Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TinaBelcher

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2017
I went from 12 Pro Max to 14 Pro Max this January, and honestly, I regret the buy.

It's damn heavy and the lenses protrude too much. Not even a thick case can make it flush anymore.
It was easier to deal with during winter. I would keep it inside my jacket's chest pocket.
I don't have that option during summer. It's pulling on my jeans inside my pockets.
It also slips out of my shorts/sweatpants. Especially when I step into or outside my car.
This is my third crack on my screen protector and my leather Ink case has been destroyed.
I'm so scared, cause it's only a matter of time before the large lenses cracks.
I also do social work, so I'm always on the go, and carry a business phone with me, too. So, it's bulk on bulk. I think most of my drops have been during work. I know I should leave my personal phone at the office, but most of us need it in case of an emergency or fear of theft.

I love the Max screen, but I'm debating if I should get the smaller 15 Pro this fall...
I've thought about getting the 13 Mini. But I need a good battery and camera. Also, USB-C is coming.
Is anyone else in the same boat? I think the last small phone I had was the original iPhone X.

I saw these Casetify cases with traps on. I'm gonna look like a clown walking around like it's a purse. No, thank you 🤣

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
Another option, if possible, is buying an iPhone that still has a physical SIM tray and have one line using e-sim and the other using p-sim. That’s what I do with my work phone.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I went from 12 Pro Max to 14 Pro Max this January, and honestly, I regret the buy.

It's damn heavy and the lenses protrude too much. Not even a thick case can make it flush anymore.
It was easier to deal with during winter. I would keep it inside my jacket's chest pocket.
I don't have that option during summer. It's pulling on my jeans inside my pockets.
It also slips out of my shorts/sweatpants. Especially when I step into or outside my car.
This is my third crack on my screen protector and my leather Ink case has been destroyed.
I'm so scared, cause it's only a matter of time before the large lenses cracks.
I also do social work, so I'm always on the go, and carry a business phone with me, too. So, it's bulk on bulk. I think most of my drops have been during work. I know I should leave my personal phone at the office, but most of us need it in case of an emergency or fear of theft.

I love the Max screen, but I'm debating if I should get the smaller 15 Pro this fall...
I've thought about getting the 13 Mini. But I need a good battery and camera. Also, USB-C is coming.
Is anyone else in the same boat? I think the last small phone I had was the original iPhone X.

I saw these Casetify cases with traps on. I'm gonna look like a clown walking around like it's a purse. No, thank you 🤣
The iPhone 6+, which I used to own, is the exact same weight as the iPhone 14 Pro Max. Interesting that it pulls on your jeans. I never had that problem with my 6+ and I don't have it now with my 6s+ or my 11 Pro Max.

When I get in the car my phone is in my hand already. Because it's going into a cup holder in the center console. I don't ever sit on my phones or keep them in pants pockets when I go to sit down. Sweatpants and getting in/out of cars with a phone in your pocket is a particularly dangerous thing. Hence my phone is in my hand getting in or out of a car - not in a pocket.

I don't use cases.

So, no. Not in the same boat. We aren't even on the same ocean.

TinaBelcher

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2017
Another option, if possible, is buying an iPhone that still has a physical SIM tray and have one line using e-sim and the other using p-sim. That’s what I do with my work phone.
The company I work for monitors our working phones. We're given a SIM card and a cheap Samsung phone. Once we set up our phone and activate it, it will force install a bunch of apps. So I can't put the SIM card into my personal phone as a 2-in-1 solution unless I want my personal phone to be monetized by the company.

TinaBelcher

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2017
The iPhone 6+, which I used to own, is the exact same weight as the iPhone 14 Pro Max. Interesting that it pulls on your jeans. I never had that problem with my 6+ and I don't have it now with my 6s+ or my 11 Pro Max.

When I get in the car my phone is in my hand already. Because it's going into a cup holder in the center console. I don't ever sit on my phones or keep them in pants pockets when I go to sit down. Sweatpants and getting in/out of cars with a phone in your pocket is a particularly dangerous thing. Hence my phone is in my hand getting in or out of a car - not in a pocket.

I don't use cases.

🤣🤣🤣 I'm drowning in the ocean, you're sitting by the pool.

I do sometimes also have it in my hand, but imagine me holding my personal and working phone together, also my car keys as I'm getting out. Mess. It also slipped out that way.

Reactions: subjonas

minimo3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010

I don't use cases.

iPhone 6+: 172g
iPhone 14 Pro Max: 240g

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
My Pro Max is too big. While I love the battery life, it hurts my pinky if I use it for several hours or more (and I'm a big guy). And yes, the phone will drop shorts if I put it in the back pocket of my shorts. Even my "athletic" stretchy jeans - it will drop those unless I have a tight belt on.

