Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tchorta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2005
Wyoming
Hey all, I am relatively new to web design. I am trying to figure out what software I should purchase, I am planning on purchasing either Studio 8 or Adobe Creative Suite Premium. I have Studio MX 2004 (edu. version) and have been using it for about a year now and really like it. I however have much more experience with Adobe products but have never even seen GoLive running. So I dunno if it would even be worth looking at. Any thoughts would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance everyone.

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
i prefer GoLive--the interface just seems so much better; more intuitive. also i have more experience with adobe cs than with mx suite. i dont know about the html dreamweaver produces but i have notices GoLive can produce some weird html, especially with font tags (around every few words sometimes)
edit (love the new edit): i dont do anything really advanced, and i dont use css or any other languages besides html, fwiw.

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
Dreamweaver!!

I feel very strongly about this as I've spent HOURS fixing up bad code golive has punched out. As homerjward said it likes to put font tags around everything.

ChicoWeb

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2004
California
dornoforpyros said:
Dreamweaver!!

I feel very strongly about this as I've spent HOURS fixing up bad code golive has punched out. As homerjward said it likes to put font tags around everything.

Ford or Chevy?

I prefer DW, and DW8 is AMAZING. I teach a web design course and we will be using DW8 next semester so I'm getting used to it. The CSS is 10 times better than last version, and lots of bugs have been fixed.

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
I've worked with both, and since you're buying the whole package, I would suggest Studio 8. Adobe is much stronger with its graphics applications, but sometimes it feels like GoLive is just kind of thrown in there to compete with Macromedia. Studio 8 has Flash, etc.

mikemodena

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2005
Connecticut
In my opinion, and I've been doing this for awhile now, you're going to need Studio 8, and then Photoshop. If money is tight, don't buy both Suite packages, and then you can go with Dreamweaver. They both do the same things, but in different ways. If you get used to Dreamweaver, you'll be fine. You're definately going to need Flash because Flash is the web standard these days. Flash 8 is the best so far IMO.

L

littlejim

Try both with the 30 day preview

I've been using golive since version 2 (pre Adobe days) and have recently bought Studio 8 and am doing a project with DW8.

My opinion is that whilst DW8 doesn't mess with your code as much as GoLive, is faster and has some nice features (adding a design-time CSS is fantastic) ... it has many, many flaws and cannot be call 'AMAZING'.

GoLive integrates much better with the Finder and (obviously) with other Adobe packages (Smart Photoshop components are a real time saver). But Adobe have sort of abandoned GoLive which is a crying shame. It has remained stagnent for many years.

Best thing is to try both with the 30 day trials but also try the other packages - rapidweaver and BBEdit.

Roll on Golive/Dreamweaver merge I say.

tchorta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2005
Wyoming
Thanks

Hey thanks guys. I really appreciate the input, and have decided to go with Studio 8 for now then I'll upgrade my Adobe suite later this year and have both to play with :p

Doozy

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2005
I prefer Dreamweaver, and looking into the future I see Adobe keeping Dreamweaver and abandoning GoLive. I first learned web design with GoLive, since it had an easier interface, and when I knew what I was doing I switched to Dreamweaver and never looked back.

Although, I will still do a site in GoLive from time to time if the client asks for it.

ipacmm

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2003
Cincinnati, OH
I use Dreamweaver for everything. It works great with Flash and all of the other Macromedia programs. I haven't used GoLive in a few year, but I would download the 30-day trial for both and see which one you like the best.

tchorta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2005
Wyoming
I just received my copy of Studio 8:cool: and I love what I have seen so far! Thanks guys for all the friendly advice! :D

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
tchorta said:
I just received my copy of Studio 8:cool: and I love what I have seen so far! Thanks guys for all the friendly advice! :D
I'm glad you went with Dreamweaver. It's a lot more user friendly than GoLive. Then again last year that was our main WYSIWYG HTML Editor is Dreamweaver.

cplusd

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2005
Being a Flash Developer I get the luxury of getting the whole Studio update. Personally I like using Dreamweaver for XML, PHP and CSS (just using it as a glorified text editor). I like using BBEdit too but one feature I love in Dreamweaver is the reference palette. :)

EricBrian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2005
Doozy said:
Although, I will still do a site in GoLive from time to time if the client asks for it.

Client asks for it? Really? I've never had a client ask that I build a site for them with them telling me what to use to create it. And, I've done quite a few sites.

Dane D.

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2004
ohio
Depends

Depends, if you have used any Adobe products than use GoLive. The interface is familiar. I use it, like it, and yes it does have have its quarks but, as with any software, the decision is a personal one. Macromedia software in IMO is confusing, but that is me.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
cplusd said:
Being a Flash Developer I get the luxury of getting the whole Studio update. Personally I like using Dreamweaver for XML, PHP and CSS (just using it as a glorified text editor). I like using BBEdit too but one feature I love in Dreamweaver is the reference palette. :)
You know you get the same effects with TextWrangler 2 (its free from http://www.barebones.com/ )

ChicoWeb

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2004
California
EricBrian said:
Client asks for it? Really? I've never had a client ask that I build a site for them with them telling me what to use to create it. And, I've done quite a few sites.

Lol, I was thinking the same thing. HTML is HTML, is it not?

radiantm3

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2005
San Jose, CA
You BBEdit users should try Textmate (http://www.macromates.com). I went through most of the popular OS X text editors and ended up being happy with BBEdit. That is until I discovered Textmate. Lets just say I haven't touched BBedit since.

And I don't know how you guys can deal with dreamweaver on the mac. It's horribly slow and very bloated.

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
I prefer Dreamweaver. I have GoLive too, but I don't use it. I tried to make something with it, but I just have used to DW and cant use anything else.

BTW I have DW8 now :D it rocks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.