Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mark200789

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 3, 2015
Knocked over my X this week (in a case) and when I turned it on there was a thick, super bright, cyan bar running through it. I did some reading and some folks with a similar issue said it could be a poorly attached cable. I took the phone apart and undid and redid their cables. The problem remained. Now I don’t know what the fault is and what to replace. Is it the screen? Is the the logic/graphics board? Running screen mirroring on my Apple TV doesn’t show the error. But maybe the mirror output is a different chip than the screen output? I don’t want to spend too much on fixing this, but also don’t want to buy a new phone until September. I mean, we’re nearly there, right?
7686C7FD-AFBE-4AE6-BB70-E27AF9587EB9.jpeg

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Let a shop take a look at it. It's rare that a display connector becomes loose after a drop. In many cases, solder joints are outright broken. It's not something that can be repaired without skills, knowledge, and tools.

Mark200789

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 3, 2015
Let a shop take a look at it. It's rare that a display connector becomes loose after a drop. In many cases, solder joints are outright broken. It's not something that can be repaired without skills, knowledge, and tools.
I have all of the above. There’s nothing in this device I wouldn’t be able to replace.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
these phones are not as sturdy as macbooks, but taking apart the phone is good on your part.
which you know is a hardware-logic board issue.
you could use an app to forward calls to a laptop until the new ones are released in early September.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Buy a used old iPhone and use it until the new phone 13 comes out, then buy the 13 and sell the old one. Or better yet keep the old one too- because everyone should have a functional backup iPhone anyway

jr866gooner

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Grab a third party screen to test. It looks like screen especially when the display outputs to another screen.

I wouldn’t know 100% though sorry.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
I have all of the above. There’s nothing in this device I wouldn’t be able to replace.

If true, then start by downloading Refox and use the schematics to diagnose the issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.