I've gone back to a Pro for the 13 and the 14. And I think I will again for my next phone. But I just got the 14 Pro Max recently so it could be awhile.

I find putting on a Totallee or Pitaka case on helps a lot with the "too big" feeling in hand but doesn't address the brick feeling in the shorts/pants. lol.

Very torn because while I like the size of the Pro, the battery life and screen on the Pro Max are amazing.

Apple Leather cases - I stopped buying them because you sneeze and they tear. Check out https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/leather-cases-patina-proud-photos.2091430/page-533 for some nice alternatives.

Keep in mind, what made me go back to the Pro Max was the battery. I'd be out on an all day hike and hit 50% battery by noon, whereas the Pro Max - >= 70% by end of day. <shrug>. (I found I used my Pro more because I liked the size so that is a factor in battery usage too - but when it came to hour long reading sessions, I wanted the Pro Max).

okkibs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2022
I only carried the Pro Max with my backpack, it didn't even fit half the pockets of my clothing. One of the reasons I reversed course from as big as possible to the smallest I can get away with in terms of display size. It's a trade-off, I use the smaller one less, certainly can't look at the display for hours.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

TinaBelcher

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2017
My Pro Max is too big. While I love the battery life, it hurts my pinky if I use it for several hours or more (and I'm a big guy). And yes, the phone will drop shorts if I put it in the back pocket of my shorts. Even my "athletic" stretchy jeans - it will drop those unless I have a tight belt on.

I've gone back to a Pro for the 13 and the 14. And I think I will again for my next phone. But I just got the 14 Pro Max recently so it could be awhile.

I find putting on a Totallee or Pitaka case on helps a lot with the "too big" feeling in hand but doesn't address the brick feeling in the shorts/pants. lol.

Very torn because while I like the size of the Pro, the battery life and screen on the Pro Max are amazing.

Apple Leather cases - I stopped buying them because you sneeze and they tear. Check out https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/leather-cases-patina-proud-photos.2091430/page-533 for some nice alternatives.

Keep in mind, what made me go back to the Pro Max was the battery. I'd be out on an all day hike and hit 50% battery by noon, whereas the Pro Max - >= 70% by end of day. <shrug>. (I found I used my Pro more because I liked the size so that is a factor in battery usage too - but when it came to hour long reading sessions, I wanted the Pro Max).
Yeah, the Max has amazing battery. Unless there's a PokéMon community day, I charge it every other night. I asumed the small Pro had the same amount of battery life because the screen was smaller?

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Yeah, the Max has amazing battery. Unless there's a PokéMon community day, I charge it every other night. I asumed the small Pro had the same amount of battery life because the screen was smaller?
Well, just to clarify, I go hiking / birding about once a month or so. So, when I had the Pro, and I went out birding, I hit 50% battery by lunch time and I was looking for a charge to keep the phone from running out before the end of the day. But when I had the Pro Max, I could do an all day event and still be >=70% with similar usage.

So my experience, the Pro Max, in heavy usage, has significantly more battery life especially if you're hiking around taking pictures in areas with no reception. lol

TinaBelcher

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2017
Well, just to clarify, I go hiking / birding about once a month or so. So, when I had the Pro, and I went out birding, I hit 50% battery by lunch time and I was looking for a charge to keep the phone from running out before the end of the day. But when I had the Pro Max, I could do an all day event and still be >=70% with similar usage.

So my experience, the Pro Max, in heavy usage, has significantly more battery life especially if you're hiking around taking pictures in areas with no reception. lol
What do you use it for when hiking?
I take walks like 3-4 times a week. I walk for about 2-3 hours. I listen to music or podcast while doing so. Lightly catch PokéMon and take a couple of pics, if the weather and scenery look good.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
What do you use it for when hiking?
I take walks like 3-4 times a week. I walk for about 2-3 hours. I listen to music or podcast while doing so. Lightly catch PokéMon and take a couple of pics, if the weather and scenery look good.
Taking photos, maybe a few videos. Often times we're hiking in places without reception, which seems to hit the smaller phone much harder.

I'm a hobbyist photographer so I'll do 20-30 landscape/people/bird shots - maybe a few videos (<2-3mins).

So when I used the Pro for about a month, it shocked me how much less battery life I had to play with when doing things that kept me away from a charger for most of the day.

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
My solution would be to use a purse (or man bag, whatever you want to call them). I already do carry one.

