Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
Re: !!!!!!?!!

Originally posted by FerrisWorld
Are you guys dumb or what?!!! Okay, I don't want to start anything, but I think it's very clear that the 1.25 is not going to be a 7470, nor overclocked!!!!!!

All the specs for all the machines are outlined on the goddamn G4 specs page, even for the 1.25 despite the fact that it hasn't been released!!! It says, just like for the 1Ghz, that the 1.25 has a 167Mhz FSB!!!!! If it was DDR it would be 333Mhz! Christ!

And I'm sure motorola will have 1.25Ghz 7455's in 6-8 weeks. They've had 1Ghz ones for over 6 months now!

Simmer down... Simmer down.... CHRIST ****ING SIMMER DOWN!!
Just because the 7470 can take advantage of DDR doesnt mean that it has to.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by alex_ant

Might want to take a course in Graph Reading 101. The benchmark isn't disclosed, there is no quantitative data, and the x axis isn't even labeled. It's a BS graph.

Is this an attempt at flaming me? Do you think I would post something without thinking about it in the first place? I don't think so.

I made my speculation, based on more than one graph, btw, and I still think you won't be seeing the 7470 in the 1.25 initial release. Not that it couldn't happen, though, its just not probable.

But if you'd like to wager here, I'd be more than willing to put something on the line for this - if you're up to a challenge?

D

FerrisWorld

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2002
America
Sorry

Hey, in response to simmer down, I wasn't boiling, I just panicked when I saw people getting their hopes up when it seems blatently obvious about the new machines. The dual 1.25 even has the same amounts of cache and everything as the 1Ghz.

cerid

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2002
Istanbul - Turkey
Some facts about G4 and G5

To my estimate the 1.25 GHz G4 Mac will have two 7455 processors. These processors are not overclocked, they are manufactured using the 0.13 micron process instead of the recent 0.15 micron one. The G5 communication processor MPC8560 makes use of this technology alreadily. Scaling the G4 to the new technology is not a straight forward process. Lot of testing is required to get a mature product.

Just to remember: The G3 was aimed to reach only 450 MHz, but with technology changes it has reached 700 MHz and more. So the same will be true for the G4. It will eventually reach 2 GHz according to the 0.13 micron technology.

Motorola is aware of the fact that without the introduction of a 333 MHz or faster memoy bus, there will be no substantial speed improvement. Large applications, which do not fit into cache RAM execute at a speed proportional to memory speed. Processor speed doubling at same memory speed increases throughput only by few tens of percent. An alternative solution to double throughput at same memory speed is to double data bus width from say recent 64 bits to 128 bits. This would however mean that memory modules have to used in pairs.

Let us wait a little bit more, and we will see new processors with substantially better performance and let us hope that Apple will design the required system interface and controller chip sufficiently fast.

ColdZero

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2002
<b>Are you guys dumb or what?!!! Okay, I don't want to start anything, but I think it's very clear that the 1.25 is not going to be a 7470, nor overclocked!!!!!!

All the specs for all the machines are outlined on the goddamn G4 specs page, even for the 1.25 despite the fact that it hasn't been released!!! It says, just like for the 1Ghz, that the 1.25 has a 167Mhz FSB!!!!! If it was DDR it would be 333Mhz! Christ!

And I'm sure motorola will have 1.25Ghz 7455's in 6-8 weeks. They've had 1Ghz ones for over 6 months now! </b>

ARE YOU DUMB OR WHAT?!!! :) The bus isn't 333Mhz, its 167Mhz. Even if it was a DDR bus, which it isn't, the bus would still be 167Mhz. DDR for 167 would have an EFFECTIVE bus speed of 333Mhz. Just like the P4 has a 400Mhz QDR bus, when in real life its only 100Mhz thats quad pumped. Do your homework next time before you go off on somebody. And I'm spent.

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
Originally posted by dukestreet
Is this an attempt at flaming me? Do you think I would post something without thinking about it in the first place? I don't think so.

I made my speculation, based on more than one graph, btw, and I still think you won't be seeing the 7470 in the 1.25 initial release. Not that it couldn't happen, though, its just not probable.

But if you'd like to wager here, I'd be more than willing to put something on the line for this - if you're up to a challenge?
No flameage intended - I just meant to point out that you were using a quite questionable graph as basis for your opinion. As for what CPU the 1.25GHz Mac will use, I think it will use a 7455 also, but not because of some crazy graph authored by Apple Marketing. :)

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I don't know what it is... each time people come up with conspiracy theories... and they've never panned out.

Look...

The 1.25 GHz G4's are simply faster versions of the current G4.

They are not the 7470.
The "7470" doesn't officially exist. It's a product of the rumor mills.

arn

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
Originally posted by arn
I don't know what it is... each time people come up with conspiracy theories... and they've never panned out.

Look...

The 1.25 GHz G4's are simply faster versions of the current G4.

They are not the 7470.
The "7470" doesn't officially exist. It's a product of the rumor mills.
The thing about conspiracy theories, though, is that they're fun. :)

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Fun as they may be, people get pissed off when they don't come true...

so, here are the options

1) Motorola increased the top speed of their current chip to 1.25ghz, just like they did before, and did before, and did before... and Apple put this chip in their machines.

or

2) Motorola did make a new chip that supports DDR FSB, but Steve Jobs and all of Apple thought it's be fun to hide this fact, and advertise it as a slower chip... so everyone could get all unhappy about it... so when the new machines finally do ship, they can surprise everyone!

arn

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
It has to be #2, of course. In fact, this new chip probably won't even be a 7470 - it will be an underclocked Motorola G5 with HyperTransport, overclockable to 2GHz in software. Obviously.

Megaquad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2001
It’s no doubt Motorola’s product. ->256K on-chip L2 cache running at processor speed

Or maybe it is standard 7455 re-engineered by Apple somehow? Seems insane but you never know..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.