Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GyroFX

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 14, 2002
Los Angeles and NorCal
can someone tell me if changing the existing Geforce4mx with a radeon 8500 will help dramaticly?

Will the Logitech MouseMan Dual Optical work with OSX?

thanx

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2001
The mouse should work with OS X. I have hooked up old ADB mouses to my B&W and they work.

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
ummmmm...

Originally posted by krossfyter
dude dont switch out the gforce4....

well if you do give it to me:p

anyways it shouldnt be a problem the way you got it.

The Radeon 8500 beats the pants off the GF4mx, you must be thinking of the GF4Ti. The 4mx is basically a turbocharged 2mx.

GyroFX

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 14, 2002
Los Angeles and NorCal
thanx

yeah...the dual optical works fine...just that the forth button on the left side of the mouse has no function, yet...

Yeah...the Geforce4mx card isn't all that bad...maybe a i'll upgrade to Ti later.

Oh yeah, does anyone know where to buy cheap 512 ram for the mac at? The cheapest I've found is $105. And also, will regular PC133 rams for the pc work for G4s? The cheapest I've seen of those are 75 dollars. Thanx

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
go for it...

I've never purchased a video card from nVidia, but I did some research before picking up my 8500. At the time, it beat the GF4 in several tests, enough to give it a 10 out of 10 rating from the magazine. The GF4 didn't rate that high.

I would suggest getting it from someplace with a good return policy (user friendly). See if they will take it back, without a pesky restocking fee, if it doesn't perform as you need. They should allow it, depending on who you buy it from.

It would be interesting to get some real world comparisons between the two cards.

Has anyone else noticed that as soon as ATI releases a great card, nVidia scambles to make theirs better?? At this rate, as soon as you get one, the other company will come out with something better within a few months. The cycle never ends....

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Re: thanx

Originally posted by GyroFX
Oh yeah, does anyone know where to buy cheap 512 ram for the mac at? The cheapest I've found is $105. And also, will regular PC133 rams for the pc work for G4s? The cheapest I've seen of those are 75 dollars. Thanx

With memory, as well as most things in life, you get what you pay for. I would compare the specifications, as well as the brand of memory. While standard PC133 memory should function properly in your G4 tower, make sure that you get it from someplace with a buyer friendly return policy. Not a, "you installed it, it's yours" policy. If it is a matter of a few dollars between brand X memory and a name brand, I would go with the name brand.

Also, memory prices are none too stable at the moment... Make sure you get the price over the phone before ordering. Nothing worse then ordering it online for one price, only to get the invoice that shows more. While it may not be nice, they can get away with it (small print... prices subject to change without notice).

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
Re: dual 1Ghz machine questions

can someone tell me if changing the existing Geforce4mx with a radeon 8500 will help dramaticly?

Will the Logitech MouseMan Dual Optical work with OSX?

thanx

I don't know what you use your machine for but for my needs and wants I would go:
1) GF4MX
2) 8500
3) GF4Ti

8500 is much better than the GF4MX BUT only if you will use that extra power. It is no good buying more powerful items unless you utilise what they are capable of but if you are pushing your MX to the limit then the 8500 would put a nice smile on your dial.

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
Re: ummmmm...

Originally posted by Catfish_Man

The Radeon 8500 beats the pants off the GF4mx, you must be thinking of the GF4Ti. The 4mx is basically a turbocharged 2mx.

sorry my bad...i failed to read that carefully.

GyroFX

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 14, 2002
Los Angeles and NorCal
my needs

i'm using my machine to do graphical work on PS and movie/short film editing with FCP. So...by those standards, which one would you guys prefer? Thanx

GyroFX

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 14, 2002
Los Angeles and NorCal
another question

oh yeah...btw, the time on the right corner of OSX is displaying the time in 24 hour mode. I can't seem to change it no matter what, any suggestions?

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Re: another question

oh yeah...btw, the time on the right corner of OSX is displaying the time in 24 hour mode. I can't seem to change it no matter what, any suggestions?

Go into the System Preferences panel, to Date & Time and change the settings there.

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
Re: my needs

i'm using my machine to do graphical work on PS and movie/short film editing with FCP. So...by those standards, which one would you guys prefer? Thanx

I say the 8500 would be best for that.

And the Date and Time are very NOT customisable atm

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.