Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does this 4k@120hz tweak work for you?

• Yes

Votes: 170 84.6%
  • No

Votes: 18 9.0%
  • Can not get the right Adapter

Votes: 13 6.5%

• Total voters

Charlie Bun

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2020
Two hours trying to fix it and obviously I find the solution a few minutes after my post.
Leaving it just in case anybody encounters the same problem:
On the LG Settings: Picture>Aspect Ratio>Just Scan>On (was set to Auto, off results in the same cropped screen)
Yes, that's a typical overscan issue, glad to know it was fixed, I may get a LG C2 myself in the near future.

madfcat

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2024
LG G3 OLED
Macbook Pro M1 16"
CABLETIME Type C to HDMI 8K 60Hz Cable 4K 144Hz VMM7100 Chip HDR10+ HDCP 2.3 for Acer Dell Macbook Pro PS 5 C438 (bought from Aliexpress)

I have updated firmware. It worked with 120hz 10bit for one day. But now the sound is cutting out (dropping off) every 15 seconds. It does not happen with 60hz setting though.
Also, the cable gets really hot where it connects to the TV.

Any suggestions?

Reactions: MacBenQ

Moogerfoogers

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2024
New member here!! Hopeful now after finding this forum/thread. I’m desperate for some help. No replies on AVS or AMD forums… For the past 2 wks I’ve spent over $400 on USB-C HDMI 2.1 active adapters & docks from Club 3D & Cable Matters trying to get 4k 60hz RGB 4:4:4 10bit working on my 2018 MacBook Pro connected to my LG C3 OLED. I can easily output 4k60 RGB 444 10b to my regular computer monitors connected via cheap USB-C to DP adapters/cables. But I can’t for the life of me find an adapter that will deliver the same output connected to the LG C3. This is driving me insane. Looking for some help finding the right adapter with the correct chipset that can allow me to get 4k 60hz RGB 4:4.4 10bit from the MBP 2018 to the LG C3… I’ve put the LG in PC mode, enabled deep color and also 4:4:4 pass through. Also any USB4 or thunderbolt 4 adapter or dock I connect to the LG shows incoming 3L6, never 4L10… I’m sorry if this post is long, but for 2 wks I’ve asked this question in other forums w/zero replies & I’m sick of spending more money without some help. Appreciate anyone’s input/help.

PS/ it’s also important to note I am running Windows 11 natively on this MBP. No boot camp partition.

PPS/ the most promising adapters I’ve tried so far

Cable Matters - 201362-GRY-1.8m-E

ULT-WIIQ - B0B2933L7T

Club 3D - CAC-1088

Also just purchased a Cable Matters 201388-GRY from Amazon US arriving tomorrow. Hoping it’s the newer 201388-A when it arrives.

Last edited:

ThomBoh

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2009
U hace to go to C2 burn in settings and disable picture moving, also u have to enable HDMI input to PC or 4:4:4
Hi AironMan, do you have any advice for my situation? Firmware update seems to have bricked two adapters:

I bought the CableMatters adapter and seemed to have successfully flashed the firmware in the first post using the instructions in the .zip. It says at the end that it finished. But after that, the dongle seems completely bricked. Doesn't get recognized by the computer or TV, and when I try and open the FW flashing tool again, it doesn't recognize it.

Got another one and tried again, got the same result: bricked.

The adapter p/n is 201388-A. Is this the wrong one? Is there any way to unbrick these two bricked adapters now?

Reactions: Moogerfoogers

Moogerfoogers

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2024
Hi AironMan, do you have any advice for my situation? Firmware update seems to have bricked two adapters:

I bought the CableMatters adapter and seemed to have successfully flashed the firmware in the first post using the instructions in the .zip. It says at the end that it finished. But after that, the dongle seems completely bricked. Doesn't get recognized by the computer or TV, and when I try and open the FW flashing tool again, it doesn't recognize it.

Got another one and tried again, got the same result: bricked.

