Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Santiago

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2002
Mountain View, California
Originally posted by yamadataro
I don't know any existing dual processor notebook computers, but I know there used to be a car called Amazoness with 4 engines (1 for each wheel, total of 10,000cc). Long time ago in Brazile I think. It was a shortlived car ;)

Some of the prototype electric cars in development have four independent motors in the wheel hubs. (These are pure electric cars, not gas-electric hybrids.)

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
wow, it might be nice to have an electric powered tibook...as opposed to one with a hot nuclear core at the center

...what the heck was steve job's thinking:)

JSRockit

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2002
NYC
Originally posted by ftaok
ME.

And I personally think that it took TOO long to get the SuperDrive Powerbook. Heck, the iBook should have a SuperDrive option (and a G4 as well).

Please...SuperDrives were only available in portables a few months before Apple offered it...and Apple's is the only slot loader.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Originally posted by JSRockit

Please...SuperDrives were only available in portables a few months before Apple offered it...and Apple's is the only slot loader.

slot loading superdrive one day in ibook would be cool

and slot loading cd and combo drive in very near future would also be nice

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
Originally posted by dukestreet
You will see dual processor and more laptops eventually, but remember, even with the 970 the extra processors will all be on the same chip - it will just have multiple cores.
D

I don't know where you got that info, but its not true. Or at least, no one knows this. The power 4, on which the 970 is based to a large extent, is a dual core chip. the 970 is most decidedly not a dual core chip. Thats not to say its not possible that they will make a version that has dual cores, but there is absolutely no evidence that this will ever be the case as far as I know. Remember, just because its based on the power 4 does not mean it will be issued in the same ways.

funkywhat2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2002
you know what would be cool? if the powerbook could have a video card that you could pop out of the back, so you could replace it easily. just un-screw a custom cover, so it looks nice, and pop the card out of a mini agp slot. you could still use mobility gpu's, just on replaceable cards.

now that would be cool!

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
Originally posted by dukestreet
You will see dual processor and more laptops eventually, but remember, even with the 970 the extra processors will all be on the same chip - it will just have multiple cores.

No way. power4 is Dual core, the 970 is made to be a tiny single core version.

go have a look somewhere on the IBM website (someone get link, sorry) and you will see the 970 is about half the die size of a power4. why? no dual core.

a power4 would not fit in a pbook case, a 970 would be about as big as a moto chip (wierd :D) and produce slightly less heat.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Originally posted by crazy_will
you know what would be cool? if the powerbook could have a video card that you could pop out of the back, so you could replace it easily. just un-screw a custom cover, so it looks nice, and pop the card out of a mini agp slot. you could still use mobility gpu's, just on replaceable cards.

now that would be cool!

i second that:D

i second that

I don't. I want things to be as difficult as possible. I want Apple to weld the graphics hardware to the motherboard so we have no chance to ever upgrade what we buy without buying a whole new machine. Sounds like I want an iMac!

And I want to pay through the nose for this inconvenience so that Apple has large profits and I can go on bragging to my PC-loving cohorts that Apple's a better computer company than most others out there. Yeah.

All you others on this list can think about is yourselves... what will YOU get out of it? Well, what about Apple? Hhhmmmm???? Remember what Kennedy said: Ask not what your computer company can do for you, but ask what you can do for your computer company.

Sheesh. I'm glad you guys have me on this list to keep you all straight.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.