Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trfc54

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 12, 2019
I have an iPhone 12 mini on 14.4.2 I believe, and around my house I am getting very bad call quality and cellular connectivity issues. I live in a fairly populated area that has quite good connectivity otherwise with Tmobile.

The other people in my family plan have updated to 14.5, 14.6, it doesn't seem to matter, they are also encountering the same issues. Interestingly enough, when the phone switches to 5g, cellular connection is very speedy and good overall, but switching back to LTE seems to kill it.

Wifi calling is enabled but even with this, sometimes on a call the person on the other line says they cannot hear me (even though I can usually hear them).

I am using an e-sim and so are the other people I mentioned so maybe this has something to do with it, but I was just curious if anyone else is having call quality or cellular issues as well..

Reactions: imlynxy

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Shouldn't you take this up with your carrier? This is likely their issue. If you have an Android handset, you can use Net Monster app to see the signal strength when it is LTE and 5G. Likely, the 5G is stronger than LTE at your location.

Reactions: Apple_Robert

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I have an iPhone 12 mini on 14.4.2 I believe, and around my house I am getting very bad call quality and cellular connectivity issues. I live in a fairly populated area that has quite good connectivity otherwise with Tmobile.

The other people in my family plan have updated to 14.5, 14.6, it doesn't seem to matter, they are also encountering the same issues. Interestingly enough, when the phone switches to 5g, cellular connection is very speedy and good overall, but switching back to LTE seems to kill it.

Wifi calling is enabled but even with this, sometimes on a call the person on the other line says they cannot hear me (even though I can usually hear them).

I am using an e-sim and so are the other people I mentioned so maybe this has something to do with it, but I was just curious if anyone else is having call quality or cellular issues as well..
You need to contact T-Mobile about this. What you described is not an iPhone problem that I can see.

trfc54

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 12, 2019
You need to contact T-Mobile about this. What you described is not an iPhone problem that I can see.
I have done that and they said the connection is perfect in my area from what they can tell.

That's why I wanted to ask here, as I've seen some other user accounts on reddit that have mentioned similar experiences.

trfc54

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 12, 2019
Shouldn't you take this up with your carrier? This is likely their issue. If you have an Android handset, you can use Net Monster app to see the signal strength when it is LTE and 5G. Likely, the 5G is stronger than LTE at your location.

It could be, but this was just a more recent occurrence that only started a few weeks ago. Prior to that my iPhone 12 mini has had fantastic connection everywhere, LTE or 5g.

Also, I can't seem to force 5g even when turning it on to always on in settings. It just depends how strong/available the signal is I guess.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I have done that and they said the connection is perfect in my area from what they can tell.

That's why I wanted to ask here, as I've seen some other user accounts on reddit that have mentioned similar experiences.
Customer service reps make claims at times that aren't always 100% accurate or true. You may need to get your service ticket escalated.

Reactions: max2 and firedept

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
As already stated this is a carrier issue. Reps only know what they learn on the job. They are not trained techs so their response is not always spot on.

Reactions: max2

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
It could be, but this was just a more recent occurrence that only started a few weeks ago. Prior to that my iPhone 12 mini has had fantastic connection everywhere, LTE or 5g.

Also, I can't seem to force 5g even when turning it on to always on in settings. It just depends how strong/available the signal is I guess.

Eh? 12 mini had no problem whatsoever? Is there another device you could check with?

trfc54

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 12, 2019
Eh? 12 mini had no problem whatsoever? Is there another device you could check with?

Yes, I checked with another iPhone 12 and it seemed to exhibit the same behavior. I'll escalate it with Tmobile and see what they can tell me, tried reseting network settings and no luck either.

Was just curious if anyone was seeing anything similar with IOS 14 (although it does appear that it is moreso a carrier issue than a hardware/operating system issue).

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Yes, I checked with another iPhone 12 and it seemed to exhibit the same behavior. I'll escalate it with Tmobile and see what they can tell me, tried reseting network settings and no luck either.