The adapter p/n is 201388-A. Is this the wrong one? Is there any way to unbrick these two bricked adapters now?
How certain are you that you’re flashing the correct firmware? I just received my 201388-a. Flashed the firmware with the one mentioned on the first page of this thread in Step #3 link #2 for the 7100 chip (https://forums.macrumors.com/attachments/cm-firmware-4k-120hz-rgb-vmm7100-zip.2189075/)… Unfortunately I’m still unable to get 4k 60hz RGB 4:4:4 10bit. I don’t care about 120hz. All I want is at least 60hz in 4k full RGB 44410bit. This is all still driving me crazy. I have 2 other computer monitors that do 10bit 4k60hz full RGB. Really wish I could get some help here… Is there something I need to do to edit the EDID as to why when I select 10bit it reverts back to 8bit after a second or 2? The LG tv shows 3L6 when the 201388-a is connected to it via certified 2.1 HDMI cable from Cable Matters. Should I be seeing 4L10? The ports I’m using on my MacBook Pro 2018 are Thunderbolt 3.

austinmrs

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2023
This is only needed if the monitor has only hdmi 2.1, right?

If I connected a USB-C to displayport cable to the monitor, I should get 4K@120hz without needing this, correct?

Charlie Bun

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2020
You likely don't need to do anything with the firmware on it at all, it just straight up works w/ EDID override. And if you do need to do any firmware flashing you can get the official version from Dell. There's no hack involved at the firmware level, just software EDID override. That's why I think it's one of the better solutions and more out of the box than the ones requiring unofficial firmware updates.
Just to update, I got an awesome MiniLED Qled TV and due to a promotion from my bank I got a bonification, so I basically got the dock for 20 bucks, I will get it next week as it has to be imported, I’ll report my results when I get it

tippyvtop

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2023
LG G3 OLED
Macbook Pro M1 16"
CABLETIME Type C to HDMI 8K 60Hz Cable 4K 144Hz VMM7100 Chip HDR10+ HDCP 2.3 for Acer Dell Macbook Pro PS 5 C438 (bought from Aliexpress)

I have updated firmware. It worked with 120hz 10bit for one day. But now the sound is cutting out (dropping off) every 15 seconds. It does not happen with 60hz setting though.
Also, the cable gets really hot where it connects to the TV.

Any suggestions?
I suspect it might be a bandwidth limitation causing it to cut out. I reduced my refresh rate to 100Hz and there was no more audio stutter. Only an occasional visual stutter every two minutes.

Happy to be corrected, would love a fix around this also.

Charlie Bun

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2020
New member here!! Hopeful now after finding this forum/thread. I’m desperate for some help. No replies on AVS or AMD forums… For the past 2 wks I’ve spent over $400 on USB-C HDMI 2.1 active adapters & docks from Club 3D & Cable Matters trying to get 4k 60hz RGB 4:4:4 10bit working on my 2018 MacBook Pro connected to my LG C3 OLED. I can easily output 4k60 RGB 444 10b to my regular computer monitors connected via cheap USB-C to DP adapters/cables. But I can’t for the life of me find an adapter that will deliver the same output connected to the LG C3. This is driving me insane. Looking for some help finding the right adapter with the correct chipset that can allow me to get 4k 60hz RGB 4:4.4 10bit from the MBP 2018 to the LG C3… I’ve put the LG in PC mode, enabled deep color and also 4:4:4 pass through. Also any USB4 or thunderbolt 4 adapter or dock I connect to the LG shows incoming 3L6, never 4L10… I’m sorry if this post is long, but for 2 wks I’ve asked this question in other forums w/zero replies & I’m sick of spending more money without some help. Appreciate anyone’s input/help.

PS/ it’s also important to note I am running Windows 11 natively on this MBP. No boot camp partition.

PPS/ the most promising adapters I’ve tried so far

Cable Matters - 201362-GRY-1.8m-E

ULT-WIIQ - B0B2933L7T

Club 3D - CAC-1088

Also just purchased a Cable Matters 201388-GRY from Amazon US arriving tomorrow. Hoping it’s the newer 201388-A when it arrives.
This solution's for Apple Silicon macs, yours is an Intel one, yours it's an actual hardware limitation instead of an artificial limitation like in Apple Silicon

saintofhope

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2024
Hi everyone! does anyone have a backup of the ugreen vmm7100 cable firmware? I flashed mine without making a backup and now it does not show anything on screen beyond 4k30hz

djrobx

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2007
So I started using this 67w adapter with a 100w capable C-to-C cable on Saturday and when I woke my machine today I got the gray screen issue 🫤. No different than the Apple 30w adapter, issue would happen about every other or every third day with that one as well.

In my experience, the gray screen is a secondary issue to the main VMM7100 wake problem.

When the VMM7100 really crashes, you'll get "No signal". If the VMM7100 initialized the display at a certain time while my C2s were powering up, I get a gray screen. If you have a script that turns them on, you might try adding a small delay before sending power on.

clutchm3

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2011
In my experience, the gray screen is a secondary issue to the main VMM7100 wake problem.

