Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ToyoCorollaGR

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 21, 2023
Just bought an IPad mini for use with my children, my youngest wants to draw so I bought an Apple Pencil as well, looking for suggestions for a good app that isn't overly expensive so she can draw when I see her. Thanks in advance!

Reactions: bondr006

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
I use Inifinity Painter. Free to start, you're only limited to three layers until you buy it. I only need Procreate when I'm painting 3D models.

Reactions: ToyoCorollaGR

Beards

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2014
Derbyshire UK
What age is your youngest? My youngest grandchild is 8 and she watches me using Procreate, so much so that she also uses it when over our house.
Procreate is absolutely great but unless you know the app yourself she will be very limited in it’s use and what it can offer.

Reactions: ToyoCorollaGR

bondr006

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2010
Cary, NC - My Name is Rob Bond
Just bought an IPad mini for use with my children, my youngest wants to draw so I bought an Apple Pencil as well, looking for suggestions for a good app that isn't overly expensive so she can draw when I see her. Thanks in advance!
Sketchbook is my favorite. 4.8 out of 5 stars and over 215,000 ratings/reviews. Free to use as is. Only $1.99 to upgrade to premium.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-13 105634.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-13 105634.png
    362.9 KB · Views: 47

ToyoCorollaGR

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 21, 2023
What age is your youngest? My youngest grandchild is 8 and she watches me using Procreate, so much so that she also uses it when over our house.
Procreate is absolutely great but unless you know the app yourself she will be very limited in it’s use and what it can offer.
She's 9 now

Beards

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2014
Derbyshire UK
She's 9 now
Unless you have experience with a dedicated Art App, 9 years of age is quite young to learn the complexities of say Procreate or other similar titles.
My recommendation would be for you to sit with her and on the tablet go to the Apple Store App and type “drawing book - sketch & painting”.
You will be surprised just how many App’s pop up that she can try. Go for one that is free for a limited use and if she likes it then you could look into purchasing any add-ons.

LibbyLA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2017
Use your favorite search engine to search for “iPad drawing app reviews”. You should find several good articles with recommendations and some of the apps are free. The pros and cons should help you choose one or more that are suitable for her to try.

• Sad

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
Use your favorite search engine to search for “iPad drawing app reviews”. You should find several good articles with recommendations and some of the apps are free. The pros and cons should help you choose one or more that are suitable for her to try.
I am not sure how helpful you’re being. Perhaps you’re being sarcastic? In which case rather unhelpful. Don’t you think before going to the effort of typing and replying to a forum thread, they first would have tried searching the web? I suspect the OP is here for more personalised advice on top of a random web or App Store search.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
My very young son uses the notes app. Becuase he can just pick up the pencil and tap the screen on the iPad to get a canvass. He doesn’t need me to unlock it and neither can he access the iPad fully himself. It’s very simple to use. He’s being doing it since he was about 1ish, so if it’s huge simplicity you’re after, that’s certainly a good choice.

LibbyLA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2017
I am not sure how helpful you’re being. Perhaps you’re being sarcastic? In which case rather unhelpful. Don’t you think before going to the effort of typing and replying to a forum thread, they first would have tried searching the web? I suspect the OP is here for more personalised advice on top of a random web or App Store search.
I didn’t mean to be unhelpful and I was NOT being sarcastic. I very recently read a blog post discussing various drawing apps and found the pros and cons informative. The way I’ve always looked at it is that some things that I think are pros are what other people find to be cons, and vice versa. I have also found that most people are familiar with a couple of things and one of those is their favorite.

I apologize for offending your sensibilities or whatever.

• Sad

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012

Just curious... Did you consider buying her a paper sketchbook and some real pens / pencils?

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
I didn’t mean to be unhelpful and I was NOT being sarcastic. I very recently read a blog post discussing various drawing apps and found the pros and cons informative. The way I’ve always looked at it is that some things that I think are pros are what other people find to be cons, and vice versa. I have also found that most people are familiar with a couple of things and one of those is their favorite.

I apologize for offending your sensibilities or whatever.
You didn’t offend me in any way, slightly strange to suggest it could be offensive. However, as I’m sure you’re well aware - ‘just Google it’ is generally frowned upon for a forum reply precisely because it’s unhelpful, obvious and can be frustrating and belittling to any OP genuinely asking for some personalised advice. Anyhow, appreciate your reply stating your reasoning, have a lovely day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.