Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jules716

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2016
Hi! I took my 2013 macbook pro with retina into the apple store to get a separate repair that's covered under warranty. However, they called me saying that there was chocolate on the flash memory drive, classifying the computer as "water damaged", so the only way for me to get anything fixed is to fork over $755+ to have it sent in for a full repair.

The computer's running fine (and the last time I ate chocolate at home was about 4 months ago), so I asked for an image (attached).

From other pictures I found online of the flash drives, it looks like the chocolate is on a part of the flash drive memory card that is not vulnerable (as in is pure plastic). Can anyone tell me otherwise? Will it likely cause me problems in the future? And if it may, is there any way to get it removed/fixed easily without paying a ridiculous amount?

I'm very much a noob at these sort of things, so please let me know if you need any other info about the computer or the damage!

THANKY YOU!

Attachments

• IMG_2581.JPG
    IMG_2581.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 295

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Due to the "liquid damage" your warranty is now void. The chocolate can be easily removed from the flash drive with a little isopropyl alcohol, but I'm guessing your computer is now flagged as liquid damaged by Apple.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I can also see what appears to be corrosion not far from that "food-drop

What is the "separate repair that's covered..." ?
Is there any possibility that problem is also related to your "food" issues...?
Yes, if Apple has already flagged your computer, then cleaning a small spot may not help you toward your goal of warranty service - and it's certainly also possible that other related issues might be found with more disassembly. (I would be curious to see what is underneath that flash card)
Liquid damage seldom turns out in your favor, unfortunately.

jules716

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2016
The separate repair was the coating coming off of my retina screen (http://appleinsider.com/articles/15...s-quality-program-for-retina-macbook-coatings). So unrelated, but I can live without getting the repair.

If I have the liquid/chocolate damage repaired by someone else (not apple) will my warranty still be void?

My current plan is to just live with it (backing up often) to delay the decision whether or not to repair until it actually breaks. It sounds like that may be the best plan of action, considering that there are many question marks with liquid damage and the machine is running fine now. Thoughts?

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2016
The separate repair was the coating coming off of my retina screen (http://appleinsider.com/articles/15...s-quality-program-for-retina-macbook-coatings). So unrelated, but I can live without getting the repair.

If I have the liquid/chocolate damage repaired by someone else (not apple) will my warranty still be void?

My current plan is to just live with it (backing up often) to delay the decision whether or not to repair until it actually breaks. It sounds like that may be the best plan of action, considering that there are many question marks with liquid damage and the machine is running fine now. Thoughts?

I am guessing the spill is caused by the fan sucking the liquid through the back vent since most people who spilled liquid on the keyboard would know about it.

Anyway, I have done many of these liquid spill cleanings and some people told me that they had laptops subsequently repaired for other issues without a problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.