Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
Hi guys, just a quick question, there is no way to have a "harddrive" icon for the boot drive when using the Apricorn velcoity Duo X2 right?

I just got one and loving it, the icon thing isn't a huge issue, but it'd be nice if they weren't the external drive icons.

Do you mean a HDD/SSD icon on your bootscreen (boot or restart) or on/in your desktop/finder?

Cheers

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
*Finder:

ScreenCap%202016-03-19%20at%2017.53.17.jpg

*Desktop:

ScreenCap%202016-08-24%20at%2016.31.52.jpg

DUOX2_OSXYOS_5 and WIN81PROX64 are my drives on the DUO x2!

NOTE THAT: Disk Utility will never show the drives type with those icons!

ScreenCap%202016-08-24%20at%2016.27.58.jpg

Both external drives for both HDD/SSD's can be changed:
1. Right-Click on your drives
2. Select "get info"
3. Select and drag an *.ICNS icon and just drop it on the upper left standard icon tray (blue rectangle)

ScreenCap%202016-08-24%20at%2016.17.55.jpg

Your Desktop / Finder wil now show your new selected icon!

Cheers

Last edited:

theunderseaclub

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2008
holy cow, thank you so much!! I'll give that a try tmrw at work. Thanks!

I never knew you can do that without software (and now that SIP is enabled with El Cap).

Times to search for some harddrive icons and hit up photoshop. Would love to have custom icons for my raid 0, backup raid 0, and scratch disk SSD!

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
Hi guys, just a quick question, there is no way to have a "harddrive" icon for the boot drive when using the Apricorn velcoity Duo X2 right?

I just got one and loving it, the icon thing isn't a huge issue, but it'd be nice if they weren't the external drive icons.

You can edit the icon and put whatever you want there.

Do a right-click "Get Info" on the drive, then find an icon you like (Google) and copy it ... then paste it on the icon at the top of the disk info window you previously opened.

phairphan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2005
Reject Beach
*Finder:

DUOX2_OSXYOS_5 and WIN81PROX64 are my drives on the DUO x2!

NOTE THAT: Disk Utility will never show the drives type with those icons!

Both external drives for both HDD/SSD's can be changed:
1. Right-Click on your drives
2. Select "get info"
3. Select and drag an *.ICNS icon and just drop it on the upper left standard icon tray (blue rectangle)

Your Desktop / Finder wil now show your new selected icon!

Cheers

I like those icons. Do you mind sharing where they're from?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong

You can use whatever icon you want, but you have to change it by yourself. The system will gives you the default "external" HDD icon.

Also, for El Capitan or later, you have to disable SIP in order to change the boot drive icon.

Reactions: hfg and m4v3r1ck

theunderseaclub

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2008
Ah, that's what I thought, I'm thinking about disabling SIP anyway because I really want to use Xtrafinder or Totalfinder. Apple's Finder is almost archaic..

Reactions: Powermange

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012

Sure, the copy, paste method, after not working for awhile (due to rootless) is back to working again.

Right now, I'm in Sierra and tried it, and it is still working. Simply, in the finder, use the Get Info Command in the Apple menu under File. Get Info on the icon you want, select the icon (upper left in the box) then use the Copy command under Edit. Get Info on the icon you want to change, select the icon, and use the Paste Command.

Lou

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
^^^^
WOW @flowrider, so did they change the SIP in any way for Sierra? I'm stil on 10.10.5. For the Windows SSD I mounted the drive using the Paragon NTFS driver (trial) to get write permissions for that drive.

Cheers

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
FWIW:

As I am finalizing my EFI Windows 10 Pro x64 (AU-1607-14393.321) installation (upgraded from Windows 8.1 Pro) with my new macEFI flashed GTX-680-FTW-4GB I was checking Device Manager for any missing/not working drivers. I came across three "Marvell Console" items that were marked with a (?). I checked the installed controller chipset on the Velocity DUO x2 which is the Marvell 9230 SATA Controller Chipset.

As I did not find any software/drivers for Windows 10 on the Apricorn website I did a search on Google and found the Marvell Raid Software and Drivers package:

http://www.station-drivers.com/inde...itory&Itemid=353&func=startdown&id=71&lang=en

I installed the msu and the DUO x2 now has the correct drivers, (?) marks are gone. Here're some screens of the included software (PC) for the Apricorn Velocity DUO x2:

Marvell_9230_drivers_software_1.JPG

Marvell_9230_drivers_software_2.JPG

Marvell_9230_drivers_software_3.JPG

Marvell_9230_drivers_software_4.JPG

Marvell_9230_drivers_software_3.JPG

As I'm not sure that creating a hardware RAID0 is possible in a booted Windows system on a Mac, perhaps someone with more technical knowledge could chime in? If confirmed it's possible, I would like to give that a shot as well! The package includes the MarvellCLI and teh FlashCLI.

Cheers

Last edited:

Auggie

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2017
Got it working! Bootable Windows and Mac OS X partitions are possible on the Duo with RAID enabled.

