Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With the recent release of the movie Straight Outta Compton detailing Dr. Dre's hip-hop group N.W.A, unsavory moments from Dre's past were unearthed as critics questioned why the movie didn't cover his abuse towards women. During the 1990s, Dr. Dre was accused of assaulting several women, including his girlfriend at the time Michel'le and television host Dee Barnes.

In response to the allegations, Dr. Dre has given a statement to The New York Times apologizing for his actions and saying he deeply regrets what he did in his youth.

drdre.jpg
"Twenty-five years ago I was a young man drinking too much and in over my head with no real structure in my life. However, none of this is an excuse for what I did. I've been married for 19 years and every day I'm working to be a better man for my family, seeking guidance along the way. I'm doing everything I can so I never resemble that man again."

He added: "I apologize to the women I've hurt. I deeply regret what I did and know that it has forever impacted all of our lives."
Dr. Dre has been employed at Apple for the past year, following the company's acquisition of Beats Electronics and Beats Music, created by both Dre and Jimmy Iovine. Apple also gave a statement to The New York Times, supporting Dr. Dre.
"Dre has apologized for the mistakes he's made in the past and he's said that he's not the same person that he was 25 years ago. We believe his sincerity and after working with him for a year and a half, we have every reason to believe that he has changed."
At Apple, Dr. Dre is working on Apple Music alongside Jimmy Iovine. Though he has no specific title, Dre has been involved with Beats 1 radio, hosting his own weekly show called "The Pharmacy" and has released two albums exclusively on Apple Music, including "Compton: A Soundtrack," the official soundtrack of the Straight Outta Compton movie, and "The Chronic," originally released in 1992.

Note: Due to the controversial nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Dr. Dre Addresses Abuse Accusations With Apology, Apple Releases Supporting Statement

Saucesome2000

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2014
Nashville, TN
Abuse towards anyone is deplorable, but the bad thing about this is My Ruin front woman Tairrie B. is the one I heard who brought this back up, coincidentally at the same time she's starting to push her new memoir, her return to rap music, and after the release of Straight Outta Compton. Not that it shouldn't be addressed, but this seems like she's using it solely for her own publicity, which is spitting on the real issue. She also declined to press charges when the incident happened because she was more concerned with getting her album released. These are her own words.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
This is such a sad world we live in. This man did this 25, yes, 25 years ago and people can't forgive him? Smh. He was in his mid 20s. I'm sure we all aren't proud of the foolish and dumb mistakes we made in our 20s.

Dargoth

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2014
None of the things I'm not proud of approach attempted murder. But you go right ahead and support this idiot.
So you're an ubermensch is what you're saying, right? So, because what he's done wrong is worse than what you've done wrong, he's a bastard. Is that it? If anyone has gone down a road as dark as this guy has, I think it's admirable that he's managed to come out of it and become the man he is today. I don't get the hostility.

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
Charleston, SC and Everett, WA
"Twenty-five years ago I was a young man drinking too much and in over my head with no real structure in my life. However, none of this is an excuse for what I did. I've been married for 19 years and every day I'm working to be a better man for my family, seeking guidance along the way. I'm doing everything I can so I never resemble that man again."

He added: "I apologize to the women I've hurt. I deeply regret what I did and know that it has forever impacted all of our lives."

That's a real apology. No excuses, admits fault, and shows that he's trying to be a better man.

I admire that he realizes that he made a mistake, and respect him for working to be a better man.

I don't know what he's done in the last 25 years, but I hope that it shows him progressively becoming better.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
It's hardly like he was going to admit to enjoying his abusive behavior and defend it as a necessary display of power or something insane like that. Regardless of sincerity, it seems like a good PR move; people who deplore him will continue to do so while people who were ambivalent might respect him.

Dargoth

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2014
Receiving forgiveness in America is easy as long as you are rich and blessed by a socially liberal megacorporation.

Josh Duggar also gave a very contrite apology. How's that working out for him?
Or maybe the real issue is that people like you tend to judge people harshly when they reach a certain level of success? This guy is human, think of him as a human and suddenly you'll realize my point. In fact, I challenge you to do so.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
This is such a sad world we live in. This man did this 25, yes, 25 years ago and people can't forgive him? Smh. He was in his mid 20s. I'm sure we all aren't proud of the foolish and dumb mistakes we made in our 20s.
I think everyone is entitled to their opinion and whether or not they can or would forgive someone. I'm guessing not many people here were actually affected by this man.

That being said - there's no statute of limitations on forgiveness. Just because time has passed doesn't erase what someone has done. But it's a slippery slope. Look at Bill Cosby. He did a great amount of good. While at the same time, he was a very different person in private. Many people are conflicted, and for good reason on whether or not the good can or should outweigh transgressions. It's a personal choice.

Mums

Suspended
Oct 4, 2011
That's a real apology. No excuses, admits fault, and shows that he's trying to be a better man.

I admire that he realizes that he made a mistake, and respect him for working to be a better man.

I don't know what he's done in the last 25 years, but I hope that it shows him progressively becoming better.

You would give a real apology for a billion dollars as well. But the apology reads like a lawyer wrote it.

odditie

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
As with any situation similar to this, I hope the public facing comments are true to how he feels and acts.

Reactions: 5105973
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.