Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gleerup

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2017
Hi

So i am having problems with my macbook pro 13" retina. About a week ago i drained the battery until it was completely empty and left the laptop without charger for about a week (i know this is a bad idea but was in a rush at the moment...)

Then i returned home yesterday, charged the macbook until full, and turned it on. It seemed to work fine in the begninning but then it started turning off at random, and now it turns off within 5secs-5 min of starting it up. I have tried resetting SMC and NVRAM with no luck. Problem persists wether it is connected to charger or not.

Somehow i think the problem might be that the laptop "thinks" that the battery is dead/low and therefore turns off to prevent complete drainage even though the computer is fully charged.

Futhermore i read some other posts regarding running pythonscript to keep CPU loaded but this doesnt resolve the issue here, as i think the cause might be different from the reffered problem

Hoping that you can help
Cheers

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
How old is the MacBook?
Have you checked the battery using "Coconut Battery"? (free app)

Gleerup

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2017
How old is the MacBook?
Have you checked the battery using "Coconut Battery"? (free app)

The macbook is 2 years old - here is the coconut battery stats

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-08-16 at 20.14.08.png
    Screen Shot 2018-08-16 at 20.14.08.png
    122.7 KB · Views: 166

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Others will correct me if I'm wrong here, but...

Is there a separately-replaceable "charging/power" board on that one, that connects to the motherboard?
If so, could it be the "point of failure"?

You might check this out on ifixit.com.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.