A little older thread, but I want to confirm that you had hardware RAID enabled (through a PC or booted into Windows on another partition or drive in the Mac) and not software RAID when you successfully installed bootable OS X and Windows on two separate partitions on RAID'd SSDs on the Duo x2

You also mentioned that this would only work when Windows was on the "first" (user created) partition, yes? If I recall correctly (it's been a LONG time since I created my triple-booting 2TB Windows XP/7/10 MBR drive), it has to do with Windows entry having to be in the first 3 partitions, and since OS X creates invisible system partitions in the beginning (two now, including the Recovery partition), this may require you to install Windows on the first user-created partition (partition #3).

I'd like both to do RAID to extend my OS X volume size, as well as Boot Camp in order to get Windows on SSD. Since I have an EVO Pro 2TB that means I need another 2TB, but I don't need or want a full 2TB to be assigned to my Windows partition.

Last edited:

DJGK

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2017
Hi there.
Just wondering if anybody ever got Windows booting correctly on a Velocity Solo x2 on a Mac Pro 3,1?
If so, could you explain how please.
I have tried Bootcamp, cloning Windows partition with WinClone, installing Windows on one of the drive bays first, and a great deal of other methods like using reFind as a bootloader with no success so far.
Ideally I'd like to only have a clean install of Windows on an SSD on my Apricorn Solo x2 (slot 2 PCIe), but am happy to have both OSX and Windows on a single drive on this card also.

Has anybody here had any success with any of these configs?

Thanks.

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
Hi DJGK,

Glad to see you've found this thread!

I still use the SOLO x2 in my Mac Pro 3.1 but only use it to boot OS X.

1. Have you tried installing Windows on the SSD in drive bay #1 whilst the SOLO x2 is seated in PCIe slot #2? It's important that while installing Windows you get the drivers installed for the SOLO x2 for when you later boot Windows of it!

For safety precautions remove all other internal and external drives attached to your Mac!

OR

2. The only other advise I can give you is to get the DUO x2. I can confirm that it will boot both Windows and macOS from the same card in both Mac Pro 3.1 and now my 5.1.

Please note also that installing Windows while your SSD is mounted in drive bay #1 - without any other drives in the Mac present is the safest way to go. Keep the DUO x2 installed in PCIe slot #2 while installing Windows too!

BTW: I'm sorry that all my screen-caps in this thread are lost because of the changed business model at DropBox, killing all free data-plans

Last edited:

DJGK

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2017
Hi DJGK,

Glad to see you've found this thread!

I still use the SOLO x2 in my Mac Pro 3.1 but only use it to boot OS X.

1. Have you tried installing Windows on the SSD in drive bay #1 whilst the SOLO x2 is seated in PCIe slot #2? It's important that while installing Windows you get the drivers installed for the SOLO x2 for when you later boot Windows of it!

For safety precautions remove all other internal and external drives attached to your Mac!

OR

2. The only other advise I can give you is to get the DUO x2. I can confirm that it will boot both Windows and macOS from the same card in both Mac Pro 3.1 and now my 5.1.

Please note also that installing Windows while your SSD is mounted in drive bay #1 - without any other drives in the Mac present is the safest way to go. Keep the DUO x2 installed in PCIe slot #2 while installing Windows too!

BTW: I'm sorry that all my screen-caps in this thread are lost because of the changed business model at DropBox, killing all free data-plans

Thanks for your reply.
I tried what you said and installed the driver correctly in Windows while the SSD was in Bay 1. I can see the Velocity card in Device Manager and it was in PCIe slot 2. Still a no-go unfortunately. No other drives are connected. No other PCIe cards apart from my gfx card in slot 1. So weird.

I'll try my luck with a DUO. I'll run Sierra on one SSD and Windows 10 on another SSD with it. It would be nice if my Mac Pro 3,1 had more than 2 x PCIe 2.0 slots, then I could use another slot for this Solo x2. No real benefit compared to the existing Sata2 drive bay slots. Ah well, the Solo x2 might come in handy somewhere else some day.

Last edited:

DJGK

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2017
Thanks for your reply.
I tried what you said and installed the driver correctly in Windows while the SSD was in Bay 1. I can see the Velocity card in Device Manager and it was in PCIe slot 2. Still a no-go unfortunately. No other drives are connected. No other PCIe cards apart from my gfx card in slot 1. So weird.

I'll try my luck with a DUO. I'll run Sierra on one SSD and Windows 10 on another SSD with it. It would be nice if my Mac Pro 3,1 had more than 2 x PCIe 2.0 slots, then I could use another slot for this Solo x2. No real benefit compared to the existing Sata2 drive bay slots. Ah well, the Solo x2 might come in handy somewhere else some day.

Hi all.
For what it is worth. To anyone coming to this thread looking to find a solution to the same problem I have with the Solo X2.
These instructions (although they did not work for me on my 3,1) are from Apricorn Tech Support. Maybe it can help you.

We recommend the following steps for the X2 and boot camp:

Boot Camp instructions for Mac Pro3,1 4,1 5,1 using Velocity Solo X1 or X2.

