Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Originally posted by MBMatt11
When I said opengl i meant quartz extreme. Sorry

Can anyone confirm that it works with extended desktop
It certainly seems to work, I am running dual screens and everything is smooth on both displays, I don't really know how I could test for sure.

daveg5

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2001
Re: Too many screens

Originally posted by legion
As long as we're talking about dual displays and the rumoured 30" Cinema, I just wanted to chime in that you can have too many screens and too much screen real estate.

At work I have a 5 monitor setup (all Sony PremierePro 24") each running at 1920 resolution. They're set up in an arc around me, bezel-to-bezel, and they're all connected to a Matrox solution for multi-monitoring and individual x86s and Macs for simple dual displaying. (They have fast input switching so you just press a button and you go from one continous screen dedicated to one Matrox system to a combined cluster with:
dual spanning connected to a mac setup using its private video card, dual spanning conected to a x86 setup using its private video card, and one monitor screen that's mirrored to a background Plasma HDTV for real-time playback. (I just realized it sounds like I'm just trying to make everyone jealous, but I actually have a point:p )

With that much space, it takes a lot of effort to use all the screens. Usually I'm just dedicated to two screens at a time. If I had a hi-res 30" Cinema, I'd either have to sit farther back (and loose detail) or have to constantly move my head to manage everything. That gets really tedious when working with programs. Think of the small movements made with a mouse to get around screen space and then realize your neck will have to do an exaggerated version of that movement all day. 30" flat panels have their place, but as TVs, not computer lcds. The only way to make something like this work is to have an arced 30" so that your face is always equidistant from the screen (and I'm sorry to have to mention this, but that was demonstarted in the workspace project from Microsoft last year:eek: )

Ok, 'nuff of my rant on the evils of too big, I know someone will always want bigger even if it is less funcitonal!:D
this is why programs like codeteks virtual desktop are so valueble. they can give you 100 independant screens each with diff setups and backgrounds and you simply select with a pager which screen you want, you can drag from one screen to the next and it saves the neck muscles, for notebooks its a must, for dual monitor setups it gives you more options, for single large monitor setups it can save you the cost, both purchase and energy, not to mention deskspace of a second monitor.
i have two monitors one 21" trinitron and a smaller 17. with virtual desktop i now use only the 21" as there is no need for the 17" anymore. i hope to have a 20" cinema next year with no dead pixels to go along with the 21", which i will keep for game playing, color photo work, and super high and low res non native resolutions lacking on the lcd.
anyway give it a try as a 3rd option till you get your second monitor, they have a free 2 screen demo, the 100 screen version is $30.
no i dont work for them, but i think it is a great product that should be in mac osx instead of expose, and will help many with one large monitor get the benefits of dual screens or a 100 screens on the cheap
anyway, let me know what you think?
peace

Squire

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2003
Canada
Are they ALL Samsung?

Originally posted by tazo
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him buy a Samsung.

Funny you mention that. I walked into a friend's house the other day. She had a brand new Samsung computer system, complete with 17" widescreen monitor. Hmmm, I thought, that looks a lot like my iMac's screen. I believe they are one in the same, just different badges.

BTW, who makes the 20" display for Apple? Is it also Samsung?

Squire

tazo

macrumors 68040
Re: Are they ALL Samsung?

Originally posted by Squire
Funny you mention that. I walked into a friend's house the other day. She had a brand new Samsung computer system, complete with 17" widescreen monitor. Hmmm, I thought, that looks a lot like my iMac's screen. I believe they are one in the same, just different badges.

BTW, who makes the 20" display for Apple? Is it also Samsung?

Squire

heh I don't know how manufactures their displys. Do you have a link to this widescreen monitor??

Datazoid

macrumors regular
May 10, 2002
Matt: Regarding the webpage you posted, it was only referring to [not] supporting 16MB Radeon cards on PowerBooks and iBooks....

PowerBook G4 550MHz and 667MHz with CD-RW, DVD or Combo drives, 16MB RAM with ATI Mobility Radeon**

PowerBook G4 667 and 800MHz, 32MB RAM with ATI Mobility Radeon 7500

iBook 600MHz and 700MHz, 16MB RAM with ATI Mobility Radeon**

**Quartz Extreme is not supported in extended desktop mode of multiple display configurations. Mirrored displays are supported.

Playfrsbee

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2002
I Disagree (gasp!) MAYBE

There's one exception to the overwhelming preference of 2-19's over 1-twenty inch. If you are doing VIDEO. Having the longer timeline is the best thing ever for running Final Cut Pro. Typically, people only use the 2nd monitor for keeping their clip viewer (list of clips available). And to me this is a big waste. With a widescreen monitor, you can keep your screen in the "3-UP" configuration, and everything is right in front of you, conserving desk space and neck rotation.

Of course, it'd doubtful that they person who asked this question is going to do video, as he mentioned wanting to use the monitor(s) with a PC--and why would you ever want to edit video on a windows machine?:D

That's it. Whatcha think?

Ethan

legion

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2003
Re: I Disagree (gasp!) MAYBE

Originally posted by Playfrsbee

Of course, it'd doubtful that they person who asked this question is going to do video, as he mentioned wanting to use the monitor(s) with a PC--and why would you ever want to edit video on a windows machine?:D

why edit video on windows....
Avid, Discreet, Pinnacle Liquid or going to animation, Maya, RenderMan...

You don't have to be either/or about platforms since there's definitely a place for x86 in video post (just most of the systems are above $10K, instead of a consumer price level) CineWave from Pinnacle and FCP are great for fast edits and in-field use, but I'd never render a final product on them. MHO and counterpoint:rolleyes:

Mac Kiwi

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2003
New Zealand
I have a G52ghz on order and am hoping for a Quadro card {drivers arriving for us that is},I also want a decent LCD,I have a neurological condition and am into 3d animation {C4D} the refresh rate of a crt screws with me something wicked.So how long does it take to get used to the annoying gap between the duals?,and what would you consider a really good Samsung {I hear good things about Samsungs and Iayama}with a low bezel edge width :) ...2 x at least 20s is what I am looking for,will have a 9800 if no Quadro turns up.

Thanks

Stu.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.