Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gregg473

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2001
Please tell me that with an additional USB keyboard it will allow me to use my dual 800mhz CPU QuickSilver with two monitors & the GeForce 2 monitor video card as a siamese computer?

Like 2 people playing chopsticks on the piano.

Can both my girlfriend and I can run different applications at the same time on our same computer?

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
er....

no, it won't. An interesting idea... but the machine and the OS are designed for use by one person at a time.

The biggest problem would be focus... the OS isn't designed to handle two different mice/keyboard inputs at once... it wouldn't know where the input would go.

Now... if you had a dumb terminal running an X Windows client, you could run an X Server... but your apps would be limited.

I had heard NeXT Step had a client/server model... but it doesn't seem to have made it to Mac OS X.

Ideally, Apple will create such a thing where you can remotely launch OS X Apps from a striped down cheap Net iMac...

arn

Gregg473

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2001
While working with an early RadioShack color computer we loaded an early version of X-Windows (windows type of Unix, Not Microsoft), Hooked up a dumb terminal to the serial port (later a modem) and had two users on our color computer
16k of ram, 300 baud, 6509 or 6502 CPU I'm not sure which.

This was back in 1982.

We haven't advanced this far yet?

(Administrator please edit/delete the following
I was just injecting a bit of humor in multi-processing)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.