Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Neodym

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 5, 2002
DISREGARD THIS POST! PROBLEM NOT SOLVED! ... if Apple presents a new mini this fall, chances are I'll switch. I'm so fed up with this recurring problem. >:-(

Original post:
I had posted in a few threads, warning people of the problem I had with connecting the mini via DP / Thunderbolt. After a while (varying in duration - or so I thought!) when going back to the mini (running 24/7) and switching on the monitor, the monitor wasn't detected anymore, even not when manually initiating monitor detection.

Well, the solution is so easy, it is a bit embarrassing for me: Don't let the monitor go to sleep! Settings -> Energy -> Monitor sleep -> Never. Simple as that.

macOS will warn you about shortening the monitor lifespan, but when you switch off the monitor manually (as I do), that is no problem at all.

So go ahead and enjoy the wonderful 21:9 3.5k monitors out there, connect them via Thunderbolt or DisplayPort and enjoy them to the fullest (it's an absolutely amazing experience). Running fine on a 2012 mini with HD4000 (@50Hz). Didn't test the 2011 mini with HD3000 yet (though chances are that it may work as well - any volunteers to try it out?).

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.