Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elkoreano

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2003
yeap, i opened my trunk and the thing fell right to the asphalt..

it powers up and works okay.. but sometimes, with movement of the computer, it'll crash.. and other times, when i'm traveling with it, and try and wake it, it won't.. all i hear is the fan go on for 2 seconds, the hard drive tries to wake, then goes back to sleep..

does anyone have a clue as to what could be the cause? whenever it happens, i have to open up the computer, kind of shakes things around (don't really know what to do), put it back together, and it works.. but i just can't move this thing anywhere off my desk.. something could be loose but i haven't a clue as to what it could be..

thanks a lot in advance.

elkoreano

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2003
yes sir.. it was.. but to make sure, i decided to take it out and put it back it.. crossing my fingers.. also ran disk utility and got this report:

Verifying volume “MacDrive60”
Checking HFS Plus volume.
Checking Extents Overflow file.
Checking Catalog file.
Checking multi-linked files.
Checking Catalog hierarchy.
Nesting of folders has exceeded the recommended limit of 100
Checking Extended Attributes file.
Checking volume bitmap.
Checking volume information.
The volume MacDrive60 appears to be OK.
Mounting Disk

1 HFS volume checked
Volume passed verification
Volume needs repair

i think its saying it needs repair cuz of the "nesting of folders has exceed the recommended limit of 100".. whatever htat means..

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
It's possible the drive has suffered physical damage as a result of the drop. You should get a hold of a program that can perform a full surface scan of your hard drive, such as TechTool or Disk Warrior. TechTool Deluxe is included with the Applecare extended warranty, if you've purchased it.

elkoreano

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2003
so after reinstalling the ram, running disk utility for hd problems, still same problem.. i moved it yesterday after it was running fine.. put it to sleep, closed the lid, then went off.. when i tried to open and wake it, the white blinking light by the lid went off and didn't want to start.. this time, the hd didn't even start to spin.. just no action..

BUT when i got home, plugged it into the power cable, it worked.. so could this be some battery power cable problem? does anyone know where it is located or how to check to see if it's loose or not?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.