Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

haoqfu

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 29, 2006
Guys,
I'm thinking of picking up a new mac mini to drive 2 apple 24" led. here are my questions:

1. is there an hdmi to mini display port adapter that i can use to drive the 2nd 24" led? if so, how is the performance?

2. is there anyway i can output audio to the speakers of both monitors?

haoqfu

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 29, 2006
Why not just pick up a 27" imac?

I prefer dual screen set up to one big single screen, that way i have more horizontal views of the screen.

besides, i love the easier access of upgrading memory and hdd of mac mini.

actionman133

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2010
I think what he's referring to is that the moment you purchase a single cinema display with your Mac Mini, you're paying more than you would for an iMac anyway.

In the US, a Mac Mini with a wired keyboard and mouse with a single Cinema Display costs $1700. For the same money, you could get a 27 inch screen, significantly faster CPU, twice the RAM, 3 times the HDD capacity (with faster performance), a better graphics card and wireless keyboard and mouse. It makes sense to buy the iMac with a second display, unless you need two identical screens.

haoqfu

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 29, 2006
I think what he's referring to is that the moment you purchase a single cinema display with your Mac Mini, you're paying more than you would for an iMac anyway.

In the US, a Mac Mini with a wired keyboard and mouse with a single Cinema Display costs $1700. For the same money, you could get a 27 inch screen, significantly faster CPU, twice the RAM, 3 times the HDD capacity (with faster performance), a better graphics card and wireless keyboard and mouse. It makes sense to buy the iMac with a second display, unless you need two identical screens.

you are probably right. but i do prefer 2 identical screens.. and i guess both mac mini and cinema display have a higher reselling values than imac.

mluters

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2010
I used to run two 24" ACD from a 2009 Mac mini with one connected to the mini display port and the other connected to the mini DVI port via a Atlona AT-DP200 DVI to Mini DisplayPort Converter. Worked great with no problems. The 2010 Mac Mini has a better graphics card so I think it will have no issues at all.

haoqfu

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 29, 2006
I used to run two 24" ACD from a 2009 Mac mini with one connected to the mini display port and the other connected to the mini DVI port via a Atlona AT-DP200 DVI to Mini DisplayPort Converter. Worked great with no problems. The 2010 Mac Mini has a better graphics card so I think it will have no issues at all.

thanks for reply. were you able to adjust the screen brightness for both displays? and were you only able to use the speakers/camera on one of the screens?

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
I prefer dual screen set up to one big single screen, that way i have more horizontal views of the screen.

besides, i love the easier access of upgrading memory and hdd of mac mini.

The RAM is easy to upgrade, upgrade HD will void warranty on the mini.
Also mini uses 2.5" HDs which are slower, smaller and more expensive.

iMac+Dell U2711 will give two identical displays (although will be more expensive), but I guess since you're going min +2x Apple LED that money aren't the issue. The iMac will also be a lot faster the quadcore i5 eats the dualcore C2D.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.