Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dhebi101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2018
Belleair Beach
So... Am I LUCKY? or what???
This is a story for people who feel that things are hopeless when they drop their computer and the display goes out!!

First off, my computer was stolen.
I got it back.
That is another story.

THEN.... the charger port went off the rails, so, I found a guy to change it out for 90 bucks including the part. WELL... when he was fixing it, he did something wrong, and messed up the motherboard.
He was a pro...he replaced the motherboard and charger port and still only charged me the 90 bucks. Top notch guy.

After about 2 weeks... I was taking the computer to the printer to print something. I stepped over my yellow lab and for whatever reason, she decided to GET UP at that same moment...so, she tripped me. Both me AND my computer took a hard fall. CRASHHHHHH!!

OMG! I freaked out. My computer hit very very HARD on a tile floor, and worse than that... NO DISPLAY.
I could hear it boot up...and the keyboard lit up...but, darn it, no display.
I'm not gonna lie, I cried for a second.
But, I sucked it up. Took the bad news, and tried to figure out what to do.

I Googled and saw that I could try to use the computer with an attached monitor IF it would actually work. I went to Treasure Island and picked up a small flat screen tv that my friend had and we hooked it up to the laptop and YAY.... it worked!

It is NOT the same of course, but, you know, I can't be too picky about it. I was told it would cost a MINIMUM of 400 to 600 to fix, and I just couldn't afford it. So, even though it was not ideal, I was ok with using the tv as a monitor.

Well, I used the hooked up computer & tv, using it overnight, it was fine and went well, even though a bit awkward.

This morning, I was doing something, and OMG...guess what? My SCREEN CAME ON!!!! YES! What the heck!!! It was like it went into a coma and then came out of it! CRAZY! I was scared to death to move it at all, thinking it was going to go "out" again, but I have used it ALLLL day and it is still ON! I am still afraid to close it or log off, and turn back on again, but, I will have to eventually. But, WHY did that happen? Am I just the luckiest person ever or what?

I am grateful to have it back, even if it ends up being just for a short while.
But, I hope it lasts!
This story is for people in the same boat who thought the screen would never come back on!
It just MIGHT!

Reactions: Natzoo and SnacksGU

Porkchop Sandwich

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2017
Have heart, you're not alone.

Bought a spankin' new loaded-up late 2013 mbp, left it out on the front porch table while building a new awning on my porch that wasn't yet covered. Rained overnight (wasn't supposed to rain) computer was toast. Bought a mid 2014 to replace it - favorite computer I've had and I'm writing on it now. Can't turn it off b/c it's gone squirrelly on me and doesn't like to power back up. (heavily, heavily used and just showing its age)...I intend to have it fixed no matter the cost. Love the computer and don't care it's a waste of $$.

Next up - 2016 loaded up mbp (15") - had it on a table charging..my German Shorthair Pointer got happy feet and came around the bend b/c my lovely bride arrived home. He caught the charging cable and threw the computer across the room. Damn you Apple - why'd you drop the mag-safe????

Next up - 2017 loaded up mbp (15"). Setting atop a shelf, about 5' off the ground charging, in my shop, concrete floor. Covered it up w/a sheet to do some painting. Asked aforementioned lovely bride to hand me the sheet but forgot to tell her there was a computer under there. She grabbed the sheet and down came the computer top-down on the concrete, HARD. No mag-safe strikes again!! Astonishingly, aside a couple bruises, computer's perfectly fine..this was about a month after I bought the computer and until recently it's been a workhorse.

Next up - yet another 2107 loaded up mbp (15") - perfect and no incidents but it's suddenly gone buggy on me and I can't figure out why. Apple wants the standard 800+ to send it out.

I'm buying a desktop on the 30th. I need a break from laptops for awhile.

Reactions: Dhebi101

Dhebi101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2018
Belleair Beach
Have heart, you're not alone.

Bought a spankin' new loaded-up late 2013 mbp, left it out on the front porch table while building a new awning on my porch that wasn't yet covered. Rained overnight (wasn't supposed to rain) computer was toast. Bought a mid 2014 to replace it - favorite computer I've had and I'm writing on it now. Can't turn it off b/c it's gone squirrelly on me and doesn't like to power back up. (heavily, heavily used and just showing its age)...I intend to have it fixed no matter the cost. Love the computer and don't care it's a waste of $$.

Next up - 2016 loaded up mbp (15") - had it on a table charging..my German Shorthair Pointer got happy feet and came around the bend b/c my lovely bride arrived home. He caught the charging cable and threw the computer across the room. Damn you Apple - why'd you drop the mag-safe????

Next up - 2017 loaded up mbp (15"). Setting atop a shelf, about 5' off the ground charging, in my shop, concrete floor. Covered it up w/a sheet to do some painting. Asked aforementioned lovely bride to hand me the sheet but forgot to tell her there was a computer under there. She grabbed the sheet and down came the computer top-down on the concrete, HARD. No mag-safe strikes again!! Astonishingly, aside a couple bruises, computer's perfectly fine..this was about a month after I bought the computer and until recently it's been a workhorse.

Next up - yet another 2107 loaded up mbp (15") - perfect and no incidents but it's suddenly gone buggy on me and I can't figure out why. Apple wants the standard 800+ to send it out.

I'm buying a desktop on the 30th. I need a break from laptops for awhile.
[doublepost=1540607164][/doublepost]Ohhh snap! You love the mbp's don't you! DANG!

One other time, my brother came over and we were having a "business" meeting... He spilled his adult beverage and even though we moved at the speed of light to save it— it seeped underneath my brand new macbook pro 2012 laptop! It set off some kind of loud alarm sound, and went dark. Never worked again.

Took it to Geek Squad and they wanted 1000 to send it out but said it was probably toast. I still have that, maybe I should try it and see if it will magically come out of its coma like the other one did!! HA!

maxgts

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2013
Sunnyvale, CA
[doublepost=1540607164][/doublepost]Ohhh snap! You love the mbp's don't you! DANG!

One other time, my brother came over and we were having a "business" meeting... He spilled his adult beverage and even though we moved at the speed of light to save it— it seeped underneath my brand new macbook pro 2012 laptop! It set off some kind of loud alarm sound, and went dark. Never worked again.

Took it to Geek Squad and they wanted 1000 to send it out but said it was probably toast. I still have that, maybe I should try it and see if it will magically come out of its coma like the other one did!! HA!

Send it to Rossman Repair Group in NYC. He’ll fix it.

Porkchop Sandwich

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2017

Maybe you're a candidate for a desktop too..lol. Once I take that action, it should relieve my heavy use of a laptop so the odds should swing to my favor..lol. Got a 18 13"- unbelievably nice computer but alas, the once again aforementioned lovely bride seems to have swiped it from me so..

I was able to salvage the ssd from the 2013 mbp I lost and I put it into an external enclosure and now use it for back-up & it makes for a really fast external capable to run an os with vigor. Did the 2012 you lost have an ssd? (I can't recall when the mbp's went ssd) Maybe that'd help ease your pain over that one??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.