Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
I'm seeing the upgrade £10 cheaper via the Dropbox iOS app at £69. Anybody else?

Yep!

I'm really tempted by that, but I'd still like to see what Apple offer with iCloud Drive.

Out of interest, if I went with DB & turned on camera uploads, does it upload photos & videos automatically and in their original size/resolution?

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
and how many apps support google drive, dropbox and others non-apple clouds? enough that icloud doesn't really matter

Given how quickly developers adopt new APIs within iOS, I very much doubt we'll be waiting more than a month or so before we see most popular iOS apps with iCloud drive support.

hagar

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2008
I know this is an Apple site, but you must be mad to trust your files to iCloud Drive. After .Mac, MobileMe and the first years of iCloud, everybody knows Apple’s online services are unreliable. Not to mention horribly slow. Ever app that relies on iCloud for syncing has trouble with it.

I’ll stay with Dropbox, which hasn’t failed me once.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
If only it wasn't slow as molasses this would be a good deal. Whenever a client sends me a drop box link to download a project it takes foreverrrrr and I'm only talking like 60 Mbs

You're blessed. My internet connection can't even do 1Mb. 60Mb/s is a dream.

nilk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
Does anyone even have an internet connection fast enough to make 1 TB of storage usable? If you need to move that much data, that's going to take a hell of a long time, especially to upload...

Initial sync of a large amount of files may take a while, but after that, if changes are smaller, incremental changes, than it isn't a problem.

I started syncing my ~200GB music collection last night. It's still going, and it was estimating it would take about 24 hours. I currently have 25mbit/sec upload, which, if my calculations are correct, works out to about 270GB (gigabyte) a day, so that's about right. This is soon to be upgraded to 75mbit/sec for free (download is already 75mbit/sec).

I don't plan to sync my ~200GB music collection to my other machines, though, as they currently have smaller SSDes in them, but it'll be nice to be able to access it remotely if I need it.

Note that LAN syncing helps with syncing quite a bit. Though, with Dropbox the files need to be fully uploaded to their servers first before LAN syncing starts. And of course that only helps if your machines are on the same LAN.

octothorpe8

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2014
I tried sharing a 720p H.264 video the other day using DropBox. The share link is a webpage where you have the option to watch the video or download it. The problem is they compress the watchable video on the link even more than it already is. The highly compressed audio sounds absolutely awful and the video is loaded with unwanted digital artifacts.

I've run into this on their web viewer as well — and also longer videos crapping out after like 15 minutes. Same thing, I end up telling people to hit the download link. I don't see it as a *huge* problem for people to hit that other button, but it's annoying. FWIW, vimeo has great controls for this kind of thing.

----------

This sounds good, but its expensive...

Carbonate is $54 a year for unlimited data

Apples to oranges (no pun intended). Carbonite is a backup service, Dropbox is a sync service built around collaborating among multiple computers/devices. You could use Dropbox as a backup service, but you can't use Carbonite to do much more than backup, as far as I'm aware.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
But if you're already paying $9.99/month now, what does it matter?

I'm not going trust Apple's new cloud service. I'll use Google Drive (now maybe Dropbox) as my main with iCloud Drive as a backup until I know that Apple has this working properly. Cloud services has never been Apple's strong suit.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
But if you're already paying $9.99/month now, what does it matter?

I'm not going trust Apple's new cloud service. I'll use Google Drive (now maybe Dropbox) as my main with iCloud Drive as a backup until I know that Apple has this working properly. Cloud services has never been Apple's strong suit.
Well said. I've been through all the generations of Apple's cloud services and they just can never seem to get anything that fully works. I'll never trust Apple again in this area. They should stick with what they know best and leave the rest to the experts.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Well said. I've been through all the generations of Apple's cloud services and they just can never seem to get anything that fully works. I'll never trust Apple again in this area. They should stick with what they know best and leave the rest to the experts.

Hence why my iPhone is full of Google Apps...they simply do it better and it just works. :eek:

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011
I'm seeing the upgrade £10 cheaper via the Dropbox iOS app at £69. Anybody else?

This makes sense. Apple are likely waiting to:
(a) see what their competitors offer up to the release of iOS8/Yosemite;
(b) seeing how far along their data centres are and what they can handle on their current in-house/third-party storage facilities;
(c) if they released full pricing at WWDC then their competitors would know and move to undercut before iOS8/Yo release.

All sensible business reasons for announcing their higher storage price points at the last minute, while offering the lower plan's pricing as a teaser for decent pricing to be expected by their customers.

Yep true!

iOS app: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/dropbox/id327630330?mt=8
1 yr = £70 / 3 mths = £18 (thus £6 per 1 mth)

vs.

1 yr = £79 or 1 mth = £8 (thus £24 per 3 mths)

So the iOS app is both 11% cheaper for the yearly, and 25% on monthly (if erm, paid 3-mthly!).

