, the list will be cleared once Safari quits (a bug maybe?).

Reactions: pastimage

Junosbetterhalf

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2014
Just make sure that you change the setting “Remove download list items” (Settings → General) to anything other than “Upon successful download”. The button will persist for as long as there are previous entries in the download list. Once you clear it, the button disappears.

It doesn’t seem to be possible to keep it permanently though. Even when set to “Manually”, the list will be cleared once Safari quits (a bug maybe?).

Appreciate the thoughts, and from others. I wasn't aware it vanished when the folder was empty, I've always had it set to 'manual' to keep track of previous downloads.

Has it always had this 'feature'? I hadn't noticed before it became a chore to get the address bar centred in this new version.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Appreciate the thoughts, and from others. I wasn't aware it vanished when the folder was empty, I've always had it set to 'manual' to keep track of previous downloads.

Has it always had this 'feature'? I hadn't noticed before it became a chore to get the address bar centred in this new version.

I think before Safari 8, you could add the downloads icon as a permanent toolbar icon. But you could also choose to remove it and let it show up only if needed, basically the current behaviour in Safari 8. I guess Apple thought it was time to remove it for whatever reason.

That the address bar is not always entered is really annoying me too. I hope that this is just a bug on their end. You can try to align it with flexible spaces on both sides.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-10-30 at 08.49.16.png
    Screen Shot 2014-10-30 at 08.49.16.png
    117.1 KB · Views: 1,447

pastimage

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2010
my place

This is the one thing that helped me quickly. The DL folder isnt empty but the list of DL's that go to the folder is set to clear regularly. I changed to manual and all is better now. Thanks!

Shiroma

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2017
I have the same problem but isn't popping up.

I had the same problem and, even after following some tips, the problem persisted.

FIXING this bug requires 4 basic steps.

I hope the tips below can help:

1) If it is an option in your View->"Customize Toolbar" buttons, drag it to your toolbar (otherwise it is kept there, in toolbar, by default - since item 2 is okay)
2) Make sure Safari->Preferences->General->"Remove download list items" is set as "Manually".
3) Downloading ANYTHING to keep something in 'download list'.
4) Make sure (at least in the 'very first time') you are NOT in "private window".

Even though I followed steps 1 through 3, my solution came after downloading a file in public window.

Afterwards, download button was visible again even to my private windows.

Good luck you there. I hope it helps you too.
:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.