Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
Updated to DP4 from DP3.x. Finder window automatically opens without user input about every 30 seconds, taking you out of your current app/work. Console reports:

6/12/12 1:04:57.526 PM lsboxd[257]: @AE relay 4755524c:4755524c

Reported bug to Apple and created ADC thread, also want to throw this out there if anyother registered developers such as myself are experiencing same error. Some early research shows may be related to new Sandboxing protocols with Adobe A.E.

Last edited by a moderator:

DavidEther

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2010
Having this problem as well

Thank you for submitting a report; Bug Reporter kept giving me an error every time I tried logging in. Saw this message in Console as well, but didn't know what it could mean. I wonder if there's a process you can kill to keep this from happening for now. I'm going to keep tabs on this and hopefully a solution will come up. It's really annoying haha.

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
Thank you for submitting a report; Bug Reporter kept giving me an error every time I tried logging in. Saw this message in Console as well, but didn't know what it could mean. I wonder if there's a process you can kill to keep this from happening for now. I'm going to keep tabs on this and hopefully a solution will come up. It's really annoying haha.

the "lsboxd[257]:" def relates to Sandboxing, speaking w/ friend at Cupertino now. Trying to find the app that OS X keeps denying access. AE would suggest Adobe After Effects but I don't have that part of CS6 installed. Looking in my ~/Library/Containers/ folder for any non-Apple apps. Driving me nuts.

Update: resolved my app issue. "MenuTab Pro" was calling access to contacts and other OS X resources that was previously allowed in DP3.x, new DP4 Sandboxing implementation was denying it. Shut it down.

Sandboxing is going to piss a lot of third party developers off. This is going to be a major fiasco, especially as I had to uninstall all my third party FCP/X plugin's like FxFactory and TrapCode.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-06-12 at 1.34.20 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2012-06-12 at 1.34.20 PM.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 2,256
  • Screen Shot 2012-06-12 at 1.35.18 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2012-06-12 at 1.35.18 PM.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 151
Last edited by a moderator:

DavidEther

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2010
Gah; I also have MenuTab Pro. Shut it down and haven't seen another popup. Thanks for resolving this! Mountain Lion cutting off more and more resources definitely won't be a good thing. Luckily we still have the option of running unsigned apps from outside the App Store, but the odds of useful apps being easily discovered in the store will just shrink over this. To say the least.

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
Gah; I also have MenuTab Pro. Shut it down and haven't seen another popup. Thanks for resolving this! Mountain Lion cutting off more and more resources definitely won't be a good thing. Luckily we still have the option of running unsigned apps from outside the App Store, but the odds of useful apps being easily discovered in the store will just shrink over this. To say the least.

The lack of desktop focus in general and from this week's WWDC has a lot of high end consumer and professionals worried and ticked along with "sandboxing" protocols. The "post-PC era" mentality from Apple is worrisome, many do still use workstations for heavy lifting in the film and design industry and consumers want an upgradeable tower. Form may change, but desktops will never go away. Mac Pro 2-year+ neglect, Cook statements re: update next year when they're still selling the same 2-year old system with 2009 parts resulting in slow sales then claiming it's because no one needs a desktop? I'm losing faith, and I've been am Apple user for well over a decade. Mobile devices, great, love em, don't kill my desktops.

DavidEther

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2010
Unfortunately I think Apple's been making it pretty clear that they're catering more to the average user over the power users / "prosumers" for awhile now. They could always refocus and turn their attention back to serious computing (redesigned Mac Pros rumored for next year *crossing fingers*), but I wouldn't be surprised if that didn't happen.

I'm not going back to Windows, though. That's for damn sure.

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
Unfortunately I think Apple's been making it pretty clear that they're catering more to the average user over the power users / "prosumers" for awhile now. They could always refocus and turn their attention back to serious computing (redesigned Mac Pros rumored for next year *crossing fingers*), but I wouldn't be surprised if that didn't happen.

I'm not going back to Windows, though. That's for damn sure.

Unfortunately. I wish I could state otherwise. Maybe some grace of god we'll see a Mac Pro revision next year that may indicate otherwise. Then again... :eek:

Thank you so much! This was driving me insane!

