Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimac

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 18, 2005
Dragon Dictate WAS working fine on my Apple silicon MacBook Pro, but today (2021-02-24) it crashed. I guess that Nuance has pulled the plug in macOS 11 and later, or the old code couldn't keep up. My new M1 MacBook Pro inherited the final version of Nuance's Dragon dictation app through Migration Assistant -- just tried it on my old top-end 2017 retina MacBook running High Sierra, and Dragon still works fine there, but with a small fraction of the computing power, so I guess that I'll use that for dictation, reluctantly, though I enjoy the MacBook's lighter weight.

Apple no longer does Enhanced Dictation (you've got to go to System Preferences / Accessibility / Voice Control and click "Enable Voice Control" and then go into the "Commands" option and turn off ALL the "Basic Navigation", "Overlays & Mouse" and "Accessibility" options plus whichever of the "Dictation", "Text Selection", "Text Navigation", "Text Editing" and "Text Deletion" options you don't need or want to use, and then the user still doesn't have all of the extremely useful AI learning functions and capabilities that Dragon Dictate, or whatever Nuance's Nom de Jour is/was that day, used to have).

With the TONS of AI processors in the new Apple silicon chips, Apple, if it doesn't want to develop it itself, should hire or encourage another developer to create a WORLD-BEATING DICTATION app for these great new Macintosh computers, if not for their iPads and iOS devices (Apple's Dictation in iOS and iPad OS, as well as Siri and normal macOS Dictation, sends your voice recording over the Internet to Apple for processing, unlike the previous macOS's "Enhanced Dictation" or now Big Sur's "Voice Control", which is processed locally, offline, on your own computer).

(I also think that some form of Enhanced Dictation would be a great enhancement for a future Super-Duper Apple TV!)

NeXTMac

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2013
My RSIs recently been acting up, and I have to agree the state of Apple dictation is insane. Desperation setting in. Period.

rforno

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2017
I agree. I've resorted to opening a Google Doc and using Voice Typing there ... it's basic but 'good enough' but nowhere where Dragon used to be.

Frankly I'm astounded Apple is so slow on implementing quality voice control / dictation onto its platform (to say nothing about the pile of junk known as Siri). IMO they should've been the ones to buy Nuance, not Microsoft.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.