Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macease

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2021
Hey Everyone. I have an iphone 14 pro max, and when I take photos and upload them to my computer, the dpi is only 72. I have the settings at Apple Pro Raw 48 MP. Is there a way to have a higher dpi?

RRC

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2020
What program are you using to open them/ edit them?

How are you exporting them to your computer? (method)

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
dpi is related to the size of the picture. A 8”x10” photograph at 300 dpi has the exact same number of “dots” as a 33”x41” photograph at 72 dpi. The 8x10 will look better at the same viewing distance because the dots are crammed in closer to each other.
So “72 dpi” doesn’t really reveal anything, you need to know also the size at 72dpi.

Reactions: Tdude96 and arw

macease

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2021
What program are you using to open them/ edit them?

How are you exporting them to your computer? (method)
Am using Photoshop to open and edit them. And exporting them from the iphone to my macbook air BigSur 11.4 via airdrop.

macease

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2021
dpi is related to the size of the picture. A 8”x10” photograph at 300 dpi has the exact same number of “dots” as a 33”x41” photograph at 72 dpi. The 8x10 will look better at the same viewing distance because the dots are crammed in closer to each other.
So “72 dpi” doesn’t really reveal anything, you need to know also the size at 72dpi.
Thanks for this.

Fuzzing

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2023
Macease, did you find out what's going on?
I don't think the people above know what they are talking about. I see the same problem.
If I take a pic with my Nikon, I get 300dpi and when you zoom in on the pic, the details are fabulous.
When I take a pic with my iPhone 14 pro max I get 72dpi no mater what setting it is on. Huge difference.
You and I have the same concern. Printing high quality images. I think it has something to do with image sensor size in the equipment. The Nikon has a larger sensor than the iPhone.

I love my iPhone because it is so versatile especially in low light conditions. I have taken night pics of moving objects, like a trolley, that would have required a tripod and trigger to capture on my Nikon..OR.. increase the ISO to the point that I would end up with a grainy pic. So now I find myself going on trips taking pics with both.

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
DPI has nothing to do with image file quality. You can have 72 and 300 DPI versions of the same 48 megapixel image and their file sizes on disk and image quality on the same screen will be the same when you're looking at individual pixels.

You can change the DPI setting of an image without affecting its recorded details, so if you for instance change that 300 DPI photo from the Nikon to 72 DPI it will still retain all the "fabulous detail" it had at 300 DPI. Likewise if you change the 72 DPI iPhone photo to 300 DPI it's not going to gain additional detail - not even if the Camera app saved the original image at 300 DPI to begin with.

The detail difference you see between photos from an iPhone and a good camera comes from better and larger lens and sensor on the camera.

DPI mostly matters when you want to print your photos, and even then DPI is likely the last thing a hobbyist deals with. This is because your photo has already been taken at a specific megapixel count (for example 12 or 48) and you'll likely want to print it at a specific size. The DPI of a printed photo is then the result of those two factors, rather than something you set.

For example, a 48 megapixel 3:2 aspect ratio photo has 8485 x 5657 pixels.

Printing that photo at 300 DPI results in an approximately 72 x 48 centimeter print. That might be too large for your photo album, so if instead you print it at a more reasonable 15 x 10 centimeters the DPI value shoots up to approximately 1430.

Reactions: Tdude96 and arw

Fuzzing

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2023
I think you’re getting too wrapped up in the DPI thing. I know printers and software like photoshop have algorithms to increase DPI.

But if you start off with a higher DPI then the algorithm doesn’t have to fill in as much. That’s why everyone talks about larger sensors on cameras = more data.

That’s why they had “large format” cameras back in the day. More image resolution. A 4X6 format camera has better image quality than traditional 35mm. The same can be said about larger image sensors today.

It sounds like you’re saying 72dpi = 300dpi at the time the photo was taken. Then it’s pointless to spend an extra $3K on a camera with a full inch sensor. I’d like to see you take that argument to camera forum.

I’m not saying what you said is wrong but that’s all post production image processing.

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
It sounds like you’re saying 72dpi = 300dpi at the time the photo was taken. Then it’s pointless to spend an extra $3K on a camera with a full inch sensor. I’d like to see you take that argument to camera forum.
I'm saying if you take for example an 8485 x 5657 pixel digital photograph, it doesn't matter whether it's saved with a 72 or 300 DPI setting. This, as far as I can tell, was the original poster's concern and it's simply a non-issue.

You might be talking about something else.

Reactions: arw and Tdude96

Tdude96

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2021
macease, since you're working with Photoshop, this is super easy once you know how. You can make the update from 72 to 300 dpi easily and non-destructively.

In the menus go into Image and then Image Size.

On a 48MP image from an iPhone, your pixel dimensions should be 8064 x 6048. UNCHECK Resample. (I cannot emphasize that enough)
Then change 72 to 300. Hit OK and save.

72.png
300.png

You can note from these screenshots that your pixel dimensions remain the same, which means your image itself remains completely untouched (this is non-destructive as long as you've unchecked Resample), only the dpi has changed, which results in the width going from 112" to 26.88" and the Height going from 84" to 20.16"

now i see it and Puonti provided accurate descriptions of what the change from 72 to 300 dpi will do.

Pretty much the only time you'll want to have Resample checked is if you are targeting specific output dimensions and dpi. There are some caveats to that which I won't get into here.

Reactions: Puonti

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
You can make the update from 72 to 300 dpi easily and non-destructively.

In the menus go into Image and then Image Size.

On a 48MP image from an iPhone, your pixel dimensions should be 8064 x 6048. UNCHECK Resample. (I cannot emphasize that enough)
Then change 72 to 300. Hit OK and save.

This is correct, but I want to note one caveat here: although the DPI change itself is non-destructive, if you save the updated image in a lossy format like .JPG it's going to be compressed which will result in some loss of detail compared to the original.

This is worth mentioning just in case, so that anyone reading these instructions doesn't decide to go through their photo library (unnecessarily) changing their original JPEGs from 72 to 300 DPI with Photoshop and in the process degrading image quality.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tdude96

frankbiganski

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2024
Hiya. It's been a few years since I had an iPhone, but I'm once again very happy to have upgraded from a temporary Android to an iPhone 14 Pro Max.

I'm a property photographer and came across this post and wanted to answer the OP's original question.

The "RAW" setting provides DNG photos (which is Apples version of RAW, which is the same that my Nikon D810 produces.

But in order to get that DNG output, you have to uncheck "Optimise iPhone Storage" and select "Download and Keep Originals" under Settings.

It also seem that RAW is always automatically turned off when you click on Camera, and you have to tap the RAW/Icon icon to engage RAW.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.