Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kanunu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 18, 2009
Hawaii
For iPad, how do you drop a pin where you want it? Typically on desktop Google maps I will ask directions from Home to a point that I right click with the mouse and select "directions to here." On Apple Maps in iOS 6 on iPad, I try to go to a drop pin. Of course there is no mouse to click. The problem is the pin seems to drop about a block from where I pointed last. How do you control where the pin drops?

Last edited:

zunex

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2012
Thanks for answering a "dumb" questions without derision. :)

It's not a dumb question at all, since everyone who's new to iOS that I know don't know this. I think Apple should have a clear user guide for the new Maps.

SunnyStudioNeo

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2011
It's a good question. Some other "hidden" gesture tips for you just in case:
- Swipe on a cell to delete
- Shake to clear text
- 5 fingers zooming together to close an iPad app

GabooN

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2008
Windsor, Ontario
Also you mentioned that it drops the pin away from where you wanted it. If it still works the same as it has been, you line up the pin with the location you want, not your finger. The pin is floating above your finger as you drag it around. So stop it when the pin is right where you want it. Let go and it will bounce up and land right where you had it, not in the spot your finger was.

MagnumOP

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2010
When you drop a pin are other users able to see the point of interest that you create?

jimtron

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2008
How do you name the pin? I use Google Maps on my iPhone and often want to save a destination when I'm there...I know how to drop the pin but not name it and save it.

Gsmaniac

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2014
in a similar vain, can i drop more than one pin? I would like to calculate the distance/see the route between two dropped pins when planning trips.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.