My husband, on the other hand, carries his wallet, keys, phones, and any thing else loose in his various pockets so when he needs to switch to other pants or whatever, it's like a whole migration of stuff. Why not use a handbag? I've asked him and there's never given a good rationale, and I always then roll my eyes. LOL.

My purse has my mask, phone, keys, wallet, chapstick, etc. etc. A change of outfit does not require me to migrate these things from one pant to the other!

I certainly love the better camera of the Pro Max, but I can do without the big screen as it's not necessary (for me) for a phone.

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
My solution would be to use a purse (or man bag, whatever you want to call them). I already do carry one.

My husband, on the other hand, carries his wallet, keys, phones, and any thing else loose in his various pockets so when he needs to switch to other pants or whatever, it's like a whole migration of stuff. Why not use a handbag? I've asked him and there's never given a good rationale, and I always then roll my eyes. LOL.

My purse has my mask, phone, keys, wallet, chapstick, etc. etc. A change of outfit does not require me to migrate these things from one pant to the other!

I certainly love the better camera of the Pro Max, but I can do without the big screen as it's not necessary (for me) for a phone.
When I was 16 (36 years ago) I 'lost' my wallet in the school bathroom. A week later, after replacing my driver's license, and some other stuff I found it where I'd left it. This and a couple years of locking myself out of my own car (because I forgot my keys inside) led me to forcing myself to put my stuff in one spot.

Wallet, keys, small items and phone go in ONE spot. Period. Keys are attached to a clip, which if I do not register connecting to a belt loop when I exit the car causes me NOT to lock the door.

So, it doesn't matter what shorts, jeans, whatever I am wearing, all my stuff is laid down in one spot.

My wife, however, has your husband's problem. I do not know how many times there has been a search for her wallet, her keys, her glasses or anything else she's told herself 'I'm laying this down here so it's in a safe place' and then forgets about.

In the past six months I've had to use Find My twice to locate her phone, which she buried IN THE SAME SPOT TWICE, under the covers of the bed. We've been married almost 26 years now and she still refuses to leave things in one place.

I totally get your pain.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011

You've probably heard me explain it before - but I'm either in a pair of Dickies carpenter shorts or Dickie's carpenter pants. With a belt. If I'm wearing something else it means I'm at home. :)

I hear you on the pinky deal though, only with me that's my iPad. That's the only device I use like everyone else uses their phone and only for an hour or two at night. Otherwise, I'm in front of a computer.

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
When I was 16 (36 years ago) I 'lost' my wallet in the school bathroom. A week later, after replacing my driver's license, and some other stuff I found it where I'd left it. This and a couple years of locking myself out of my own car (because I forgot my keys inside) led me to forcing myself to put my stuff in one spot.
Exactly. One spot. My purse is exactly that thing that puts everything in one spot and I can just pick up that thing — the purse — and go.

Sometimes, my husband even asks me to carry his mask for him because he has nowhere to hold it while not using it. Fine. But it’s so much more convenient just it have everything you need in a bag that you carry everywhere.

Reactions: eyoungren

stanza.richi

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2019
Italy
It's pulling on my jeans inside my pockets.

Larger pockets or a pursue? Or try to manage it in a different way?

I think most of my drops have been during work.

The same: put and use it in a safe setting.

I rock my iPhone 14 Pro Max naked most of the time: running, walking with my dog, playing with my child, working in hospital (neurosurgeon).

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007

I keep my phone in my shirt pocket summer and winter with no problems except a rare ejection when bending over. When I buy shirts check that the pockets are big enough. Definitely avoid putting in pants pockets due to the additional stresses on the phone that those locations entail.

Hairyg33k

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2020
Hi !

Just my 2 cents... I own a Pixel 7 and not an iPhone, but I faced this dilemna with the summer... Where should I put my phone ?

I don't like having my phone in my shorts / pants pocket because :
- Sometimes my pockets are too tight and
- I am not feeling comfortable when weather is hot and my phone is in my pocket touching my lap...
I have a backpack but I prefer having my phone "at hand".

I've just bought a Ringke case (with holes on both sides) and a Ringke neck lanyard... I'll try this as it's the first time I'm using it.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
I’ve dropped my 13 PM a lot both in public and at home. A few weeks ago I was paying for a round of drinks at a club bar and my 13 PM fell out of my hand as I was pulling it out (as I was activating Apple Pay), lol, luckily it is in a thick case and had a screen protector on.

I love the size of the 13 PM/14 PM but they both could do with a reduction in their sheer heft. Looking forward to seeing what Apple do with the 15 Pro Max though I get the feeling it will probably have similar dimensions and weight it 13PM/14PM with even larger cameras, lol.

Reactions: msackey
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.