Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PoetCSW

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2009
Austin, TX
In an alternate reality, Apple listens to creative pros and introduces a 17in MacBook Pro.

What would the machine (realistically) be? My wishlist.
  • Five hour battery is fine. Power cord is normal.
  • Real, killer PRO GPU.
  • User memory slots to 64GB.
  • Return of ports (for now).
  • Real, PowerBook era keyboard.
  • Retina ISP Matte screen option.
  • Desktop class CPU.
I still need Ethernet, USB A, and a digital audio. But, I know port needs change. MagSafe was a lifesaver more than once.

Would such a gesture matter? Too late?

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
That would be glorious.

More of a mobile workstation type of computer rather than ultrabook.

Reactions: PoetCSW

CodeSpyder

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Orlando, FL
In an alternate reality, Apple listens to creative pros and introduces a 17in MacBook Pro.

• Real, killer PRO GPU.
  • Desktop class CPU.
I still need Ethernet, USB A, and a digital audio. But, I know port needs change. MagSafe was a lifesaver more than once.

Dream on.

Reactions: myscrnnm

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
Five hour battery is fine. Power cord is normal.
Then why the battery at all? I can understand that a notebook makes it easier to lug around so you can work somewhere else but having a battery when using the power cord is normal doesn't make much sense (if you want to use it as a UPS: you could buy one or it can have a smaller battery life of 20 minutes (which is the average time on battery power on the average UPS anyway)).

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015

• Real, killer PRO GPU.
  • Desktop class CPU.

I'm sure they will get right on that, powered by unicorns and rainbows no doubt. :)

jackoatmon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2011
tumblr_m4l2wdcL8j1qz9spro1_400.jpg

Capt T

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2010
Petition with enough people/promises to buy to make it worth their time and resources....that means a small minority will be paying for the R&D on something like that. Meaning not cheap.

gpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
Petition with enough people/promises to buy to make it worth their time and resources....that means a small minority will be paying for the R&D on something like that. Meaning not cheap.

How much R&D is needed for a minor tweak of the MBP design? They could do it, no sweat.

Capt T

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2010
How much R&D is needed for a minor tweak of the MBP design? They could do it, no sweat.

Not sure...someone with more engineering background could answer that. But would imagine at the least hinge, test the body design, as if you are all asking for more desktop class laptop it will most likely be a different design. Software tweaks for yet another CPU and GPU. Which screen is best and keeps their 'retina' level of pixels...to name just a few things.

Seed101

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2015

• Real, killer PRO GPU.
  • Desktop class CPU.

...but it wouldn't fit in your handbag?

Rian Gray

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2011
NJ, United States
From what I understand, digital audio is still in, via 3.5mm. As for the ethernet, I only use it time to time, so I'd rather have another thunderbolt port rather then a dedicated ethernet port.

What I really don't understand is Apple's decision to make it all USB-C, thunderbolt 3 ports. While 10 hr battery does make it less needed feature (a long with can charge with anywhere of those 4 ports, which makes it less likely to trip over the cord), it still is a damn good feature in good demand.

If Jobs was still here, he'd laugh at audience and say, "if you need ethernet, USB-A, magsafe ports, and SD card slots, we are also selling an attachable hub (just like this one) for $99" and moved on. And it would've made sense. Now Apple is missing out major accessory, not covering all their bases.

edit: apparently digital audio is not in! bummer.

Last edited:

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
Not sure...someone with more engineering background could answer that. But would imagine at the least hinge, test the body design, as if you are all asking for more desktop class laptop it will most likely be a different design. Software tweaks for yet another CPU and GPU. Which screen is best and keeps their 'retina' level of pixels...to name just a few things.

Well considering Apple used to actually make a 17" MBP (my dad still has his) then it shouldn't be that big of an issue for them. I mean they are supposedly tech geniuses right? ;)

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
Well considering Apple used to actually make a 17" MBP (my dad still has his) then it shouldn't be that big of an issue for them. I mean they are supposedly tech geniuses right? ;)

It'd be nothing for them to do it.

I was hoping it would come back once 17" Retina displays were available, but it looks like that isn't going to happen as they push more towards iPads.

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
It'd be nothing for them to do it.

I was hoping it would come back once 17" Retina displays were available, but it looks like that isn't going to happen as they push more towards iPads.

True. A 17" would be sweet. I wouldn't need to have an external monitor when at a desk and it can still be light enough to take on the go.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
True. A 17" would be sweet. I wouldn't need to have an external monitor when at a desk and it can still be light enough to take on the go.

I use the 2010 17" now as my mobile device. It's a bit bulky and heavy... but if they had one at around 5 pounds and slimmed up the body and bezels, it'd be more than portable enough.

Having the screen real estate on the go is outstanding... especially with side-by-side documents.

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
I use the 2010 17" now as my mobile device. It's a bit bulky and heavy... but if they had one at around 5 pounds and slimmed up the body and bezels, it'd be more than portable enough.

Having the screen real estate on the go is outstanding... especially with side-by-side documents.

True that. And they could make the display 4K.

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
I would love them to bring back the 17". Doubtful though. :(

Seed101

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2015
This. No one would buy this garbage. This is essentially what the OP is asking for.

I mean people may but there's no way in hell apple would make a profit on it. I guarantee it would encroach on the Mac Pro line.

See above...beaten to it :)

Reactions: myscrnnm

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Well, now that the world is officially crazy, I can't totally dismiss the possibility of this happening

agaskew

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2009
It shall be named the MacBook Ultra. And it shall cost the GDP of a small country to buy.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Its a pipe dream, Apple killed it off for a reason and they don't think that reason has changed, otherwise they would have brought it back, if they thought it would make them money.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.