Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brandy-Boi

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 11, 2020
I set up a draft to post to iPhones last night, but no matter where I look or what I click on I can't find it anywhere. Apparently its supposed to be saved and ready to go the next time you go to post in that thread but nothing happened. Any idea why my drafts aren't being saved? I can easily restart the thread since its wasn't that big but for future reference i'd appreciate some help/clarity

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
I've never really used drafts, but I just tested it. Definitely not a very intuitive feature as far as I can tell. It doesn't appear that there's anywhere in your account where you can see the saved drafts. But it appears they won't auto-fill unless you post in the exact same sub-forum where you "saved" the draft, so are you sure you're in the exact sub-forum that you originally composed the thread for. Is it possible you accidentally composed it in the wrong sub-forum, and that would be why it's not auto-filling for you now in the correct sub-forum when you click "Post Thread"? Maybe try posting a thread in one of the sub-forums adjacent in the hierarchy to the one you want and see if your draft comes up.

Reactions: NoBoMac

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
I believe the drafts feature also auto saves. I've created a draft and without saving, closed Safari, came back a while later to the same thread and my draft was still there. I always use Delete Draft though when I've changed my mind about posting.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
And, of course, if started composing in an existing thread, the draft will be there.

Did you start the post on on device and then switched to a different device to finish up? Might be an issue with cross-device posting, and the draft might be on the other device.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
And, of course, if started composing in an existing thread, the draft will be there.

Did you start the post on on device and then switched to a different device to finish up? Might be an issue with cross-device posting, and the draft might be on the other device.

So you're not sure whether these drafts are being saved server-side or in the device's local storage? I would think it would be server-side, but I could be wrong of course.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
I don't have access to the back end, so not sure. Believe it's server-side. But it's something to look at and eliminate as possible cause.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I set up a draft to post to iPhones last night, but no matter where I look or what I click on I can't find it anywhere. Apparently its supposed to be saved and ready to go the next time you go to post in that thread but nothing happened. Any idea why my drafts aren't being saved? I can easily restart the thread since its wasn't that big but for future reference i'd appreciate some help/clarity

If you were in the iPhone forum and trying to post a new thread, it should be saved server side. Just go back to the same forum section and click "Post Thread" at the top right and you should see your draft.

Reactions: sman789

sman789

Customer Support
Staff member
Dec 25, 2007
Richmond, VA

If you were in the iPhone forum and trying to post a new thread, it should be saved server side. Just go back to the same forum section and click "Post Thread" at the top right and you should see your draft.
It worked for me. I typed in a draft message on my Mac and let it autosave after a few seconds, then closed the page. I went to the same thread on my phone and it popped up automatically.

Brandy-Boi

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 11, 2020

I started with going to iPhone General on my iMac, Brave Browser. That's the only place I did it from. I tested it three more times and nothing was saved, I even manually clicked "save draft" and nothing changed. Maybe its a little hiccup with Brave Browser?

sman789

Customer Support
Staff member
Dec 25, 2007
Richmond, VA
Testing with the brave browser.

Alright, I installed Brave (on Mac) and with the default settings and no extensions, the draft was saved and I'm able to see it on my Samsung phone.

Do you have content blocking add ons on either your computer or mobile browser?

Reactions: Weaselboy

Brandy-Boi

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 11, 2020
Testing with the brave browser.

Alright, I installed Brave (on Mac) and with the default settings and no extensions, the draft was saved and I'm able to see it on my Samsung phone.

Do you have content blocking add ons on either your computer or mobile browser?
I don't have any extra extensions on Brave, I just have the default "shields up" and turned them off to to a test. It actually saved the draft!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.