Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Platform

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 30, 2004
Just a quick question:

How/Is there a auto-thumnail function in Dreamweaver MX 2004 :confused: :eek: "I can't find it :eek:

Platform

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 30, 2004
ChicoWeb said:
None that I know of.. Check out Photoshop batch jobs.

Just saw that in Frontpage........don't like the rest of the program :p But that function works very good ;) :rolleyes:

pulsewidth947

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2005
My 2¢

If you are creating thumbnails of pictures for a website, I highly recommend creating them yourself (with a little help from Photoshop actions). Creating thumbnails yourself allows you artistic license - instead of just having a resized version of the picture, why not crop an interesting part out and use that. The key is finding something thats going to attract the eye and make someone want to click the thumbnail :)

If you need standard resized thumbnails, or the thumbs arent going to become buttons, just ignore the above :D

Platform

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 30, 2004
pulsewidth947 said:
If you are creating thumbnails of pictures for a website, I highly recommend creating them yourself (with a little help from Photoshop actions). Creating thumbnails yourself allows you artistic license - instead of just having a resized version of the picture, why not crop an interesting part out and use that. The key is finding something thats going to attract the eye and make someone want to click the thumbnail :)

If you need standard resized thumbnails, or the thumbs arent going to become buttons, just ignore the above :D

Well for the moment I have done the all manually in PS :mad:

But what do you mean by PS actions..........tell me how :eek: ...just use the as links to the actual pic ;)

realityisterror

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2003
Snellville, GA
Platform said:
But what do you mean by PS actions..........tell me how

I can try to give you a little run through...

Ok, first open just some sample image. Make sure you can see the Actions Palette (it's usually with History Window-->Actions)
Click the "Create New Action" on the palette, name it, and click ok.
It starts to record everything you do and save it as the action.
From there just resize as normal... (Image-->Image Size...) and Save it
And when you're done click Stop in the palette, and you're basically done

When you want to use it, open the next image you want to resize, and, with your action selected, click Play, and it'll run through the resize automatically and then prompt you for the save settings

To expedite it even more, you can File-->Automate-->Batch, and you should be able to figure it out from there
:)

Hope that helps,
reality

iSaint

macrumors 603
Me too!

Platform said:
Just saw that in Frontpage........don't like the rest of the program :p But that function works very good ;) :rolleyes:

I was JUST looking in Dreamweaver for a thumbnail action to no avail. Frontpage did make this easy back in my Windos days. (has it been a year yet?)

I did what ChicoWeb suggested and used Photoshop. It worked fine. I like the idea of getting a part of the pic as the thumbnail, though.

Platform

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 30, 2004
realityisterror said:
I can try to give you a little run through...

Ok, first open just some sample image. Make sure you can see the Actions Palette (it's usually with History Window-->Actions)
Click the "Create New Action" on the palette, name it, and click ok.
It starts to record everything you do and save it as the action.
From there just resize as normal... (Image-->Image Size...) and Save it
And when you're done click Stop in the palette, and you're basically done

When you want to use it, open the next image you want to resize, and, with your action selected, click Play, and it'll run through the resize automatically and then prompt you for the save settings

To expedite it even more, you can File-->Automate-->Batch, and you should be able to figure it out from there
:)

Hope that helps,
reality

Oh.....cool :D

Thanks a lot ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.