Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sony or Minolta or other

• Sony cybershot

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Minolta

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DavidCL23

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2001
NJ
Is the sony cybershot dsc-f707 the best camera for my mac? I know it is compatible with osx, and the images seem superb plus I've seen it sell for $760 on ebay, and I was wondering if this was the best camera to get. I am also looking at the minolta dimage 7 (roughly $200 cheaper on ebay then the sony), but I heard the battery life is pittiful and not so mac friendly. Any and all advice/comments is greatly appreciated. I am willing to pay upto $1500 for a digital camera, so if you can come up with more expensive digital solutions that are reasonable, please post them.

DavidCL23

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2001
NJ
thanks, but I am more interested in knowing if I should purchase the minolta or not, not where I should purchase it from, sorry for the confussion.

dualburn001

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2002
ohhh well from my personal experiences the minolta is a good 5 megapixel camera and at $700 it's a nice deal as well, but if you're willing to spend up to 1500 go for something more advanced

DavidCL23

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2001
NJ
thanks, I think I will pass on the minolta b/c my friend has one and he can only shoot 20-30 pictures before he has to replace the batterys, it may be his camera is defective, but I doubt that. Thanks again.

DavidCL23

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2001
NJ
Would the person who voted for other please give me the model number of the "other" camera.

Choppaface

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
SFBA
check out the review on the sony here: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydscf707/

this is an excellent review site IMO, I highly trust their reviews as a lot of things they mention (i.e. problems, issues, and compliments too) have been also mentioned to me by fellow pro photographers and pro photog equip stores

usually I'd go with a nikon coolpix b/c i had a *very* good experience with a coolpix 950 and I'm also a bit of a Nikon loyalist (currently have a D1x with several lenses) mainly because they've had EXCELLENT glass. there are some exceptions out there like the recent 5 megapixel coolpix (a friend of mine got one and it even crapped out on the first day of use)

as to the 20-30 picture issue, on pretty much all of the cameras with LCDs out there you will get about 15 to 30 minutes of life before 4AAs worth of batteries crap out. there's prolly some variation as I'm sure that some models work the LCD differently, but the thing just sucks battery power. even the rechargable lithium battery for my D1x only gives about 45 minutes to 1hr of shooting, and that thing is the size of 8 AA's (at least I assume so, since its about the size of the batter tray for my F5 which takes 8 AA's). basically you will want to either get a rechargable batter or carry lots of batteries if you're going to be taking this thing for a long trip. other options are to just turn the LCD off. if I turn off the LCD on my D1x I can get another half hour or so out of the rechargable lithium battery. I remember my mom's 950 ate 4 AAs in 15 min w/ the LCD on max, and lasted about an hour with the LCD off. course this means keeping the camera on the entire time; if you turn the camera off between shots you can save power. I've found that since I do mostly studio work I just got an AC adapter and leave the thing on all the time

resm

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2002
Singapore
digital camera

Fuji FinePix 4900Zoom

I have been using that camera for about 2 yrs now.

I used it on top of the swiss mountains at minus 10C and here in Singapore at 30C plus and never had any problems.
The battery (rechargeable lithium-ion) life is very good but it's always good to bring a spare one along (make sure it's charged) :)
that has usualy got me trough a one day trip with a 64 MB memory card with about 80 shot's at 1600/fine setting.

I use it for macro and tele photos and even for professional use (graphic design)

The picture quality is the best I have seen in the market and this brand is reasonable in prize.

I have about 1500 photos on my iMac downloaded and arranged in no time with iPhoto either directly from the camera or from a CD (saved to be save)

this is not the newest model
so you have to check out yourself what is the latest in the market

resm

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2002
Singapore
digital camera

one of my favorite shots taken with the Fuji FinePix 4900Zoom :)

Attachments

• roll 1 - 1087.jpeg
    roll 1 - 1087.jpeg
    29.6 KB · Views: 158
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.