Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac Hammer Fan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 13, 2004
=== PROBLEMS SUMMARY ===
Failed Indicators (life-span / pre-fail) : 0 (0 / 0)
Failing Indicators (life-span / pre-fail) : 3 (2 / 1)
Warnings (life-span / pre-fail) : 0 (0 / 0)
Recently failed Self-tests (Short / Full) : 0 (0 / 0)
I/O Error Count : 0 (0 / 0)
Time in Under temperature : 0 minutes
Time in Over temperature : 0 minutes

=== IMPORTANT HEALTH INDICATORS ===
ID NAME RAW VALUE STATUS
5 Reallocated Sector Count 6.880 94.4% Failing
187 Reported Uncorrectable Errors 0 100% OK
197 Current Pending Sector Count 4.256 75.0% Failing
198 Offline Uncorrectable Sector Count 4.256 75.0% Failing
199 UDMA CRC Error Count 0 100% OK
241 Total LBAs Written 31.886.321.861 (14.8 TB) 100% OK

Can this be solved by erasing the disk or should I buy a new one?
It's a Barracuda Seagate 7200 rpm 3GB.
I notice that these are now nearly always 5400 rpm. It's for storing iTunes Media.

TIA

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
=== PROBLEMS SUMMARY ===
Failed Indicators (life-span / pre-fail) : 0 (0 / 0)
Failing Indicators (life-span / pre-fail) : 3 (2 / 1)
Warnings (life-span / pre-fail) : 0 (0 / 0)
Recently failed Self-tests (Short / Full) : 0 (0 / 0)
I/O Error Count : 0 (0 / 0)
Time in Under temperature : 0 minutes
Time in Over temperature : 0 minutes

=== IMPORTANT HEALTH INDICATORS ===
ID NAME RAW VALUE STATUS
5 Reallocated Sector Count 6.880 94.4% Failing
187 Reported Uncorrectable Errors 0 100% OK
197 Current Pending Sector Count 4.256 75.0% Failing
198 Offline Uncorrectable Sector Count 4.256 75.0% Failing
199 UDMA CRC Error Count 0 100% OK
241 Total LBAs Written 31.886.321.861 (14.8 TB) 100% OK

Can this be solved by erasing the disk or should I buy a new one?
It's a Barracuda Seagate 7200 rpm 3GB.
I notice that these are now nearly always 5400 rpm. It's for storing iTunes Media.

TIA
With that much relocated sectors, it's a paperweight now. Backup and replace it.

Alex Sanders74

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2013
Toronto, Canada
Had to get rid of a WD Black recently for the same reason. I don't think it's worth keeping drives that are failing these days with the cost of them being so low. Here in Canada a 2Tb drive can be had for $100 or less...

Don't risk your critical data. It's really not worth it in the long run.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Copy the drive or use a cloning tool (Carbon Copy Cloner) if you run into copy issues. Once a drive reports issues, save the data somewhere else ASAP. There are 4-8TB Western Digital drives on sale all the time and the portable ones are under $50 USD regularly. If you don't have any bare drive spares, pick up a few and keep around for those "just in case" moments...

Mac Hammer Fan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 13, 2004
5% couldn't be copied. Data Rescue 5 couldn't save this data either.
A message appeared. "Your drive is physically damaged. Data recovery software cannot effectively find your files.
Please turn your drive off to minimize data loss. Thank you for trusting Data Rescue© to recover your files.
Unfortunately, due to the condition of your drive, your files need to be retrieved by our trained data recovery technicians.
As a Data Rescue user, you are eligible for a free evaluation to determine the cause of your drive failure and an action to recover your lost files at the world-famous Data Rescue Center.
Call us or fill out the form below to get started."
They asked me to ship the drive to Livermore, California. I live in Belgium. I guess the files are lost. Luckilly, these files weren't very important.

Last edited:

Alex Sanders74

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2013
Toronto, Canada
5% couldn't be copied. Data Rescue 5 couldn't save this data either.
A message appeared. "Your drive is physically damaged. Data recovery software cannot effectively find your files.
Please turn your drive off to minimize data loss. Thank you for trusting Data Rescue© to recover your files.
Unfortunately, due to the condition of your drive, your files need to be retrieved by our trained data recovery technicians.
As a Data Rescue user, you are eligible for a free evaluation to determine the cause of your drive failure and an action to recover your lost files at the world-famous Data Rescue Center.
Call us or fill out the form below to get started."
They asked me to ship the drive to Livermore, California. I live in Belgium. I guess the files are lost. Luckilly, these files weren't very important.

Sorry that happened, but glad they weren't mission critical files. Maybe replace that new one when the warranty is close to dead so you're not caught in the drive fail vortex again....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.