Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jennyp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
On macOS 10.13.6 (17G3025)

If I type "iCloud~com~getdropbox~Dropbox" into the "EasyFind" app, it finds a folder called "Dropbox" which is inside the iCloud documents folder. It appears invisible in the iCloud Finder folder, but double-clicking on the entry in "EasyFind" opens it up.

It appears to be an 'iCloud for Dropbox' folder, which seems weird. It has the usual appearance of an iCloud folder for which you haven't yet stored any documents. It shows a cloud graphic with the Dropbox logo on top, and underneath that, the usual boilerplate text for these empty iCloud folders, tailored for Dropbox:

"iCloud for Dropbox ... You can move your existing documents to iCloud by dragging them here from the Finder or other apps"

... and then a link "Learn More About iCloud".

But what is a Dropbox folder doing in the iCloud folder?

Am I missing something simple here?

jennyp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
Actually, why does Dropbox even appear as an option in System Preferences > iCloud > iCloud Drive > Options... ?

Does this imply that it's possible to sync via iCloud and via Dropbox at the same time?

I've tried to Google the answer to this but with no luck. Somebody must know!

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
Actually, why does Dropbox even appear as an option in System Preferences > iCloud > iCloud Drive > Options... ?

Does this imply that it's possible to sync via iCloud and via Dropbox at the same time?

I've tried to Google the answer to this but with no luck. Somebody must know!
I'm curious too.

I see others at Dropbox have asked but the help agent "Daphne" ghosted them.

Anyone?? What does clicking or un-selecting the bottom Dropbox option do? I can't believe it's that hard to verify (I have not been able to, and I tried hard short of calling/texting Apple support).

Screen Shot 2022-02-01 at 5.21.06 PM.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.