Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DoctorFedora

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
So I'm curious to try out Yosemite when it actually becomes available on the public beta program, but given that I also derive my income from using my computer, I'm loath to make it my daily driver right away. I have a Windows Boot Camp partition, but does anyone know how one would go about setting up a dual boot of Yosemite? Bonus points if I can use the same ~ folder.

HarryT

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2013
Simply open Disk Utility and add a new partition to your drive (click the little + button on your main OS drive). Then make sure you are happy with the sizes of each (I recommend at least 60GB for Yosemite).

Then click partition.

After downloading Yosemite the installer will ask which disk to install it on. Click 'Show All Disks' and select your new partition.

Once installed the mac will automatically boot to Yosemite every time. To go back to your old OS hold Option whilst booting and you will be presented with the different OS's you have installed.

As a side note there seems to be a bug with this so you might have to select 'OSX Installer' then click 'Choose startup disk' and select your old OS that way.

Yakibomb

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2014
Cape Town
Exactly what @HarryT,

Don't think you'll be able to share user/home folders though, you could use Migration Assistant if you really wanted the files on your Yosemite files, or you just navigate to them through Finder and grant your self permission to view them

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.