Glad we could help :)

GIZBUG

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2006
Chicago, IL
thanks for the tip! this issue was driving me crazy. i deleted menutab. i never had the issue with finder poppig up though. Macintosh HD always pops up for me. after deleting menutab, still getting the popup windows for Macintosh HD. Not sure why =(

Last edited:

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
thanks for the tip! this issue was driving me crazy. i deleted menutab. i never had the issue with finder poppig up though. Macintosh HD always pops up for me. after deleting menutab, still getting the popup windows for Macintosh HD. Not sure why =(

I responded to your same issue in another thread and hope my tips might help. Check out my reply. Good luck!

warrencoakley

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2012
I responded to your same issue in another thread and hope my tips might help. Check out my reply. Good luck!

Hi i am having the same issue where i do not have the MenuTab Pro installed and i am still getting the pop up which is driving me mental,did you find out a how to resolve this or other things i may have installed that could be causing this to happen? Your help is much appreciated. Thanks

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
What is a DP4? The discussion is hard to follow for someone who doesn't know that!

DP4 is Developer Preview #4, and given the date of the thread, I'd say the issue may be moot since ML is now out.

Anic297

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2010
Switzerland
AE would suggest Adobe After Effects but I don't have that part of CS6 installed.
I thought about AppleEvent myself. Could it be that? (AppleEvents may be prevented by sandbox)

----------

DP4 is Developer Preview #4, and given the date of the thread, I'd say the issue may be moot since ML is now out.

Thanks for your reply. Well, I'm a hobbyist programmer, but never used Apple's softwares for my apps.

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
What is a DP4? The discussion is hard to follow for someone who doesn't know that!

Yup, thanks maflynn. DP refers to "Developer Preview", as an ADC member, during OS X releases we are given "Developer Previews" (i.e. "beta's") for testing our OS X applications and/or bug reporting to Apple engineers.

Before 10.7 "Lion", OS X beta's were released to us on a weekly or bi-weekly schedule (there was never any rhyme or reason, they came as the engineers developed). With each beta we had to burn them to a DVD and install a fresh copy of OS X. I suppose this was to ensure everyone had a fresh install and allowed "all things to be equal" between developers for reporting bugs and testing app's.

When OS X 10.7 "Lion" was released, Apple Developer Community membership dropped from hundreds of dollars for entry level to a flat annual $99 membership, exactly as iOS membership. It used to cost hundreds of dollars to be an OS X developer, however this came with perks such as discounts on hardware, WWDC tickets, etc. I believe Apple wanted to bring OS X into the same ball park as iOS; entice more consumers to develop with a lower price tag, perhaps even those not interested in developing but merely wanting the newest OS, which even if they never reported bugs, error logs were sent to Apple during use. So it was a "win/win" for everyone; Apple released less beta's as it seems 4 "Developer Previews" are the "standard" now for OS X (with small updates released via the App Store between DP's), the lower price tag enticed more people to join thus creating more OS X developers which lead to more cash in the OS X App Store as well as more bug reporting, and more money for Apple in the end.

So that is it in a nutshell :)

I thought about AppleEvent myself. Could it be that? (AppleEvents may be prevented by sandbox).

Hmmm, no idea. During the 10.8 Developer Preview releases, many major changes occurred between the 3rd and 4th release. Most notably was sudden/more "Sandbox" integration. As a means of keeping third party applications out of native OS X apps and processes (as a developer you probably know this know so my apologies for repeating it :). Apple seems to be focusing on more security in OS X, and "sandboxing" applications allows the user to have more control over what applications have access to what personal data/app's. During development, a few third party applications such as "MenuTab Pro" for Facebook suddenly caused Finder issues, etc as it attempted to access area's in OS X it no longer could. It became a guessing game involving "Console" and error logs to figure out what app's were throwing a wrench into the machine. Apple had mentioned "sandboxing" to us, but I suppose it wasn't in enough detail as it caught many of us off-guard around DP4.

Now that the public release is out, many third party developers have already addressed this issue with updates.

Wow, sorry for the long response. Hope it helps a little :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.