Weird. Clearly a cock-up surely?! ...Or maybe a hook to catch the iOS/Apple users and keep them! ;)

Yep!

th_1c53329b3741b4b117e75b3bcca4aaac_zps554415c3.jpg

http://s3.photobucket.com/user/n1zz3r/media/1c53329b3741b4b117e75b3bcca4aaac_zps554415c3.jpg.html

I'm really tempted by that, but I'd still like to see what Apple offer with iCloud Drive.

Do you guys in the US/EU/ASIA/AU-NZ also have this weird pricing issue we have in the UK, where it's cheaper via the iOS app than the website?

I can't figure out why they'd do it just for us UK peeps...?

Last edited:

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
After reading the article yesterday, I checked my phone, but it still said 100GB; after going online to "upgrade my account" it now reads I have 1TB. It guess this is good since I was originally using my Dropbox to backup my pictures (I had the 500GB Pro account), but I found that just too expensive, so I deleted all my backups and went to the 100GB account. Now I guess I'll go back to uploading my photos. I do have their Packrat service... wondering now if I can just one-click restore that big folder?

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
Question time....! :D

I've been considering moving form my free Dropbox (total of 22.5GB thanks to various referrals and offers) to the 1TB/£69.99 per year, but...

I have the DB client installed on several machines:

• My MacBook Pro (which is my main machine).
  • My backup server (Windows machine).
  • My VM of Windows 7 on my MBP (just realised this-completely unnecessary!).
  • Another Windows laptop that I use occaisionally.

Now, if I move to a 1TB DB account, I don't have a 1TB drive in my MBP (it's an SSD), let alone 1TB of space to allow DB to fill it!

I'm sure I wouldn't use anything close to 1TB, but one of the things I'm going to do is put a shared folder in there for my Wife to put her stuff in too), but I'm clearly going to come unstuck when it starts to push everything down to my MBP and the other machines... :eek:

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Initial sync of a large amount of files may take a while, but after that, if changes are smaller, incremental changes, than it isn't a problem.

I started syncing my ~200GB music collection last night. It's still going, and it was estimating it would take about 24 hours. I currently have 25mbit/sec upload, which, if my calculations are correct, works out to about 270GB (gigabyte) a day, so that's about right. This is soon to be upgraded to 75mbit/sec for free (download is already 75mbit/sec).

I don't plan to sync my ~200GB music collection to my other machines, though, as they currently have smaller SSDes in them, but it'll be nice to be able to access it remotely if I need it.

Note that LAN syncing helps with syncing quite a bit. Though, with Dropbox the files need to be fully uploaded to their servers first before LAN syncing starts. And of course that only helps if your machines are on the same LAN.

Pretty cool, and now I finally know what that LAN Sync checkmark does!

OrganMusic

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2008
Chicago
Just had my PowerBook G4 out; dropbox prompted for an update and I am astonished to report the new version still works with PPC!

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I agree with you in principle, however as much as I've wanted to love OneDrive, I've found it to be exceptionally slow to upload in comparison and it still has the filesize limit of 2GB which is a showstopper for me.

In itself, OneDrive is a great deal but it just doesn't work for me.

Dropbox's software is lightweight, its syncing is fast, and its developer APIs are more widely used than any other cloud service.

I have free cloud accounts with Dropbox, Box, OneDrive, Amazon Cloud Drive (and iCloud if you count that), and Dropbox is integrated into the most third party iOS apps, so it's thus the most convenient cloud storage for me to export my docs to via all the apps I use.

As someone else mentioned, the lack of a limit on individual file sizes is great.

Microsoft is getting rid of the OneDrive file size limit. http://imore.com/microsoft-begins-drop-2-gb-file-size-limit-onedrive

kwren

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2012
maxes out upload bandwidth

When you say it maxes out your upload bandwidth, does that mean you can't do anything else while it's backing up your data? For how long?

So when will we see this show up on our account? Mine is still showing 100GB + the free storage I've earned (140GB total).

Well, it's supposed to work like Dropbox (more of a Drive), so anything you've set to sync, I presume, would be stored in the cloud. But aren't all your iTunes purchases already stored in the cloud? Or are movies not stored? I don't have many movies through iTunes.

Dropbox usually maxes out my upload bandwidth, and downloads are usually pretty fast too. Make sure you change Dropbox network settings to "don't limit" for maximum speed.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
When you say it maxes out your upload bandwidth, does that mean you can't do anything else while it's backing up your data? For how long?

I've never had it "take over" my bandwidth, if that's what you mean. What DOES take over my bandwidth is YouTube uploads. I can't do anything else it's ridiculous. But Dropbox has never had a problem like that. My line is 100 down 10 up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.