Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jadot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 6, 2010
UK
It's there - the Drobo, I mean and the HDD that is passing through is mounting so the cable is fine (FW800 into TB adapter, into iMac).

Did utility won't launch, just hangs, and there's no way to get this sucker in my finder.

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
I would begin by starting Console and looking for messages about the Drobo. I would also consider running fsck on the Drobo from Terminal.

And I also advise patience: I have a 4x4GB Drobo, and I have had mount commands take minutes to complete.

A.

jadot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 6, 2010
UK
Hi, Nothing showing in console - what's a Fsck check?

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
I am surprised that there is nothing in Console, as OS X would normally have tried to mount the filesystem, and this did not happen so I would expect an error message.

"fsck" is just the filesystem checker that Disk Utility uses to test/fix the disks. You can actually use the command line version of Disk Utility, e.g.:

sudo diskutil verifyVolume /dev/diskxxxx

where diskxxxx is the device the Drobo appears as - you indicated in your first post that it was showing up.

There are also 'diskutil repairVolume' and 'diskutil mount' commands.

A.

jadot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 6, 2010
UK
Apologies - the Drobo is showing up in Drobo's own Dashboard, but nowhere in OSX. I know the name of the volume so I could try that as diskxxx?

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
Apologies - the Drobo is showing up in Drobo's own Dashboard, but nowhere in OSX. I know the name of the volume so I could try that as diskxxx?

No. If OS X is detecting the disk, then when you plug in the Drobo a new device will appear in the /dev directory as diskxxx. So, if you want to explore, disconnect the Drobo and in Terminal type:

ls -1 /dev/disk*

which will show you what is there now. Then plug in the Drobo (wait for it to power back up if it went to sleep) and then issue that command again. If the Drobo can be seen by OS X, there will be new entries - the disk numbers assigned to the Drobo. The mountable filesystem is probably on the 's2' device, e.g.: /dev/disk6s2.

If no new devices show up when you plug in the Drobo, then OS X is not seeing it at all. No ideas about that.

Good luck,

A.

jadot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 6, 2010
UK
Hmmm.

It's found it:

started file system verification on disk7s2 Orca

Verifying file system

File system check exit code is 8

Error: -69845: File system verify or repair failed

Underlying error: 8: POSIX reports: Exec format error

office:~ heart$

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.