Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PaperQueen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Current set up
Database file: Saved in Dropbox
Associated media folder: Saved in Dropbox, in same parent folder
To use: Must first pause Dropbox to avoid background sync while using the database.

Would this work?
Database file: Saved to local drive
Associated media folder: Saved to Dropbox (so a second Mac can access it)
To use: Launch and use app on local drive while Dropbox is running in the background.

Yes? No? I'm trying to troubleshoot (and explain how background sync works to someone verrrrrry non-tech-savvy), and am curious about the second option. To date, the only explanation I’ve ever had about not storing active databases (i.e., FileMaker file) in Dropbox has to do with corrupted data and conflict copies. Haven't considered storing the linked media folder on Dropbox while running the file from the local drive.

Anxious to hear your thoughts, Oh Wise Ones.

Ebenezum

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2015
I haven't used Dropbox with databases but syncing active database isn't a good idea. Could result in corrupted data.
I would only try it if the developer says it will work.

PaperQueen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
I haven't used Dropbox with databases but syncing active database isn't a good idea. Could result in corrupted data.
I would only try it if the developer says it will work.

The database file itself would live the local drive--only the associated media file that contains .png, .jpg, and .pdf files used in database containers would reside in Dropbox.

With the current set up, I pause Dropbox before opening the database file, then resume syncing after closing it. That works (in great part, because I built pop up reminders into the database triggered by open and close commands).

A different database, built by someone else (i.e., I can't edit to add Dropbox pause reminders), has me wondering about the dual location set up--second option in the original post.

smallcoffee

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2014
North America
Current set up
Database file: Saved in Dropbox
Associated media folder: Saved in Dropbox, in same parent folder
To use: Must first pause Dropbox to avoid background sync while using the database.

Would this work?
Database file: Saved to local drive
Associated media folder: Saved to Dropbox (so a second Mac can access it)
To use: Launch and use app on local drive while Dropbox is running in the background.

Yes? No? I'm trying to troubleshoot (and explain how background sync works to someone verrrrrry non-tech-savvy), and am curious about the second option. To date, the only explanation I’ve ever had about not storing active databases (i.e., FileMaker file) in Dropbox has to do with corrupted data and conflict copies. Haven't considered storing the linked media folder on Dropbox while running the file from the local drive.

Anxious to hear your thoughts, Oh Wise Ones.

I mean, if you're just doing this for personal files than whatever. Not a great idea but it'll probably work.

What are you actually doing with all of this though?

PaperQueen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
I mean, if you're just doing this for personal files than whatever. Not a great idea but it'll probably work.

What are you actually doing with all of this though?

The "Current set up" scenario applies to a Filemaker Pro database (1.75Gb) cataloguing 100+ fountain pens and 200+ inks. Each record has multiple containers--most for images, but some for video. Works like a charm, since I toggle Dropbox sync off when using it.

That's the one I built.

If functional, the second scenario would apply to a commercial app that was sold as being able to sync between multiple computers, but...they kinda sorta "forgot" to mention that the sync includes only part of the database content. Means two critical data sets I need in multiple locations are trapped inside one machine's local Documents folder.

Thus, my "Would this work?" query. Had the developer been transparent about the sync limitations, I would have purchased a completely different app.

When asking tech support about the second scenario set up, their response was "probably not a good idea." When asking specifically why--especially if I toggle Dropbox sync off while the app is engaged--the response turned into "just because."

Obviously clueless. That's why I thought to run it past the much wiser minds here in the forums.

smallcoffee

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2014
North America
The "Current set up" scenario applies to a Filemaker Pro database (1.75Gb) cataloguing 100+ fountain pens and 200+ inks. Each record has multiple containers--most for images, but some for video. Works like a charm, since I toggle Dropbox sync off when using it.

That's the one I built.

If functional, the second scenario would apply to a commercial app that was sold as being able to sync between multiple computers, but...they kinda sorta "forgot" to mention that the sync includes only part of the database content. Means two critical data sets I need in multiple locations are trapped inside one machine's local Documents folder.

Thus, my "Would this work?" query. Had the developer been transparent about the sync limitations, I would have purchased a completely different app.

When asking tech support about the second scenario set up, their response was "probably not a good idea." When asking specifically why--especially if I toggle Dropbox sync off while the app is engaged--the response turned into "just because."

Obviously clueless. That's why I thought to run it past the much wiser minds here in the forums.

Well, let me say this in the defense of the developers: as a software engineer, even if something works you can form an intuition that something eventually won't work. This looks like a case of yes maybe that works right now, but something just doesn't feel right. It's spidey sense.

Reactions: PaperQueen

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
A 1.75gb database is small enough to be "stored locally".
IMO, that's what you should be doing.

Forget about "the cloud" -- too complicated.
"Keep it local", and keep a backup around, too.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"Unless you need to use it in two locations—that's my situation."

I'd put a copy onto a 2tb 2.5" hard drive, and carry it around with me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.