Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

patbro92

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2018
Hi guys, I have the newer macbook pro 13''. I have 2 LG 27'' 4k monitors one is the 27UD58 and the other is the 27UD88 and a USB c 4k "triple display" pluggable dock and I've been trying to figure out how i can get them both working with 4k. As of now when i put the display on 4k resolution the screens look zoomed out so i can barely read the text. Needless to say i cant use them like that. Therefore ive been using them both on a 1080p setting which sucks considering how much these monitors cost and are capable of. Is there a solution to this problem? It seems like other people with the newer (usbc) macbooks are able to use 2 dual 4k monitors with theirs from what ive read so I dont understand what I'm missing here. Please help!

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
What you're missing is that 4K UHD at native resolution on a 27" monitor is too small a monitor size for many people. It would have been ideal if you could have gone and looked at an actual monitor connected to a Mac at 4K to see what it would have looked like before purchasing. But, in today's brick-and-mortar retail environment, that's not easy - I know because I made an attempt to do that and found that the retailer just hooked up many of their monitors to show some canned demo. The one I was looking for, a 27" 4K UHD monitor, wasn't available out of the box. I didn't buy. I came to the conclusion that 27" was too small.

It appears that you have used the System Preferences - Display pane to change your resolutions. This Apple article talks about that (see "Using an external display with your Retina display Mac").
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202471

With Sierra and High Sierra some scaling options that were formerly available disappeared or had pretty poor quality. I think a lot of people would like to have the option of using 2560x1440 on these monitors. There was a thread some months ago where the OP seemed to have tried many things to get an acceptable resolution but I don't think they ever were. There's an app called SwitchResX that may help (I think that was mentioned in that post). I just came across the following (which I pretty sure wasn't mentioned):
https://manytricks.com/resolutionator/

I have no idea if this works well or not. Use due diligence before trying out the software. You can download a trial version. The regular version is $3.00. I would avoid downloading this from any source other than the software maker - Many Tricks (I don't see it on the App Store).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.