Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

laz232

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2016
At a café near you
I cannot drag and drop files to _one_ of the folders in my Sidebar in Finder -
have rebooted, checked permissions, re-added the folder to the sidebar: no change
Drag and drop to other sidebar folders works
Drag and drop to the problem folder works when it is not in the sidebar
Console error log: "Drag to alias/symlink <private>, which targets <private>, is disallowed by system policy"

Any ideas?

Latest macOS

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Console error log: "Drag to alias/symlink <private>, which targets <private>, is disallowed by system policy"

The folder you put in the sidebar is actually an alias to another folder. Select the folder, in question, from the sidebar. Right-click on the folder and select Show in Enclosing Folder. In the Finder window, select the alias, right-click and select Show Original. Drag the found folder to the sidebar.

Reactions: LuisN

laz232

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2016
At a café near you
The folder you put in the sidebar is actually an alias to another folder. Select the folder, in question, from the sidebar. Right-click on the folder and select Show in Enclosing Folder. In the Finder window, select the alias, right-click and select Show Original. Drag the found folder to the sidebar.

Thanks - I had tried that (re-adding the original folder) - it still doesn't work... same error in Console...

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Thanks - I had tried that (re-adding the original folder) - it still doesn't work... same error in Console...

Open a new Finder window, browse to where the folder in question resides and press command-key i-key on the folder name in question (don't select it from the sidebar). In the Finder info window, for Kind: what does it show?

mj_

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2017
Austin, TX
What folder are you trying to drag and drop files into? Sounds to me like you might lack write permissions on this particular folder

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
What folder are you trying to drag and drop files into? Sounds to me like you might lack write permissions on this particular folder

Lack of write permissions would not cause the folder to be greyed out when you attempted to drag files to it in the sidebar. I initially thought this same thing until I did a test. Also, if the folder had a lack of write permission, a pop up window stating that admin authentication was required to copy the files to the folder.

laz232

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2016
At a café near you
Lack of write permissions would not cause the folder to be greyed out when you attempted to drag files to it in the sidebar. I initially thought this same thing until I did a test. Also, if the folder had a lack of write permission, a pop up window stating that admin authentication was required to copy the files to the folder.

I found out the problem:
there was a xattr
com.apple.quarantine 29
on that folder - for some reason that prevented drag and drop when added to the sidebar, but no other problems when saving to the folder.

Problem fixed after performing:
xattr -d com.apple.quarantine

Flamespark

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2020
Preston
I can't drag ANY of my folders at all. Won't drag into another folder or the trash etc. I have to click on the option button and click. Very frustrating!

John Gil

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2019
I found out the problem:
there was a xattr
com.apple.quarantine 29
on that folder - for some reason that prevented drag and drop when added to the sidebar, but no other problems when saving to the folder.

Problem fixed after performing:
xattr -d com.apple.quarantine
Simply placing 'xattr -d com.apple.quarantine' into terminal and hitting enter seems to lack a path to the folder in question. Would you be kind enough to be specific here please? This problem is driving me bonkers and perhaps what you have found is my issue as well. Thanks...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.