When the VMM7100 really crashes, you'll get "No signal". If the VMM7100 initialized the display at a certain time while my C2s were powering up, I get a gray screen. If you have a script that turns them on, you might try adding a small delay before sending power on.
Why does this gray screen happen? I get it sometimes and I just have to unplug and replug. Anyway to fix?

Charlie Bun

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2020
Just to update, I got an awesome MiniLED Qled TV and due to a promotion from my bank I got a bonification, so I basically got the dock for 20 bucks, I will get it next week as it has to be imported, I’ll report my results when I get it
Happy update!, I can confirm that indeed, the Dell HD22Q dock works wonderfully, not only did I was able to get 120Hz out to my TCL TV, both SDR and HDR, but also the image quality is waaaay better than with the USB C to HDMI 2.0 4K 60 Hz cable I used before.

The new dock is amazing, as I was able to go from three cables (USB C to USB A hub, USB C to HDMI 2.0 and Magsafe) to just one, plus, it works wonderfully to charge my iPhone 15 Pro Max, both in portrait and landscape orientations.

Setting it up was extremely easy too, as previously mentioned, there's no need to update anything in the dock, I just plugged the dock, bought the BetterDisplay Pro license and did the EDID edit, and presto, it worked immediately, plus, because we don't need a hacky firmware for it, it also works with my ROG Ally.

For the HDMI 2.1 certified cable, I bought the Sniokco HDMI 2.1 48Gbps 1 meter cable, despite the generic brand name, it is indeed certified and works without any issue.
1716935037503.png
1716935057055.png
1716935072261.png
1716935087036.png
1716935097978.png

bielcouto

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2022
I have a
  • MBP M1 Max 16''
  • LG C1 55
  • Dell Dock WD22TB4
  • Club 3D active DP1.4 -> HDMI cable (CAC-1085)
Just followed the instructions to override EDID to v4 and DisplayPort interface.

Worked like a charm.

Got 4k @120hz with HDR enabled.

It's been so many years that I wanted to do this! THANK YOU SO MUCH.

Last edited:

saintofhope

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2024
Do you guys know if the cable doesn't work properly on Windows, will it work on a Mac too? For example, I have the UGreen 15850 8k 60hz cable with the VMM7100 chip. On a Windows laptop, it displays a maximum of 4k 60hz 10-bit. After the firmware update, it only reaches 4k 30hz, and no other firmware can bring it back. The interesting thing is that the NVIDIA Control Panel doesn't reject the 4k 120hz resolution. It successfully applies it, and the laptop recognizes it as a monitor. I can even drag windows to it, but it's just a black screen. I have an LG C2 TV, and I've tried all the HDMI inputs and different settings, but nothing seems to work. If someone knows something about it, could you please share? Thanks.
where you able to unbrick your cable?

clutchm3

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2011
I have a
  • MBP M1 Max 16''
  • LG C1 55
  • Dell Dock WD22TB4
Just followed the instructions to override EDID to v4 and DisplayPort interface.

Worked like a charm.

With this dock does your fan speed up a lot during connection? Also is the ethernet port on it able to handle 2 gig internet? Thanks!

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
I have a
  • MBP M1 Max 16''
  • LG C1 55
  • Dell Dock WD22TB4

Worked like a charm.

Where are those instructions?

MacBenQ

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2024
Happy update!, I can confirm that indeed, the Dell HD22Q dock works wonderfully, not only did I was able to get 120Hz out to my TCL TV, both SDR and HDR, but also the image quality is waaaay better than with the USB C to HDMI 2.0 4K 60 Hz cable I used before.

The new dock is amazing, as I was able to go from three cables (USB C to USB A hub, USB C to HDMI 2.0 and Magsafe) to just one, plus, it works wonderfully to charge my iPhone 15 Pro Max, both in portrait and landscape orientations.

Setting it up was extremely easy too, as previously mentioned, there's no need to update anything in the dock, I just plugged the dock, bought the BetterDisplay Pro license and did the EDID edit, and presto, it worked immediately, plus, because we don't need a hacky firmware for it, it also works with my ROG Ally.

For the HDMI 2.1 certified cable, I bought the Sniokco HDMI 2.1 48Gbps 1 meter cable, despite the generic brand name, it is indeed certified and works without any issue. View attachment 2383125 View attachment 2383126 View attachment 2383127 View attachment 2383128 View attachment 2383129
Qi Wireless Charging; Not is

MagSafe Charger

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.