Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SayCheese

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 14, 2007
Oxfordshire, England
My XS Max keeps dropping the WiFi connection while I'm sat in my office at work. It only drops the connection when the screen goes off and it locks. While I've got the screen open, it maintains the connection.
This is a relatively new development. I can sit my iPad next to the iPhone and the iPad maintains the connection when the screen goes off.

I've tried a soft reset and that's made no difference. Any suggestions please?

BuggyGT

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2019
It sounds like it is similar to the thread below but unfortunately I am not sure if we ever got an answer, my only suggestion was to perhaps delete any VPN apps if you might have any installed.

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
My XS Max keeps dropping the WiFi connection while I'm sat in my office at work. It only drops the connection when the screen goes off and it locks. While I've got the screen open, it maintains the connection.
This is a relatively new development. I can sit my iPad next to the iPhone and the iPad maintains the connection when the screen goes off.

I've tried a soft reset and that's made no difference. Any suggestions please?

I had the exact same problem with my 11 Pro Max, but it was related to my router. I recently bought a Netgear Nighthawk that does this “smart connect” thing where it switches between radio bands (5Ghz or 2.4Ghz) based on which devices are connecting to it. It would happen frequently, particularly when I would lock the screen.

Is this only happening at work? Do you know if maybe the router there is doing something similar with radio bands?

GP-SE

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2013
Last night I updated to iOS 13.6 and it seems to have fixed the issue.. for now. Let's hope it stays fixed.
I was the OP in the other thread, I had the exact same issue my 11 Pro MAX, and so far with 13.6 it seems to be fixed!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.