Was just curious if anyone was seeing anything similar with IOS 14 (although it does appear that it is moreso a carrier issue than a hardware/operating system issue).

Ah, if the behaviour is similar, the network is likely at fault. In any case, networks can function in a transient way frequently. One second they’re stable with great speeds, another you’re down in half. It’s possible, depending on how stretched the resources are on the tower.

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
It’s interesting you bring this up. On iOS 14.5/14.5.1 — I don’t remember if the problem stretched back to 14.4.x — I had dropped calls and several that went straight to voicemail, no rings or missed call indications. I use Mint, which uses T-Mobile’s network, and my signal strength/quality wasn’t low, at least according to iOS’s bars. I can’t recall an instance yet since upgrading to 14.6. Could it have been a coincidental period of network congestion or other problems? Maybe. At the time, I was assuming (because of other complaints on the forums) Apple lacked general QC on iOS 14.5, etc while focusing on other bugs/vulnerabilities.

Reactions: trfc54

gren81

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2013

Yes, I have experienced all of it with all iOS 14.x versions. I have many new friends at both Apple and my carrier, legacy Sprint/T-Mo.

Bottom line:
1. Request replacement [TNX] SIM card (which has seemed to help) both my iPhone X and my brother-in-law’s iPhone 12 Pro Max.
2. Work with carrier to have your profile updated.

FWIW: Apple and Geek Squad diagnostics found no hardware issues with my IPhone X but did not perform the intense cellular test since T-Mo integration has been the likely culprit for me. My wife’s iPhone 8 worked fine -both w/o B71.

trfc54

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 12, 2019
Yes, I have experienced all of it with all iOS 14.x versions. I have many new friends at both Apple and my carrier, legacy Sprint/T-Mo.

Bottom line:
1. Request replacement [TNX] SIM card (which has seemed to help) both my iPhone X and my brother-in-law’s iPhone 12 Pro Max.
2. Work with carrier to have your profile updated.

FWIW: Apple and Geek Squad diagnostics found no hardware issues with my IPhone X but did not perform the intense cellular test since T-Mo integration has been the likely culprit for me. My wife’s iPhone 8 worked fine -both w/o B71.

The support guy actually did suggest a sim replacement. However, since I'm using an E-sim, I guess I'll first have to transition back to a physical sim, and then migrate back to the e-sim to complete the cycle.

It is just weird though that, when I am able to obtain a 5g connection, I see none of these issues (dropped calls, muted call input from my phone, no data connection).

imlynxy

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
I experienced plenty of dropped calls with T-mobile, no service, poor VoWiFi quality and delayed SMS. Contacted CS multiple time for the last 2-3 months : polite, but unfortunately useless.

I tried to change eSIM to a regilar SIM. I tried brand new iphone 12 pro. I even tried to go with Samsung S21. Nothing above helped: dropped calls, delayed sms and service reset ( 5-6 seconds of no service on the phone in a good covered area)

Recently went back to At&t and have had zero dropped calls since I switched.
In addition I have no longer SMS delays. No service reset. Youtube buffering and streaming radio frequent disconnections went away.
Edit: Still have not much data on VoWiFi quality to report. It works, but doesn’t kick in often ( Att has vowifi only at low cell connection) . I can force it with airplane mode, but in 5-10 minute goes away.

Must admit my speed dropped from 80-200 to 25-60 at my place.

With my professional discount I have to pay $25 more month for 4 lines on Elite plan. (300 per year increase)
I’m going to miss free international roaming and 300 dollars per year.

This is my only experience and I do not work for Att, T-mobile or any of their affiliates.

trfc54

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 12, 2019
Well, TMobile said they are sending me an lte signal booster, but otherwise they couldn't give an explanation as to what is happening.

Now I have to leave 5g on all the time to recieve data and make calls lol.

Steve Adams

Suspended
Dec 16, 2020

I have been having similar issues. I am not on t mobile and had my sim card replaced as well. But My 11 has been acting up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.