Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

silverback66

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2005
CO
My film has dropped several frames while I've been editing and it bothers me to have the sudden jumps in the clips. How can I get back all of the frames so I can export this and burn a copy without skips? Thanks.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Dropping frames means that computer can't play back the video in real time. The frames are still there, it's just they get skipped over. If you've rendered everything out and you are still dropping frames then that could be a sign something is wrong w/yer Mac and would make recording back to MiniDV a problem. But if you just want to burn a disc it's a non-issue because making a DVD doesn't require you machine to playback the footage in flawlessly in real time.

Lethal

uaaerospace

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2005
Alabama
If the frames are dropped during capture, then you will need to recapture the clip. If it is a problem that happens often, make sure you are doing no other tasks while capturing. Sometimes if I open an application while capturing I will get dropped frames. Just leave the computer idle while it captures.

silverback66

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2005
CO
I've exported the movie out and I still have the dropped frames but when I check the source footage there's no dropped frames whatsoever. Any ideas about what I can do?

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
silverback66 said:
I've exported the movie out and I still have the dropped frames but when I check the source footage there's no dropped frames whatsoever. Any ideas about what I can do?

Now, that's strange. I try trashing preferences and repairing permissions. If that doesn't work start a new project and import a clip from your current project into the new project to see if you can recreate the problem.

Lethal

TheMonarch

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2005
Bay Area
silverback66 said:

By source footage you meant the tape right?

Recapture. The frames were likely dropped during capture.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
What system are you on and what editing program?

It could be something as simple as clearing out your render cache and re-rendering.

silverback66

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2005
CO
I mean there's no dropped frames in the footage I captured from the tape that is already on the hard drive. I'm using an imac G5 and Final Cut Pro. I'm a bit hesitant to trash the render files and re-render it because it'll take two days and I'm screening this on Saturday.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Try forcing a render on the affected clip in the timeline. Turning off and on the clip's filter or doing a slip one way and back again will force a re-render.

You might also want to export out a flattened movie, and play it back in FCP to tape if it's a frame dropping issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.