Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Julien

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
I just added my DL (my god what a bunch of bureaucratic hoops to jump through/but that is a different story) and this seems a little strange and NOT AT all what I expected. All I get is this picture that has no info except my first name and last initial. I can hit the info button and select Driver's License info and get a list of the info. Was expecting a "pic" or replica of my DL. So if you are pulled over this is all you need? And if you need your ID, like voting you just show the DL info list? I suspect it will not be honored since it doesn't look official or ANYTHING like a DL. The list of info looks like it could be crated in any app and not official like the license. Also kinda odd then when you screen shot it you get this blank. Not at all what I was expecting. Are other states the same?

IMG_3104.jpeg
IMG_3105.jpeg

zinacef

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2018
I know for AZ, when you press the info icon, it takes you to another page with 3 links - call DMV, access their website, and Drivers License Info.
When you press on the last one, it authenticates (Face ID for me) and I’m brought to another page that has a photo like that one my actually license and all the pertinent information.

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
Yeah, it should be showing more info and a photo.

For your other questions, be sure to read the FAQs for your state: https://dds.georgia.gov/mdl-faqs

The digital ID isn't a replacement for your physical one. You're still required to carry your physical one with you. As for voting, my guess is that you'll need to present your physical ID, unless they have readers/machines to read digital IDs at the polling places.

1686256016305.png

1686256064181.png

Reactions: splifingate

Julien

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Yeah, it should be showing more info and a photo......
It shows my photo and the DL info. You just can't take a screen shot of it. But is still just a looks like a list of info and NOT a DL. It just seems a photo or representation of your actual DL would be more convincing as official than a "text" list of your data. I just can't see going to vote and trying to use this on an elderly poll worker. They would probably be like " I need your real ID". Guess it is just a gimmick since it is NOT a replacement. Do other states also say this? What is the point if it can't be "officially" used?

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
It shows my photo and the DL info. You just can't take a screen shot of it. But is still just a looks like a list of info and NOT a DL. It just seems a photo or representation of your actual DL would be more convincing as official than a "text" list of your data. I just can't see going to vote and trying to use this on an elderly poll worker. They would probably be like " I need your real ID". Guess it is just a gimmick since it is NOT a replacement. Do other states also say this? What is the point if it can't be "officially" used?
Ah, that makes sense it wouldn't show in the screenshot. Yeah, other states are pretty similar. With digital IDs you don't actually show them your ID visually, so no need to have all in your info displayed on there. They need an identity reader to read your ID via NFC, much like how contactless/NFC payments work. The reader is usually connected to the state's network to pull down information about you/the ID. I know some bars in other states have these readers, and I believe it only works with digital IDs for their state too. Right now, these are mostly useful when going through TSA at some airports. I don't think this will really catch on until it's some sort of national standard so that they'll be valid across state borders.

1686260355131.png

Böhme417

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
I’m not trying to be rude, but how has someone with 15+ years on this site and 11k+ posts been oblivious to how IDs in the Wallet works? There have been many posts and many articles about it. I’m not sure why you would have a different expectation or be ignorant about how it works.

Reactions: cateye

RSmith2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2015
Atlanta, GA
1- It is NOT meant to replace your physical license. Currently you can only use it going thru select TSA checkpoints and they use a secure reader to query for the info and you, using the wallet app, approve of providing it and that is transmitted back to their system. This is all validated on the back-end with servers @ GA DDS..

2- You aren’t meant to “show” the info to anyone (currently) so no need on having it replicate the look of your official license.

3- They (Apple) restrict you from taking a screenshot on purpose. It’s a security measure.

Having said that… I just had a birthday last week but the AGE field in my wallet app did not update. Still shows the old age. I expected that field to be dynamic since it has your birthdate and cab compare that to the current date.

Julien

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
1- It is NOT meant to replace your physical license. Currently you can only use it going thru select TSA checkpoints and they use a secure reader to query for the info and you, using the wallet app, approve of providing it and that is transmitted back to their system. This is all validated on the back-end with servers @ GA DDS..

2- You aren’t meant to “show” the info to anyone (currently) so no need on having it replicate the look of your official license.

3- They (Apple) restrict you from taking a screenshot on purpose. It’s a security measure.

Having said that… I just had a birthday last week but the AGE field in my wallet app did not update. Still shows the old age. I expected that field to be dynamic since it has your birthdate and cab compare that to the current date.
OK I get what it DOSEN'T do. So other than TSA what can you use it for? If you can't use it for anything (except TSA line) then what is the point? Apple made a BIG deal out of it when it was announced and they had to work with each state individually to have it approved and implemented.

I had to apply in the Wallet App then had to wait 2 weeks for GA Dept of Licenses Services to send a snail mail telling me to create an account. Next had to make an account on-line and confirm. Then wait on another snail mail to confirm that I actually made the account. All this to have a misnamed DL on my iPhone since it is NOT a Driver's License.

Just seems like I (and Apple and Georgia) went through a lot of work/processes to end up with nothing of any real use or value (unless you are a regular flier).

cateye

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2011
I’m not trying to be rude, but how has someone with 15+ years on this site and 11k+ posts been oblivious to how IDs in the Wallet works? There have been many posts and many articles about it. I’m not sure why you would have a different expectation or be ignorant about how it works.

I think the OP is being purposefully obtuse because you're right, this has been covered to death.

Much in the way that NFC payments (neé ApplePay) were few and far between at first, Apple (and Google—digital IDs as a standard, not some special Apple magical and amazing nonsense) are attempting to solve the chicken and egg problem: While having robust infrastructure for reading digital IDs in place first, then allowing people to add their state ID to their digital wallet, would make some sense, that's rarely how these things work. Just getting states on board with issuing digital IDs in the first place requires tremendous infrastructure changes and has been a slow process. Once that's in place, then the ever widening circle of organizations (from federal law enforcement to local law enforcement to local retailers, and so on) that are able to read the data securely and act upon it as needed will start to increase.

Enabling TSA to read digital IDs makes sense because their need to do so is concentrated in specific locations and their need to access that data is consistent across all interactions. It's a testbed for interactions that are more variable or far-flung.

And no, the ID does not "look" like a regular license: The data is all held securely, and can be read by a special reader, again just like ApplePay.

Reactions: splifingate
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.