Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tonywalker23

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 21, 2003
SC
I know it's way off base, but I thought yesterday: "I wish Apple would release an iPod just like the original. Maybe a little thinner without the spinning drive, support for Airpods, and USB-C instead of firewire. But keep the same look and design."

And then I wish they'd do the same thing with the iMac G4.

I'll keep dreaming, using the 'rewound' app on my iPhone, and browsing eBay listings for iPod originals with scuffed backs that don't turn on.

ruslan120

macrumors 65816
Jul 12, 2009
right there with you. I’m also hoping for a re-done classical iPhone.

I went as far as buying a raspberry pi zero and planning to put its internals inside of an iPod classic case but the board is too big and the classic is ultra compact as is.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Things move forward, and then comes the age of retro, and then again things move forward, and then again comes a time of 'retro'... I do believe once this large-screen phones era is done, we will again move towards pocketability. iPod could be revived, as music is still around, and the device has a place. However, considering CarPlay and that other times we have one of the devices with us (phone, iPad, Mac), the iPod saw diminished place in our everyday world. Instead of being necessary for something, it became optional, and that is why Apple took it off.

Airport line on the other hand.. they really should have kept it and updated it with Wi-Fi 6 and what not. I would much prefer an Apple router than any other.

Magoo1979

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2020
I found a iPod Nano the other day and was like I’m so plugging this in as its got blue tooth etc. I no longer have songs downloaded on my computer due to Apple Music and now I have no idea how to get music on it. Got me thinking about my original iPod. How i miss the it. I would buy an updated version if it was modelled on the original!

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
A tweaked version of the 5th generation Classic would be excellent. LED IPS screen, 640x480 res. Bluetooth support, 256 and 512 GB SSD, slightly thinner case. Improved plastic front to avoid scratches and discoloring. USB-C connectivity, with ability to plug into TV with HDMI.

Something like that would be perfect, and maybe a Nano version of it with most of the above features, probably smaller SSD.

trevpimp

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2009
Inside A Mac Box
If they had an iPod Classic with an Apple Music installed and can stream on WiFi that would be awesome

but hey don’t let it get to you cause Apple will soon give us another surprise around the corner. You never know ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.