Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flatjuba

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2016
While I looked around for the Dropbox for my G4 machines (Powerbook G4 1.5, MDD 2 x 1Ghz & Powermac G4 1.2Ghz), since @Czo had stopped updating his Dropbox magic, I found two alternatives that can sync what I type in my Powerpc realm to the current world of two-way aunthentication.

1. I use free storage from either ADrive.com or swissdisk.com. Connect them with WebDav
2. Use MultCloud (multcloud.com) to create a task of syncing files on those storage to my Dropbox.

However, the caveat is MultCloud is a web based, you have to schedule it, or sync it manually in your current technology device. And, it doesn't have mobile apps with it.

AND, BUT

There is a direct way, something like dropbox, but not quite.
Register yourself in CloudMe (cloudme.com), a European based cloud company, it can do WebDav from the OS (Leopard or Sorbet) or use WebDav client, to connect to directory. And, install desktop version, or mobile version (iOS or Droid), just to make sure that what you type in Powerpc realm is being synced.

Well, any other Powermac user used this? Or do you have any other way?

Reactions: Dronecatcher

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I mainly use my Intel Macs now, which can use Dropbox natively.

However, when I do use my PowerPC Macs, I simply connect to a Mac or PC that uses Dropbox and then work directly inside that computer's Dropbox folder.

It helps that with at least two of my Macs the Dropbox folder resides on a separate drive.

Reactions: TheShortTimer

barracuda156

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2021
While I looked around for the Dropbox for my G4 machines (Powerbook G4 1.5, MDD 2 x 1Ghz & Powermac G4 1.2Ghz), since @Czo had stopped updating his Dropbox magic, I found two alternatives that can sync what I type in my Powerpc realm to the current world of two-way aunthentication.

1. I use free storage from either ADrive.com or swissdisk.com. Connect them with WebDav
2. Use MultCloud (multcloud.com) to create a task of syncing files on those storage to my Dropbox.

However, the caveat is MultCloud is a web based, you have to schedule it, or sync it manually in your current technology device. And, it doesn't have mobile apps with it.

AND, BUT

There is a direct way, something like dropbox, but not quite.
Register yourself in CloudMe (cloudme.com), a European based cloud company, it can do WebDav from the OS (Leopard or Sorbet) or use WebDav client, to connect to directory. And, install desktop version, or mobile version (iOS or Droid), just to make sure that what you type in Powerpc realm is being synced.

There are chances we can make maestral work for Dropbox.

galgot

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2015
As alternative, there is also Koofr. You get 10 Gb for free, a sync app that works on modern MacOS, and WebDav working from 10.6. I've tried in 10.4, but the Finder client wouldn't find the address, and CyberDuck shouts a protocol_version alert :/ Note a specific password must be set for WebDav in you Koofr user prefs.

CBerror.jpg

But, accessing my account works fine with InterWebPPC :) So a box should work too.

WSkoofr.png
Tried with Goliath on OS 9, but as expected I get an SSL error.
Does anyone knows of another Webdav client that would run on 10.4 I could try ?

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK

galgot

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2015

galgot

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2015
So, tried something else with Koofr. As they offer Webdav support, but legacy clients for Leo or tiger would not connect, I've tried Cadaver cmd line webdav client, and it works :) On Leopard at least.

Pike-Bishop-061223.jpg

It's in Macports repos, needs openssl3 and other things.
As you can see it warns of some errors when launching and during connection, but from the small tests I've done (creating folders, deleting...), it seems to works fine.
Not too bad, Koofr offer 10Gb free.

barracuda156

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2021
So, tried something else with Koofr. As they offer Webdav support, but legacy clients for Leo or tiger would not connect, I've tried Cadaver cmd line webdav client, and it works :) On Leopard at least.

View attachment 2321817

It's in Macports repos, needs openssl3 and other things.
As you can see it warns of some errors when launching and during connection, but from the small tests I've done (creating folders, deleting...), it seems to works fine.
Not too bad, Koofr offer 10Gb free.

Potentially some of these may work (totally untested as of now, but I could try building them):

Reactions: galgot

galgot

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2015
Potentially some of these may work (totally untested as of now, but I could try building them):
Thanks, will check that.
Also found out that Koofr support Rclone :
Which can mount remote volume with rclone-mount.

Rclone is in Macports repos, alas -> "Error: rclone cannot be installed for the configured build_arch 'ppc' because it only supports the arch(s) 'arm64 i386 x86_64'."

Note, I'm in no way affiliated with Koofr :D Just find 10Gb and webdav support for free handy .

barracuda156

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2021
Thanks, will check that.
Also found out that Koofr support Rclone :
Which can mount remote volume with rclone-mount.

Rclone is in Macports repos, alas -> "Error: rclone cannot be installed for the configured build_arch 'ppc' because it only supports the arch(s) 'arm64 i386 x86_64'."

Note, I'm in no way affiliated with Koofr :D Just find 10Gb and webdav support for free handy .

It is written in Go, which is broken, so no surprise. For something to work, we need it to be in C/C++, less likely Python. Rust and Go are more or less hopeless.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.