Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lumiere

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2005
apple says phanter offer suppport for dts but i haven t found anything

does anyone know how to play DTS ( track of a video file )?

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
You don't say what type of Mac you have. You have to have a Mac that has built in support for optical digital audio output for the support in Panther to work and of course an appropriate set of speakers.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
combatcolin said:
Well iTunes dosn't like them thats for sure. :(

Tried to import a DTS Sting album and got no-where.
Not all the audio formats support more than 2 channels (stereo) of audio. I'm not surprised you didn't get much of anywhere.

lumiere

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2005
i´ve got an ibook 12 (coupled with a stereo set trough the audio output )so as far as i know it should be okay , shouldn´t it ?

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
lumiere said:
apple says phanter offer suppport for dts but i haven t found anything

does anyone know how to play DTS ( track of a video file )?

Panther will decode DTS through the digital output of a G5 (or new PowerBook) connected to a DTS enable receiver and speakers.

If you don't have a digital audio output as standard on your Mac, find an audio interface that has one (there are a few).

This will then play DTS from the DVD player through the digi out.

I'm not sure if Quicktime will deliver DTS from a file however.

combatcolin

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2004
Northants, UK
DTS is standard on virtually all AV amps, use one of these and buy youself a good set of speakers, you don't need massive speakers in a bedroom esp if your going to be sitting very close to them.

try http://www.kef.com for a good set.

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
CanadaRAM said:
??
In Yer Face?
Like, rap?

:D

Strangely I was fixing that as you were typing it seems, now I should change it back to keep the joke... :D

QuickTime will not play DTS or AC3 files from a file, only the DVD player will decode and play those, althought the DVD player will play both from a VIDEO_TS folder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.