*Remove any other 3rd party products from the Mac. Particularly other PCI expansion cards. Add them back in one at a time after completing these steps.

1. With a OSX SSD mounted to an internal SATA port start the Boot Camp Assistant. The Boot Camp Assistant will partition the drive in preparation for the Windows installation, and will download Mac Boot Camp drivers for Windows. Save the Boot Camp files to a USB drive.

2. Once the downloading and partitioning are done the Boot Camp Assistant will reboot the computer from the Windows installation DVD. Install Windows as normal.

3. When windows finishes installing, install the Boot Camp support files into Windows you downloaded in step 1. Reboot as needed. Apply all Windows Updates.

4. Shut down Windows and then install the blank Solo into an available PCIe slot. (with no drives attached)

5. Boot Windows and let it automatically install drivers for the new storage control it detects. (the Solo)

6. Use the Boot Camp control panel from the system tray to reboot into OSX.

7. Enter the System preferences in OSX and make sure that OSX is picked as the startup disk. Shutdown OSX.

8. Move the SSD to the Solo.

9. Boot up OSX from the SSD mounted on the Solo.

10. Use the Boot Camp control panel to choose between operating systems. (This is in Windows OS after you install Bootcamp Support drivers via the Bootcamp.exe - Find it in your Windows Control Panel.)

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
Yikes! when did this happen, you mention "all free plans", I have now, and have ever only had the Free DropBox plan.
Over the past few years I've earned up to 12GB, what with their free add-ons etc., anyhow I have never seem any indications that they want to cancel my plan.
Is this something I can look forward to in the future?

Last edited:

DJGK

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2017
Hi.
I'm back again. So I received the Apricorn Velocity Duo x2, yet this won't even boot a Mac OSX install. Not from either slot on the card. The OSX install boots fine on the Solo X2.

Can you please explain how you got your DUO to boot in NON-RAID mode? My intention is to have OSX on one SSD and Windows on another SSD on the same DUO card.

Thanks mate.

Reactions: m4v3r1ck

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^Are you running the Solo and Duo together? If so, see this, written 2 years ago:

See my Posts on this thread beginning with Post #222.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1721573/

There is a conflict when using the Solo x2 and the Duo x2 together. I had a similar issue, but worked with the folks at Apricorn and they solved it with a firmware charge to the Solo card. But again, read all my posts on that thread. However, I never received the Question Mark. As I stated, it would not boot from the Solo, but always reverted to the Duo, until I received a card with new firmware.

Lou

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
Hi.
I'm back again. So I received the Apricorn Velocity Duo x2, yet this won't even boot a Mac OSX install. Not from either slot on the card. The OSX install boots fine on the Solo X2.

Can you please explain how you got your DUO to boot in NON-RAID mode? My intention is to have OSX on one SSD and Windows on another SSD on the same DUO card.

Thanks mate.

Be sure the Duo card isn't configured in the hardware RAID mode (requires a PC to change as I recall ... but a new card should come in separate non-RAID mode by default).

I currently have the Duo card in my 2012 Mac Pro with OS X on one SSD and Windows 10 on another SSD ... and can easily boot from either operating system.

DJGK

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2017
Be sure the Duo card isn't configured in the hardware RAID mode (requires a PC to change as I recall ... but a new card should come in separate non-RAID mode by default).

I currently have the Duo card in my 2012 Mac Pro with OS X on one SSD and Windows 10 on another SSD ... and can easily boot from either operating system.

Hey mate.

Yeah. This DUO is brand new from Amazon. I haven't configured it in RAID mode and I don't want it to be in RAID mode. I want One drive on it for Win and one drive on it for OSX. I should probably stick it in a PC and see if it is configured in RAID mode though (good call on that one).

I have tried a fresh install of Win 10 on a single drive that boots fine on Drive bays but won't boot on DUO. I have also tried a fresh install of OSX Mavericks on another drive (by itself on the DUO) and it won't boot. I have tried each PCIe slot on my Mac Pro 3,1 with no success.

The only success I have had so far with booting is that fresh OSX install on a Solo x2 card.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Hey mate.

Yeah. This DUO is brand new from Amazon. I haven't configured it in RAID mode and I don't want it to be in RAID mode. I want One drive on it for Win and one drive on it for OSX. I should probably stick it in a PC and see if it is configured in RAID mode though (good call on that one).

I have tried a fresh install of Win 10 on a single drive that boots fine on Drive bays but won't boot on DUO. I have also tried a fresh install of OSX Mavericks on another drive (by itself on the DUO) and it won't boot. I have tried each PCIe slot on my Mac Pro 3,1 with no success.

The only success I have had so far with booting is that fresh OSX install on a Solo x2 card.

Do the drives actually mount? Can't boot and can't use are very different. If the card is in RAID mode, the drive (format and content) should not even able to be recognised by the OS.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
Hey mate.

One thing you want to do while you are booting Windows from a drive bay, be sure the DUO card is installed in a slot so that Windows can detect it and load any required drivers for the card. Then, it should be a simple move of the SSD from the drive tray to the DUO card and boot it up (at least it was for mine).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.