Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 10, 2014
Does anyone draw on their iPad while it’s on the Magic Keyboard? How is it? I have an older iPad Pro so I don’t have a MK, but looking at pictures it seems like it doesn’t lean back far enough to be at a very comfortable drawing angle, maybe because if it did it would start to tip backward. I’m ok with a little tipping with pen pressure because my hand would be resting on the keyboard while drawing. I’m more worried about the drawing angle and whether the hinge is too weak for pen pressure and the screen will rotate when I’m trying to draw. I should go try it at an Apple Store, but might not have time for a bit so just asking in the meantime.

The reason I want to keep it on the MK while drawing is I want to simultaneously use keyboard shortcuts for my drawing software, and the MK floating design is (hopefully) perfect for that because it lifts the screen closer to me while I’m able to put my hand under the screen to access keys.

If you want to know the whole backstory/context for this question: for work I use specific drawing software only available on Mac/PC. This is fine at my desk where I have a Mac and drawing monitor, plenty of space etc., but I often (maybe even mostly) draw on the go/away from my desk. I’ve tried portable drawing monitors connected to my MacBook Pro, but having to find a power outlet and hook up a second device and find enough working space for both devices is extremely inconvenient and often not even possible. I much prefer Mac but my mobile needs were so great that I finally caved and went Windows after the release of the Surface Laptop Studio which also has that floating design. The mobility it has given me has been amazing, definitely worth it. But it’s Windows which I still really don’t like (that’s how much I need mobility). After two years, I’m still trying to think of ways to go back to Mac. Today I realized that with the MK’s floating design and Sidecar, I might be able to just put my MBP in clamshell mode and stack the iPP/MK on top of it, and just use the iPP as my drawing MacBook. The largest 12.9” iPP is quite a bit smaller than ideal for me, but I might be will to suffer it to be able to go back to Mac. And hopefully rumors of a larger iPP will turn out to be true.

Of course the other crucial question is how well does drawing work in Sidecar. Probably need to create another thread for that question, but feel free to answer here if you have any experience. FYI, my standard is very high (think Cintiq, Surface/Surface Pen, native iPad/Pencil), so this might actually be the dealbreaker, if drawing on the MK isn’t.

Thanks 🙏

DaveOZ

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2008
I use an iPad Pro 12.9 to draw. I an architect and use Conecpts and Morpholio Trace for sketching over PDF plans.

I'm do not draw while the iPad is attached to the Magic Keyboard - the angle does not work for me. It's plenty stable enough but I'm just not used to drawing like that. I remove it, close the case and place the iPad on top of the closed case or on my desk.

The MK hinge is very strong and if you're able to draw ok on that angle it would be fine.

Reactions: subjonas

DaveOZ

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2008
Oh, regarding your second question, I've not played with Sidecar. I do all my CAD work on Mac with Archicad and only use the iPad for notes and sketching on native iPad apps.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 10, 2014
I use an iPad Pro 12.9 to draw. I an architect and use Conecpts and Morpholio Trace for sketching over PDF plans.

I'm do not draw while the iPad is attached to the Magic Keyboard - the angle does not work for me. It's plenty stable enough but I'm just not used to drawing like that. I remove it, close the case and place the iPad on top of the closed case or on my desk.

The MK hinge is very strong and if you're able to draw ok on that angle it would be fine.
Thank you for the feedback. I suspect it won’t be a great drawing angle for me too… but really good to hear the hinge is strong enough.

PlayUltimate

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2016
Boulder, CO
I do not own a MK. But I do like the Zugu case with a BT keyboard with my 12.9" iPP. The Zugu case has a pretty strong magnet that allows for a variety of angles.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 10, 2014
I do not own a MK. But I do like the Zugu case with a BT keyboard with my 12.9" iPP. The Zugu case has a pretty strong magnet that allows for a variety of angles.
Thanks, but at first glance the Zugu case doesn’t seem to be right for me. I’m really looking for a floating display with a keyboard and preferably trackpad underneath, as I’ve found that form factor to provide the best combination of mobility and ergonomics and convenience for me. I’ve tried using an external keyboard and it’s more cumbersome, takes up more space, plus there’s no trackpad. For reference, I’m currently using a Surface Laptop Studio, which mostly has the form factor I want and mostly works very well for me (in the pic imagine my right hand using a stylus and my left hand under the display using the keyboard for shortcuts and the trackpad for gestures). My biggest issue by far though is that it doesn’t run macOS.
1705090493875.jpeg

Reactions: PlayUltimate
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.