Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobdobalina

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
My aluminum Apple Watch 8 fell out of my car, and by the time I found it (thanks Find My) it had been run over. The back is smashed but I am impressed that the screen didn't break. The front looks like nothing happened despite spending several hours on the ground in a parking lot. It still turns on and functions correctly. It even attempted to charge when I set it on the charger. Fairly impressive.

Find My is seriously cool. The "if you find this" message I sent when marking the watch as lost was displayed when I found it. Very cool stuff.

Now I have an excuse to buy an Ultra 2.

sifpilsen

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2012
You were lucky the broken rear glass/plastic didn't tear the ribbon cable to the charging loop! And, some tires might apply pressure fairly evenly, as long as they don't run studded tires(Hello Scandinavia).

I have seen Watches with 4 broken sensor glass still give accurate readings.

Reactions: bobdobalina

bobdobalina

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
You were lucky the broken rear glass/plastic didn't tear the ribbon cable to the charging loop! And, some tires might apply pressure fairly evenly, as long as they don't run studded tires(Hello Scandinavia).

I have seen Watches with 4 broken sensor glass still give accurate readings.
I managed to tear that myself. I sat it on the charger just out of curiosity, then took it off because I was worried it could start a fire. The charging loop stayed on the magnet. Oops.

• Love
Reactions: Thomas Davie

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
Impossible. Aluminium watches are instantly destroyed if you breathe on them.

And yes, find my is a superb feature.

Thomas Davie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2004
I managed to tear that myself. I sat it on the charger just out of curiosity, then took it off because I was worried it could start a fire. The charging loop stayed on the magnet. Oops.
Crazy Glue is an option unless you are very good with micro-welding or 3d metal printing parts. Uh, can’t hurt.

Tom

Thomas Davie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2004
Hello Applecare +
When i bought my watch in December, 2023 I made sure I also got Applecare+ b/c this will get passed to my sister when the new watches come out. Either that or 1 watch on each hand for me since I’m not sure she’d willingly switch from Samsung/Android and if I bought her an iPhone she’d just give that to my niece.

Tom

sifpilsen

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2012
Sorry to hear that! The ribbon cable does connect to the rest of the watch with a ribbon connector, but it might be soldered to the sensor side? Anyways, it seems like either some sketchy repairs or whole unit replacement is the way to proceed..

bobdobalina

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
Sorry to hear that! The ribbon cable does connect to the rest of the watch with a ribbon connector, but it might be soldered to the sensor side? Anyways, it seems like either some sketchy repairs or whole unit replacement is the way to proceed..
Best Buy had the 9 on sale for $100 off. Problem solved.

Reactions: sifpilsen
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.